Evan's Going for the Quad, and Johnny's Shutting His Mouth | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Evan's Going for the Quad, and Johnny's Shutting His Mouth

antmanb

Record Breaker
Serena said:
You should know by now that there are no guarantees- after all, if Sarah Hughes had thought the way you do, "Oh, well, I won't win, so I'll just give a half-@$$ed performance- screw the triple-triple. I'm not going to win, so it doesn't matter", she wouldn't have won the Olympics.

I think anyone who wishes ill on skaters or hopes that they bomb is clearly an a**hole not worth debating with.

Ant

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Tonichelle said:
um... yeah so Evan and Johnny aren't threats but Jeff Buttle is???????? Did I miss a memo, what makes him THAT much more of a threat????

When is the last time either Johnny or Evan has beaten Buttle? He regularly beats both, thus is more of a threat. If the judging is fair Buttle will easily trump Lysacek's scores in spins, footwork, and PCS. Weir is even more inconsistent than Buttle this year.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Kwanford Wife said:
I'm feelin' you and understand where you're coming from and I probably did make a mistake regarding your dream of a Russian sweep; I'm not perfect and will conceed that...

My post was in response to the tone of your post... While you are always up front and totally entertaining to read, that post about Johnny & Evan bombing was a bit out there... something that one wouldn't expect from you, espcially if it didn't concern Irina... almost like someone was posting under your screen name... Just appeared that you were a bit cranky and needed coffee.

As for Plushys fans (which I am...) I would encourage them not to get too hyped on pre-Olympics buzz and continue to wish him luck because there are no guarntees other than Joubert will be the most beautiful man competing.

Ok I am sorry if I offended you. My point is I find his program plans for an Olympics, far overambitious for somebody who has tried 1 quad in competition in his life so far, and I I wouldnt be surprised at a mini-disaester. I also found his coaches comments to show a slanted view of reality of where he really stands going into the event, and it might have influenced the overambitious program plans. Just my opinion.

slutskayafan21 said:
Ok I am sorry if I offended you. My point is I find his program plans for an Olympics, far overambitious for somebody who has tried 1 quad in competition in his life so far, and I I wouldnt be surprised at a mini-disaester. I also found his coaches comments to show a slanted view of reality of where he really stands going into the event, and it might have influenced the overambitious program plans. Just my opinion.
OK you've found a fault with his plan of action to get on the podium. A good adminisrator once he finds a problem will then suggest a way to correct the problem. Can you suggest what he can do about risking a quad?

Possible scenarios:

He can leave out the quad and place 6th or 7th

He can attempt the quad and place 5th or 6th

He can leave Torino and do nothing.

There are a lot of ifs in the above choices given the Men's field for this Olymmpics. In my opinion, he should go with the quad. The Olympics are every 4 years and given his rank in the World, he has nothing to lose.

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
U.S. figure skater Johnny Weir believes it's Russian Evengy Plushenko's gold medal to lose, but fellow American Evan Lysacek views the field much differently. "If it was Plushenko's to lose I would say it's not a sport," Lysacek said Wednesday after an afternoon practice. "We all are here to go for the gold and no one came to the Olympic Games to go for the silver."

Another quote that demonstrates what IMO is Lysacek's slanted view on reality.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Joesitz said:
OK you've found a fault with his plan of action to get on the podium. A good adminisrator once he finds a problem will then suggest a way to correct the problem. Can you suggest what he can do about risking a quad?

Possible scenarios:

He can leave out the quad and place 6th or 7th

He can attempt the quad and place 5th or 6th

He can leave Torino and do nothing.

There are a lot of ifs in the above choices given the Men's field for this Olymmpics. In my opinion, he should go with the quad. The Olympics are every 4 years and given his rank in the World, he has nothing to lose.

Joe

That wouldnt be a bad philosophy. I just find the philosophy that the article suggested to me, that he thinks the quad is the meal ticket to the gold, and if he stumbles on it "you just stumble lower on the podium" sort of thing, shows a skewed view of reality on his part.

slutskayafan21 said:
That wouldnt be a bad philosophy. I just find the philosophy that the article suggested to me, that he thinks the quad is the meal ticket to the gold, and if he stumbles on it "you just stumble lower on the podium" sort of thing, shows a skewed view of reality on his part.
I don't agree. I think Evan just wants to be one of the boys (with quads).

