Enlightening Interview with Rafael Arutunian | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Enlightening Interview with Rafael Arutunian

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I understand your rationale, but coaches need to know these things (even if it's just a very bare minimum knowledge "I have a very sick family member back home") because it affects training and mindset of the skater.

If the same situation happened to Jason Brown and Kori or something like that, then it makes sense for the skater to disclose to the coach. Mao and Rafi only worked together for 2 years. It makes sense that the relationship isn't strong enough for her to disclose "very sick family member back home"
Her mom didn't get very sick in 2008. It makes sense that she would stay in Japan to be closer to her mom and family during the hard time, and she didn't even know how long it will last.

I wonder why people insisted Mao must disclose her family problem with her coach of only 2 years.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I am not saying disclose the entirety of the situation, I said let him know that there may be something that preoccupies her mind with worry. "I have a family emergency/illness back in Japan" gives the coach an IDEA of what he/she is dealing with without disclosing the entire situation and can help him/her tailor the training plan to take the issue/preoccupation into account (this can also help the coach help avoid injury for the athlete who may not be devoting their entire focus due to the issue they are dealing with)

Icey

Record Breaker
Off topic, but IIRC, Mr. Pell no longer works at the White House ... I think he moved on to the Dep't. of Ed, according to the latest from Mathman (who also has posted about Pell as a potential candidate for governor of Rhode Island).

OT Update: Pell left the Department of Education in October, having only been there 6 months. I wonder if Michelle is still working in Washington. Several articles say they reside in Providence.

http://www.providencejournal.com/br...ll-leaves-post-at-u.s.-dept.-of-education.ece

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thx, Icey (and Mathman, altho' your post disappeared??). Pell is not one to sit still, I see.
And Kwan will have renewed visibility thanks to her TV hat in Sochi. Not that her name/face recognition has faded, but refreshing Rhode Islanders' memories of her Olympic aura presumably could be beneficial to her husband's budding political career.

^ Icey beat me to ot, so I removed my post. :)

I wonder if Michelle has learned to say Vo Dilan the way Vo Dinlanders do. ;)

enzet

On the Ice
Very enlightening, indeed! Thanks for posting this. :agree:

So much for all the disgusting accusations that Mao was so busy after Vancouver trying to steal Yuna's coach that she eventually caused their breakup.:rolleye:

minze

Medalist
Very enlightening, indeed! Thanks for posting this. :agree:

So much for all the disgusting accusations that Mao was so busy after Vancouver trying to steal Yuna's coach that she eventually caused their breakup.:rolleye:

As if, Mao had other things to worry about like the health of her mom.