Emanuel Sandhu - Well It had to Happen.... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Emanuel Sandhu - Well It had to Happen....

To me, Eman was one of a kind. Like Toller Cranston. They didn't win a world championship, but the sport is a happier one beause they were in it.

astimegoesby

On the Ice
Are we sure he wanted out of the comps or was it the Canadian Federation?

I guess that depends on whether you believe the official news release on the first page of this thread or personal accounts from people on certain other boards. :p

But regardless of whether or not this break was Emanuel's own decision, I agree it's the best thing that could happen to him right now. For the past few years, it seems to me he doesn't seem to know what he wants and even Joanne MacLeod told him so.

I know Emanuel has never been a consistent competitor, but when the jumps weren't there for him in the past, the rest of his programs were still entertaining and artistic. With a few exceptions (2006 Worlds LP, 2007 Canadians LP), Emanuel just doesn't seem to have the same passion in his programs he once had and didn't even seem to care about his competitive results. I actually thought he was going to literally give up and skate off the ice during the middle of his 2006 Olympics LP.

He had/has the passion for performing but not for competing, imo.

I agree, and I think it's a shame there's no longer much of a pro skating circuit anymore because I think Emanuel would truly shine there if the opportunity was there for him.

To me, Eman was one of a kind. Like Toller Cranston. They didn't win a world championship, but the sport is a happier one beause they were in it.

The main difference, of course, was Toller was usually a strong, consistent free skater. It was compulsory figures which prevented him from winning a World or Olympic title.

I always wondered what would happen if Toller ever coached or choreographed for Emanuel? My guess is they'd probably either get along wonderfully or kill each other...or maybe both? :laugh:

But regardless of whether Emanuel returns to the ice, I hope he'll settle down and discover what he does want to do in the future--whether it be skating, singing, modelling or something else.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Perhaps Emanuel would do better as an ice dancer? He could focus on the dance elements, footwork, and choreography which he is so good at and avoid getting penalized for inconsistent jumps.

I always thought so too...but Emanuel likes the spotlight on himself. I don't think a partnership would work for the "E" man.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
He may be inconsistent with the jumps but when he does land them, they are things of striking beauty.

I would take Eman's big, beautiful, airy jumps (with their great balletic height, his stretched and extended limbs, his pointed feet, the run-out and flow in his landings....) any day over jumps that barely get off the ice (Lambiel, Oda, Takahashi...) or sloppy, muscled, forced jumps (Plushenko, Joubert, Verner...).

Watching Eman jump is like watching a bird in flight (natural, effortless, beautiful).

With that said, I agree he would also make a great Ice Dancer.

Very well put. I have seen Emanuel skate live and when he is in true form it is a thing of beauty. He can move to any beat. He definitely did leave his mark on skating as someone stated. Emanuel should open a skating clinic and teach the younger skaters how to skate and what to do with their arms and feet. They should also study his line. It is perfect.

I wish Emanuel well in whatever he decides to do in the future. Hopefully, he will continue to entertain us on the ice for awhile longer.

Thanks to all for your response.

:clap:

jp1andonly

Rinkside
He'd probably snicker at them or make faces. However, that was a couple years ago that he would have done that and I hope by now he's gained a bit of maturity.

And yes, I have witnessed his lovely personality..especially when he was making fun of someone on the ice who wasn't a stick figure.

I do agree he has beautiful lines and did put a stamp on the Canadian skating world.

Very well put. I have seen Emanuel skate live and when he is in true form it is a thing of beauty. He can move to any beat. He definitely did leave his mark on skating as someone stated. Emanuel should open a skating clinic and teach the younger skaters how to skate and what to do with their arms and feet. They should also study his line. It is perfect.

I wish Emanuel well in whatever he decides to do in the future. Hopefully, he will continue to entertain us on the ice for awhile longer.

Thanks to all for your response.

:clap:

Ladskater

Record Breaker
He may be inconsistent with the jumps but when he does land them, they are things of striking beauty.

I would take Eman's big, beautiful, airy jumps (with their great balletic height, his stretched and extended limbs, his pointed feet, the run-out and flow in his landings....) any day over jumps that barely get off the ice (Lambiel, Oda, Takahashi...) or sloppy, muscled, forced jumps (Plushenko, Joubert, Verner...).

Watching Eman jump is like watching a bird in flight (natural, effortless, beautiful).

With that said, I agree he would also make a great Ice Dancer.

Another skater to watch on Youtube is Brian Orser. Brian is one of the most gifted skaters I have ever had the privilege to watch. Debbie Wilkes used to call Brian's landings "cat like." Brian would soar in the air and just hang there - his delayed axel is beautiful. Although Brian perfected the triple axel - became known as "Mr. Triple Axel", I love his delayed axel the best.

Here is one of my favorite programs Brian skated after the Olympics in 88. This is a production he did outdoors for a special. It's just beautiful to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LWKKKdRi4s

Last edited:

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
I will miss Emanuel a lot. The whole love and hate relationship between Canadian skating fans and Eman had been very entertaining. Canadian fans have one less person to gossip about. It is down from 2 (Eman and Mira) to 1 (Mira).

He was just beautiful on the ice. He had this "wow" feel to his skating. I did enjoy his tango, mambo, his last LP with Indian music, and numerous others.

His consistency with triple axels, quad toes, and salcow would have been improved if he had changed his take-off and landing on his jumps. I think it was the case of shaky technique leading to inconsistency and him losing confidence in the rest of programs.

Best of luck with your future endeavour Eman! You will be greatly missed. love you love you love you!!!!!

chania36

On the Ice
I think that since the time he has tried to do something constant, was not able, he should probably think of changing coach if he plans on going to the next olympics, maybe he could work with Kurt Browning and Brian Orser alittle bit, the could bring something new to is skating and be more constant...

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I could care less if he jumps. To me, he is one beautiful skater without the jumps.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
For me more like he used to be a beautiful skater without the jumps, until last year when he stopped training seriously and just looked slow and sloppy, even when he wasnt jumping. How anyone watched his skating last year, without blinders of some kind on, and still think he has wonderful spins, footwork, style, overall skating, flow, or any of that anymore is beyond comprehension for me. To each their own.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
I don't know, I don't judge eman based on one year of bad performance when his mind left the ice and he definitely had passed his prime. He produced superb performances mostly between 2000 and 2004. In 2006, he was a "has-been".

I understand Eman is no match for everyone's beloved Michelle Kwan. However, my point is nobody thinks Michelle Kwan is a bad skater because she was a mere shadow of what she used to be at her career height in 2006, when she withdrew from the Olympics in 2006 and hasn't been able to skate competitively since then.

Fans, in particular, fanatic fans of a skater, want to live in glory days of their favourite skaters. It is nothing more than that.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I don't know, I don't judge eman based on one year of bad performance when his mind left the ice and he definitely had passed his prime. He produced superb performances mostly between 2000 and 2004. In 2006, he was a "has-been".

I understand Eman is no match for everyone's beloved Michelle Kwan. However, my point is nobody thinks Michelle Kwan is a bad skater because she was a mere shadow of what she used to be at her career height in 2006, when she withdrew from the Olympics in 2006 and hasn't been able to skate competitively since then.

Fans, in particular, fanatic fans of a skater, want to live in glory days of their favourite skaters. It is nothing more than that.

Fair enough. I understand that point of view. Yes most of his career he was a beautiful skater on the ice, and his jumps were beautiful when he landed them but had trouble with consistency. However people talked that way about his skating last year still, and this was definitely not true last year.

Aside from all the usual jump consistency problems, his spins and footwork had degressed a huge amount, his sit spins had become embarassing, his overall skating had become sloppy and slow, and he looked heavy in everything he did. Even if he had landed all his jumps cleanly he would not have been close to a podium at a major event last year, even with others missing theirs. His overall skating has gone downwards in a big way in the last year or two, and any of those who still thought he was this beautiful stunning skater if he could just land all his jumps, were wearing blinders or something. That is all I was saying. The judges agree with me, look at how his PCS for example plunged, compared to what he used to get even "off".

Has he retired? I don't think I read anything about it. Maybe he will give it another try at Canadian Nats. If so, then he is saying, "I am not through yet". Good for him.

Joe

Kypma

Final Flight
End of last season, he said he wanted to have a break and skip the Grand Prix Series, but also said he intended to be back for Nationals in his adopted hometown of Vancouver.

Kypma

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
He wont be back. I would be shocked if he were to return. He knows full well he doesnt have much hope of making the World team this year. There really is no point to return.

Arianne

On the Ice
Ahhh...another prediction from Slutskaya fan.... Let's let Sandhu decide if he comes back or not. Afterall, he is the comeback kid. I think he can make the nationals team again. Some rest and some hard core training could do the trick.