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
“I think if I do my best and I have a quad in the program, I have just as good a shot for gold as anyone else,” he said.

Another quote from motormouth. Congratulations on your 7th place finish in Turin Evan.

S

SkateFan4Life

slutskayafan21 said:
I look forward to seeing both bomb out, and even if they dont they still wont medal. They arent nearly as good as they think they are, especialy Evan.
:rofl:

Nasty, nasty! :sheesh: :mad:

Personally, I hope that NONE of the skates bomb out. I want to see a competition in which every skater performs at the top of his/her/their ability.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
SkateFan4Life said:
Nasty, nasty! :sheesh: :mad:

Personally, I hope that NONE of the skates bomb out. I want to see a competition in which every skater performs at the top of his/her/their ability.

Unlike what the cocky American men believe that scenario would definitely equal ZERO medals for the U.S men quad or no quad.

CDMM1991

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
Another quote from motormouth. Congratulations on your 7th place finish in Turin Evan.

What makes you so sure that [with a quad he didn't have when he won it] a world bronze medalist has no chance to come higher than sixth or seventh at the Olympics?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
CDMM1991 said:
What makes you so sure that [with a quad he didn't have when he won it] a world bronze medalist has no chance to come higher than sixth or seventh at the Olympics?

Because unlike Worlds last year Plushenko will be in the event, and Joubert will probably do something half-decent this time unlike that Worlds where Evan won the bronze, and Takahashi is actually a contender now, and Weir does not have a foot injury like last years Worlds. Maybe because Lambiel, Plushenko, Joubert, Buttle, Takahashi, Weir, are all better skaters than he is.

CDMM1991

Medalist
Yes, but someone else could have unexpected bad skates like Joubert last year, or have a sudden foot injury in practice at the games. It's all about doing what you need to do at the right moment; and that's what Evan did last year. There's no reason he might not do the same this year.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Yes Evan the gold was never Plushenko's to lose, I suppose you were the one who was going to stop it. Oh where was that quad you were talking up all week? :rofl:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
Unlike what the cocky American men believe that scenario would definitely equal ZERO medals for the U.S men quad or no quad.

Geez! Can we get you a saucer of milk with that?
C'mon, don't hold back...tell us what you REALLY think.
:rolleye:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:

C'mon Slutskayafan21... You are soooo much better than this statement!! Are you a former girlfriend of Evan's? Oh my goodness!!! Is this Jenny?!? ;) :p

FreeKatie

On the Ice
CzarinaAnya said:
I'm glad the media didn't count out Matt. Talking about the SP.

I keep forgetting about poor Matt, aside from the spill, I think I enjoyed his SP the most, followed by Lambiel and Weir. (sorry plush!! like he cares...:biggrin: )

rob43

On the Ice
I think Carroll knows reality all to well by now- his famous skaters aside from Kwan were all jumpers (and if truth be told she jumped her way to 3 of those world titles and half the national ones).

If Lysachek wanted on the podium he needed a quad. Buttle and Weir could try and crack the top grouping without one but Evan couldn't. Unfortunately dickering with his program at this late date led to mistakes in the short instead of upgrades.

Look at Carroll's pupil from the '02 Olympics and you'll see that he knows what certain skaters need to do for a breakthrough. I don't think he is heaven sent but Frank Carroll has coached two people to performances that could have won Olympics (80 and 98) and two people who could have been all time greats (Chin and Bowman) if not for off ice problems. And if you rememeber Goebel prior to Carroll you should at least be thankful for that improvement.

As for Weir- he looks as good as anyone who's not plushenko right now. While I think Joubert could be great I can't abide that particularly SP and Lambiel is apparently on thin ice right now. So Weir might just get a medal without a quad.

The title of this thread is kind of amusing, if you think about it. Evan is not going to land a quad and Johnny is not going to keep his mouth shut.

MM :)