Elizaveta Nugumanova | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Elizaveta Nugumanova

The Finn

Record Breaker
It seems Liza aims to qualify to the Russian Championships because she is on the senior entry list of 4th stage of Russian Cup.

It is not given that she will make it though. She will face Zagitova and Stasya here among others and then she will have to do well at the 5th event also. At the moment I would say that she would have to be atleast 3rd and 2nd (or 2nd and 3rd) at the 4th and 5th Russian cup events if she wants to skate at the senior Championships.

Last edited:

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
It seems Liza aims to qualify to the Russian Championships because she is on the senior entry list of 4th stage of Russian Cup.

It is not given that she will make it though. She will face Zagitova and Stasya here among others and then she will have to do well at the 5th event also. At the moment I would say that she would have to be atleast 3rd and 2nd (or 2nd and 3rd) at the 4th and 5th Russian cup events if she wants to skate at the senior Championships.

I don't quite understand the qualification rules there, but why is she aiming for the Senior Championships considering the age limit? :scratch2:

The Finn

Record Breaker
I don't quite understand the qualification rules there, but why is she aiming for the Senior Championships considering the age limit? :scratch2:

International age rules doesn't apply in domestic competitions. She can skate at the senior Championships if she can qualify there. The qualification is very similar to that of GP series. She needs to skate at two different Russian Cup events and do well enough to qualify.

RadioFan

Match Penalty
She can skate at the senior Championships if she can qualify there.

The aage limit is 14 if i recall well. Also many exceptions can be made. See Fedchkina last year, who couldd have compete at age 13 because she reached junior finals or something.

The Finn

Record Breaker
The aage limit is 14 if i recall well. Also many exceptions can be made. See Fedchkina last year, who couldd have compete at age 13 because she reached junior finals or something.

It is not 14 and Fedichkina was no exception since those who have made it to the JGP final can skate at the Senior Championships if they so choose, and this includes pairs and Ice dance teams also, although no ice dance teams have chosen to take part to the senior championships lately. So, there are no exceptions but rather this is how it works. It is pretty much a sure thing that Nastia Gubanova, Polina Tsurskaya and Alina Zagitova will all skate at the senior championships. And top of that Fedichkina, lozko, Nugumanova and Mikhailova could make it there also. So, 7 skaters out of 18 skaters at the senior championships might be skaters who can't skate senior events internationally.

Last edited:

Pracygr

On the Ice
There is an age limit formally. It's defined by competition regulation for each season, and for season 16/17 (just as for many seasons before) the limit is set at 14 years of age. However, the actual list of competitors for each year is decided by so called "coach council", which in the end can override any formal rule including age limit. That makes all of the qualification requirements more or less just recommendations.

Fedichkina's case isn't even particularly exceptional with her being only several days shy of 14 at the moment of competition. Medvedeva competed in her first Nationals at 12, and Sotnikova won her first Nationals at the same age.

The Finn

Record Breaker
There is an age limit formally. It's defined by competition regulation for each season, and for season 16/17 (just as for many seasons before) the limit is set at 14 years of age. However, the actual list of competitors for each year is decided by so called "coach council", which in the end can override any formal rule including age limit. That makes all of the qualification requirements more or less just recommendations.

I think this reflects the common practice pretty accurately.

Participants: no restrictions on the age of participants is not. Since the late 2000s in the competition involved children ranging from 11 years.
http://www.fskate.ru/info/competitions/4/

Fedichkina's case isn't even particularly exceptional with her being only several days shy of 14 at the moment of competition. Medvedeva competed in her first Nationals at 12, and Sotnikova won her first Nationals at the same age.

There was absolutely nothing exceptional here, age-wise. Liza Tuk was an exceptional case because she skated her 1st senior championships at the age of 11. There are also other ladies who have skated their 1st senior championships at the age of 12.

Pracygr

On the Ice
I think this reflects the common practice pretty accurately.

http://www.fskate.ru/info/competitions/4/
Well, you're quoting a community website, and the link I provided goes to official Russian skating federation document with signature, seal, and everything. As I said, the actual practice is that the final list of competitors is decided by a board of people, not qualification with formal criteria. Those people can write whoever they want in that list, though of course they don't stray too far from written rules, but exceptions are made frequently and not only when age is concerned. You have to overrule more than just age limit to allow 11-12 y.o. to compete. The competition is formally between skaters carrying "master of sports" titles and you can't possibly attain one at 11 or 12.

The Finn

Record Breaker
Those people can write whoever they want in that list, though of course they don't stray too far from written rules, but exceptions are made frequently and not only when age is concerned. You have to overrule more than just age limit to allow 11-12 y.o. to compete. The competition is formally between skaters carrying "master of sports" titles and you can't possibly attain one at 11 or 12.

It is not common that 12 y.o. are even trying to qualify senior championships. None were trying this year. However, it is a very common practice that those who are at Liza's age can skate at the senior championships if they can qualify there.

Pracygr

On the Ice
It is not common that 12 y.o. are even trying to qualify senior championships. None were trying this year. However, it is a very common practice that those who are at Liza's age can skate at the senior championships if they can qualify there.
Liza is already old enough to compete without limitations. But for younger skaters there's a lot less incentive to try to qualify for senior events now, since the lineup has evened up significantly across all age groups, and it's much harder for very young skaters to make it past their older competitors. That is if you even allowed to try to qualify in the first place. Age restrictions seem to be getting more strictly enforced now. AFAIK 11 y.o. from Moscow region aren't allowed to participate in cup events, not even in junior bracket. You might have noticed that Aliona Kanysheva is attending many second tier competitions (and doing well), but hasn't competed in any cup events. I guess with a number of already accomplished seniors there's no need for federation to rush juniors into the system.

The Finn

Record Breaker
Liza is already old enough to compete without limitations. But for younger skaters there's a lot less incentive to try to qualify for senior events now, since the lineup has evened up significantly across all age groups, and it's much harder for very young skaters to make it past their older competitors.

Yep, that is very true. It is very difficult for younger girls to make it to the junior championships nowadays and because making it to the junior championships is well enough challenging for them there is no need for them to even think about senior championships. And personally I think it is better this way.

Last edited: