Elene Gedevanishvili | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Elene Gedevanishvili

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
well, bebe woudl have to move across country.... she has always been here in CA, her family is here. I think that Bebe would not want to move across the country. I somtimes think that Robin's sucess with Sarah was just pure lucky in that they worked well togther, i think that Robin expects to much of her skaters and tat her temperment isn't always the most desirable . Just a guess.

I have to agree with you Robin always seemed to have Sarah very well prepared. After Sarah won the Olympics I thought Robin would get a lot of new athletes, but we have yet to see any emerge from her teaching.
Actually, if you go to IceNetwork and click on the MidWest Regionals, you will see a vastly improved Rohene Ward. I don't know how much she put into him getting that improvement but he looks like a top 5 Worlds finisher.

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Robin Wagner was not involved in the coaching of Rohene Ward last season (she took time off from coaching). Sorry for the thread drift.

Back to Elene Gedevanishvili... I've heard unofficially that she may no longer be working with Galina Zmievskaya in NJ (not confirmed info).

Last edited:

zephyrskates

On the Ice
Robin Wagner was not involved in the coaching of Rohene Ward last season (she took time off from coaching). Sorry for the thread drift.

Back to Elene Gedevanishvili... I've heard unofficially that she may no longer be working with Galina Zmievskaya in NJ (not confirmed info).

change in coaching again? i

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
change in coaching again? i
Wouldn't surprise me all that much. Elene and her parents had to make a very fast decision after training with Vodorezova was no longer an option. I always questioned the choice of Elene's parents to send her to Zmievskaya instead of Kondrashova in Estonia as was agreed upon earlier. Not that the latter is a better coach or anything, but it would have been a smoother transition from Vodorezova; I thought her parents just wanted to send their daughter to the biggest name they could find. Unfortunately, there was no time for them to give it a test run and figure out what did and did not work. I hope whatever move Elene does make will be successful.

Actually, if you go to IceNetwork and click on the MidWest Regionals, you will see a vastly improved Rohene Ward. I don't know how much she put into him getting that improvement but he looks like a top 5 Worlds finisher.
That's good to hear (I'm at work, so can't exactly look at videos now). The question is - how will his nerves hold up during Nationals. His skating at practices and warm-ups has long been amazing. I will be very happy, thought, if he does conquer his demons to skate well at Nationals or beyond.

Last edited:

netnuts

Match Penalty
I doubt she will have sufficient funding to continue training in the States. She got some money from her federation after a terrific Olys debut. But since then, she's in a downward spiral, I don't think her federation has the financial capacity and willingness to place a bet on her. Training is very expensive in the States.

That's good to hear (I'm at work, so can't exactly look at videos now). The question is - how will his nerves hold up during Nationals. His skating at practices and warm-ups has long been amazing. I will be very happy, thought, if he does conquer his demons to skate well at Nationals or beyond.
That was last season, but what you say about Nationals which he didn't qualify for was exactly how he skated in Sectionals. Anyway, I think you will enjoy the Regional's skate and see what he could and should be doing.

BTW - Is Elene in Hackensack, definitely? There are Russian coaches there who I am sure would take her under their wing. Roman Serov from Israel trains there (or did). I think he is now a coach somewhere.

Joe

doubleaxel

Rinkside
do you guys think that she could come back strong this season?
do you think that she can be a contender at the 2008 world championships and maybe the 2010 olympics?
what does she have (or lack) as a skater?
and what do you think she can improve on this season..

Elene is training in Wayne, New Jersey - in fact, at my local rink, Ice Vault. I often see her on Saturdays, first training and then sometimes teaching Learn to Skate kids. I must say that her 3lz/2t is very strong, but she is having some issues with 3f/3t... but that will come with more practices, I guess. She's also working on a lot of new choreography and Galina looks really serious during lessons all the time. :cool:

Her coach is Galina Zmeyievskaya, and choreographer - Nina Petrenko. Elene has a lot of friends at the rink, and she seems very outgoing & cheerful. Recently our local Sports Magazine even had a whole section dedicated to Elene's skating and her transfer to America. Looks like she plans on staying.

What Elene lacks is consistency. She has the ability and concentration to do the jumps, it's just the lack of practice that has really weighed her down. One moment I see her do a clean 3lz/3t, the next... she pops the lutz. But I can tell that she is working very hard and most definitely, has high hopes for the next season.

doubleaxel

Rinkside
Does Elene speak English well?

I can't give you a definite answer since I've spoke to her only once and in Russian (not as in conversation, though, just said 'Hi, how are you' etc). But I've heard her talking to other skaters and surprisingly she barely has an accent. The little kids love her, Elene seems really sweet to everyone.

netnuts

Match Penalty
I can't give you a definite answer since I've spoke to her only once and in Russian (not as in conversation, though, just said 'Hi, how are you' etc). But I've heard her talking to other skaters and surprisingly she barely has an accent. The little kids love her, Elene seems really sweet to everyone.

Is she still training at your rink these days? I'm surprised that she can find sufficient funding to continue training in the States. Who's sponsoring her?

doubleaxel

Rinkside
Is she still training at your rink these days? I'm surprised that she can find sufficient funding to continue training in the States. Who's sponsoring her?

I saw her last week and I don't recall any change of plans and whatnot. And she is planning on staying at my rink for the whole 07-08 season, I believe.

I have no clue who her sponsor is, though.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I doubt she will have sufficient funding to continue training in the States. She got some money from her federation after a terrific Olys debut. But since then, she's in a downward spiral, I don't think her federation has the financial capacity and willingness to place a bet on her. Training is very expensive in the States.
As I understand it , after Elene had to leave Russia, she became a national hero of sorts. According to Vodorezova, just having her place in top 10 at major competitions was enough for the Georgia. As I see it, her funding comes directly from the Georgian government and/or sponsors, not from the figure skating federation. I don´t think this will dry up any time soon.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Can someone please check the Russian sportcom.ru site and skim their coverage of Weir going to Galina Zmievskaya? Does it actually confirm that Elene Gedevanishvili has left Wayne and is now training in Hackensack with Roman Serov? TIA.

Last edited:

Snowgirl

On the Ice
It's said there: "According to Sportcom information, Elene Gedevanishvili has left Galina Zmievskaja and now is coached by Roman Serov in Hackensack"