Fast onset (lateral) foot pain | Golden Skate

Fast onset (lateral) foot pain

gleungc6

On the Ice
Hello all! I train at a low level two-four times a week in Belati Iris skates (landing single lutzes, subpar edgework). Although I’ve had these skates for a long time, about 20 minutes into a lesson, my feet are on fire. The lateral foot pain is excruciating (tingling, burning sensation), and my arches also hurt. I have to perch on the board regularly to get through a lesson. It is particularly bad on my left foot because I have a history of lateral metatarsal pain there. It gets much much worse as soon as I take my skates off. Do y’all have any tips on how to prevent/manage this pain, and know if this is common (am I doing something wrong)?

The last time I skated for 2 hours, it took me 15 minutes of icing it before I could walk again, and an hour before I stopped limping. I have not attempted to skate for longer than 1 hour since. For reference, I dance at a high level and I do not get this pain when I dance en pointe or in heels. I have flat, strong, average to wide feet, and I do ankle and foot strengthening exercises. I wear custom orthotics in my skates, roll out my muscles, go to physio, get weekly massages focussing on my lower body complex, and have had X Rays examined by an orthopaedic surgeon. There wasn’t a stress fracture thankfully, but he was not very helpful and just advised stopping dance and skating as it was causing me pain.

As I am 22 I don’t want to give up just yet, and want to see if there are more options, and would appreciate any advice. I will be going to a different surgeon next week for unrelated reasons so if there is anything I should be asking a doc, I can!

Thanks for reading ☺️

MiraiFan

Final Flight
No tips on feet but two hours is a really long time to practice. I never do longer than one hour. Do you have insoles for arch support? At first glance you probably need to be fitted for better skates by a fitter that knows what they are doing...

gleungc6

On the Ice
Yes, I have custom orthotics from an orthopedic doctor! I don't do 2 hour sessions often, only when it's public skate and I'm doing mostly stroking or edgework. If I'm working on jumps or spins, I tend to keep it to an hour. Thanks for your tip!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Please go and see a good fitter and change your current set up for something that doesn't cause you pain. By persevering with these boots, you are likely to do yourself some longterm damage.