Fantasy on Ice (FaOI) 2016 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Fantasy on Ice (FaOI) 2016

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Back from Nagano.
Starting Order of Fantasy on Ice Nagano 2016 was like this (mostly the same as Kobe):

Wow!:luv17: For the past years, i went to some of FaOI, but this year i couldnt.
Would you tell me your view of the show if you have time?
How about FaOI Nagano? what is the most impressive performance? Or other orhter memorable things.

sweetwater

On the Ice
Wow!:luv17: For the past years, i went to some of FaOI, but this year i couldnt.
Would you tell me your view of the show if you have time?
How about FaOI Nagano? what is the most impressive performance? Or other orhter memorable things.

Hi, hamaguri, thank you for asking!:luv17:
I enjoyed FaOI Nagano very much. There were many skaters I love, and I also liked the choice of musicians for the second half of this tour.

The most impressive performances for me were collaboration pieces with Kotaro Fukuma. Especially "La Valse" by Stephane Lambiel and Fukuma was intense! It was like watching a short tragicomedy. First there were several pin spots moving slowly on the ice, which reminded me of people come and go at a party. Then Stephane entered there like showing up to the party. The spot lights gathered to him and he started dancing with his shadows. As the piano changed its tone, he gained speed and became more and more off balance, his shadows got blurred… then bang! Suddenly he and the pianist collapsed. It was like a portrait drawn by skate and piano, of someone young, brilliant and beautiful losing himself.

"Moonlight Sonata" by Johnny Weir was also impressive. A beautiful thing about watching figure skating with live piano is that you can hear the sound of blades very clearly. From the sound I could tell how delicately Johnny was skating to the music and how spontaneously the pianist was reacting to Johnny’s performance. I felt the same about Nobunari’s "Liebestraume" in Makuhari. I think having Fukuma-san made this year’s FaOI very rich. I also loved the way he noticed every detail of skater’s performance. When Johnny landed 3A in the last show Fukuma-san jumped up with joy right after he finished playing, raising both of his fists over his head. He is such a figure skating fan. Wish I could also see Yuzu’s “Ballad No.1” and Satoko’s “Un sospiro” with his piano… Hope he will come back to future FaOI.

Programs with Yoshida Brothers were very exciting too. Shamisen sounds very Japanese, but I found it matches well with many figure skating moves. The group number on “Rising” was really cool watched in person. The theme of this program was probably “thunder,” because I saw something like patternized clouds and the symbol between AC and DC on the ice, and “rising” sounds like “Raijin”(雷神 means god of thunder in Japanese.) Skaters in glaring gold costume moving fast in the dim light were like things in the rain illuminated by lightning. In Japan it’s rainy season, (I actually got caught in the rain in Nagano after the show...) so I think this program was nice reminder of a beauty of this season.

Many of the skaters showed their versatility in their two performances and it was very fun to watch. Seeing some skaters co-starred with their choreographer was also fun. In FaOI Nagano, you could see Satoko’s new program by Stephane, Nobunari’s new program by Jeff, Stephane’s new programs by Stephane, and Jeff’s new program by Jeff. Watching these programs in a short time, you could easily see how the characteristic movements of the choreographer were blended with other skater’s characteristics, and all of these programs were so attractive that I will want to watch again and again. I felt so lucky to witness these talented people together in a show.

There were many good performances, so I can still go on, but this post is already too long so I would like to finish here.
Hope I’ll be able to hear your thoughts after watching the footage of the show.;)(if you have time, of course!)
And finally, thank you for reading my long and rambling post!:bow:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Hi, hamaguri, thank you for asking!:luv17:
I enjoyed FaOI Nagano very much. There were many skaters I love, and I also liked the choice of musicians for the second half of this tour.

The most impressive performances for me were collaboration pieces with Kotaro Fukuma. Especially "La Valse" by Stephane Lambiel and Fukuma was intense! It was like watching a short tragicomedy. First there were several pin spots moving slowly on the ice, which reminded me of people come and go at a party. Then Stephane entered there like showing up to the party. The spot lights gathered to him and he started dancing with his shadows. As the piano changed its tone, he gained speed and became more and more off balance, his shadows got blurred… then bang! Suddenly he and the pianist collapsed. It was like a portrait drawn by skate and piano, of someone young, brilliant and beautiful losing himself.

"Moonlight Sonata" by Johnny Weir was also impressive. A beautiful thing about watching figure skating with live piano is that you can hear the sound of blades very clearly. From the sound I could tell how delicately Johnny was skating to the music and how spontaneously the pianist was reacting to Johnny’s performance. I felt the same about Nobunari’s "Liebestraume" in Makuhari. I think having Fukuma-san made this year’s FaOI very rich. I also loved the way he noticed every detail of skater’s performance. When Johnny landed 3A in the last show Fukuma-san jumped up with joy right after he finished playing, raising both of his fists over his head. He is such a figure skating fan. Wish I could also see Yuzu’s “Ballad No.1” and Satoko’s “Un sospiro” with his piano… Hope he will come back to future FaOI.

Programs with Yoshida Brothers were very exciting too. Shamisen sounds very Japanese, but I found it matches well with many figure skating moves. The group number on “Rising” was really cool watched in person. The theme of this program was probably “thunder,” because I saw something like patternized clouds and the symbol between AC and DC on the ice, and “rising” sounds like “Raijin”(雷神 means god of thunder in Japanese.) Skaters in glaring gold costume moving fast in the dim light were like things in the rain illuminated by lightning. In Japan it’s rainy season, (I actually got caught in the rain in Nagano after the show...) so I think this program was nice reminder of a beauty of this season.

Many of the skaters showed their versatility in their two performances and it was very fun to watch. Seeing some skaters co-starred with their choreographer was also fun. In FaOI Nagano, you could see Satoko’s new program by Stephane, Nobunari’s new program by Jeff, Stephane’s new programs by Stephane, and Jeff’s new program by Jeff. Watching these programs in a short time, you could easily see how the characteristic movements of the choreographer were blended with other skater’s characteristics, and all of these programs were so attractive that I will want to watch again and again. I felt so lucky to witness these talented people together in a show.

There were many good performances, so I can still go on, but this post is already too long so I would like to finish here.
Hope I’ll be able to hear your thoughts after watching the footage of the show.;)(if you have time, of course!)
And finally, thank you for reading my long and rambling post!:bow:

Thanks sweetwater! No thank you!

I really see how Fukuma-san was wonderful! Yes, last year I was impressed with his performance so much and went to his concert at Tokyo. He’s truly a terrific pianist. He has great techniques and artistry. Further he keeps challenging with arrangements from other genre to piano piece. He played “firebird” for Tatsuki, and it was awesome! At the same time, he was so humble and down to earth. I came to love soon to see his way of speaking.
Ive read how hard it was for him to achieve great performance in that hard environment. For example, cold air makes piano tune mad. He really took care of skater’s breath and movement. He’s a true professional and I also hope he will keep coming to FaOI. A skating magazine “ICE PRINCE” currently available has his interview and you can see how much he is “sukeota”(lol). If you have a chance to go to bookshops, please read it.
Akiko, Johnny, Nobu, stephane,,, all of collaboration programs are satisfactory, except that we couldn’t see “Un sospiro” with Satoko!

Personally I call Stephane Nureyev, and he is always stunning. Fukuma-san wrote that how difficult it is playing "La Valse" and he and stephane had took their time for the preparation since Makuhari. When I see "La Valse" on TV, I was so moved and really wanted to watch it live. The combination of live music, lightning… I really see how dramatic it was from your report!

I feel something special from Johnny. His tenderness and kind heart as a human truly come to my heart every time I see him. Still I can describe his “Raise me up” with Sarah last year as if it was yesterday.

Shamisen sound really matched figure skating with not just Japanese skaters but foreign skaters. The sound itself is traditional, but at the same time it’s very modern and has a harmony as we can see in Barcelona. The idea of raijin is very interesting and it was truly nice. The coreo was by Jeff, or David? Anyway, it was as if the skating god came to the venue!

I like to see Jeff’s performance live. To see him, I know how many ideas of movements he has! No wonder now he is a top choreographer. Further, as a dancer, he’s awesome. I thought he felt and expressed every note of piece! He’s a very exciting skater.

Further, another thing that made my heart warm was the interaction between skaters and fans. Ilia and Philippe truly showed their gratitude for Nagano, where they became Olympic medalists. Their attitudes like that really gave Nagano and Japanese fans a joy and such interactions across the borders made me happy. Figure skating is a truly wonderful sport!

I have a lot of thing to write, but have no time! Finally, I want to say I love Chesnas! I was so impressed with them in the past shows. Dynamic, beautiful, harmonize with music…

Thank you for all skaters and audience!

sweetwater

On the Ice
Hi, hamaguri, thank you for sharing your thoughts! It was really fun to read and made me want to watch some of the programs from FaOI again.

So you went to FaOI Kanagawa or Kobe last year? I envy you! Actually, seeing FaOI 2015 in Kobe on TV was the main reason I decided to go to Nagano this year no matter what. In these few years, FaOI invited classical musicians to the second half of the show tour, and many of the collaboration pieces with them were impressive. There are many programs I wish I could see in person in last year’s show…

And thank you for the info re Fukuma-san! Hope I will be able to hear the piano version of “Firebird” someday. I’ll look for “ICE PRINCE” when I go to a bigger bookstore.

Shamisen sound really matched figure skating with not just Japanese skaters but foreign skaters. The sound itself is traditional, but at the same time it’s very modern and has a harmony as we can see in Barcelona. The idea of raijin is very interesting and it was truly nice. The coreo was by Jeff, or David? Anyway, it was as if the skating god came to the venue!
“Rising” was choreographed by David and Orser. Jeff choreographed the opening number where skaters skate in raincoat.

Re Illa and Phillip, I’m always amazed by the speed and energy of Ilia. Not only Ilia, but all the Russian legendary skaters like Yagudin and Plushenko look so fast and full of energy seen in person. I think those who don’t know their legends can enjoy their performances. And Philippe is still stealing hearts every time he comes to Japan. This year he could not skate the way he wanted because of the back pain. I truly wish his fast recovery and coming back to Japan in future, without pain.

Last edited: