Arch Pain | Golden Skate

Arch Pain

alexac10

Rinkside
I skate a few times a week, about 6 hours total, and I suffer from extreme arch pain each time. I really don't feel the pain until I start doing jumps and spins, then it's unbearable, to the point where I have to leave the ice. I bought inserts, but no relief. I thought my issue might be tying my skates too tight, so I loosened it a little where my arches are, but then I felt I didn't have enough stability to go into jumps or spins. I'm completely lost at where I go from here. I did have my skates (Jackson Freestyles) professionally fitted for me, so they should fit my feet just fine (which I believe they do, for the most part.) I don't know if I want to consider getting expensive custom inserts as I don't anticipate staying in the skates I am in now for too much longer, probably less than a year. Any tricks or personal solutions you may have are appreciated. I'm really upset that this is hindering my ability to practice.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I skate a few times a week, about 6 hours total, and I suffer from extreme arch pain each time. I really don't feel the pain until I start doing jumps and spins, then it's unbearable, to the point where I have to leave the ice. I bought inserts, but no relief. I thought my issue might be tying my skates too tight, so I loosened it a little where my arches are, but then I felt I didn't have enough stability to go into jumps or spins. I'm completely lost at where I go from here. I did have my skates (Jackson Freestyles) professionally fitted for me, so they should fit my feet just fine (which I believe they do, for the most part.) I don't know if I want to consider getting expensive custom inserts as I don't anticipate staying in the skates I am in now for too much longer, probably less than a year. Any tricks or personal solutions you may have are appreciated. I'm really upset that this is hindering my ability to practice.
Hi and welcome. You may just need to see an orthopedist or podiatrist and they can tell you if you will need orthotics. I will say though, if you do have high or very high arches that you may want to look into Risport as your next boot brand. Then again, depending on your stats (height/weight/age) etc you may be in the wrong boots especially if you're jumping. Some of the starter sets should not be jumped in once you are of a certain weight and age.

alexac10

Rinkside
Hi and welcome. You may just need to see an orthopedist or podiatrist and they can tell you if you will need orthotics. I will say though, if you do have high or very high arches that you may want to look into Risport as your next boot brand. Then again, depending on your stats (height/weight/age) etc you may be in the wrong boots especially if you're jumping. Some of the starter sets should not be jumped in once you are of a certain weight and age.
Thanks for your reply. I’m 20 year old female, 5’1, 125 lbs. I have little to no arch, so I need lots of arch support when running or doing lots of activity in general. I’m working through all my single jumps so it’s possible I’ve just outgrown the boot. My fitter really didn’t experiment with other brands, just took my skating level and seemed to put me in freestyles right away. This was only a few months ago so I’m not really at the point of replacing them yet, I hope.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for your reply. I’m 20 year old female, 5’1, 125 lbs. I have little to no arch, so I need lots of arch support when running or doing lots of activity in general. I’m working through all my single jumps so it’s possible I’ve just outgrown the boot. My fitter really didn’t experiment with other brands, just took my skating level and seemed to put me in freestyles right away. This was only a few months ago so I’m not really at the point of replacing them yet, I hope.
With the stats you told me: Definitely see a podiatrist, you'll more than likely need orthotics for your skate boots.
And if you let us know where you are you need a real pro fitter and we can suggest, because it's obvious the person that put you in those were clueless.
With little to no arch, I'd have you in Graf or possibly Riedell. Edea may work too if you don't mind the way they fit differently in the ankles.

alexac10

Rinkside
With the stats you told me: Definitely see a podiatrist, you'll more than likely need orthotics for your skate boots.
And if you let us know where you are you need a real pro fitter and we can suggest, because it's obvious the person that put you in those were clueless.
With little to no arch, I'd have you in Graf or possibly Riedell. Edea may work too if you don't mind the way they fit differently in the ankles.
I am in SE Wisconsin, Milwaukee area. If you could give me a recommendation I would appreciate it!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I am in SE Wisconsin, Milwaukee area. If you could give me a recommendation I would appreciate it!
There's Pure Gold Ice Werks in Sheboygan, but I can't say much about their work b/c I don't know.
There's Pete's in Rockford, IL over the border from you.
There's also Jerry's in the Chicago area.
I'd usually suggest Rainbo in the Chicago area but I haven't heard great things about their fittings lately. :shrug:

alexac10

Rinkside
There's Pure Gold Ice Werks in Sheboygan, but I can't say much about their work b/c I don't know.
There's Pete's in Rockford, IL over the border from you.
There's also Jerry's in the Chicago area.
I'd usually suggest Rainbo in the Chicago area but I haven't heard great things about their fittings lately. :shrug:
Oh no! If you don’t mind me asking, what bad things have you heard about Rainbo? I was thinking about going there when the time comes but maybe I shouldn’t. Thanks!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Oh no! If you don’t mind me asking, what bad things have you heard about Rainbo? I was thinking about going there when the time comes but maybe I shouldn’t. Thanks!
Skaters have been being improperly fitted (sold skates that were too small), etc.
The other option and personally the one I would say go for if you were traveling near Chicago for a fitting would be Geppetto's in Downers Grove, IL. Mr Edge is there and he's one of the best!

Good luck!

alexac10

Rinkside
Skaters have been being improperly fitted (sold skates that were too small), etc.
The other option and personally the one I would say go for if you were traveling near Chicago for a fitting would be Geppetto's in Downers Grove, IL. Mr Edge is there and he's one of the best!

Good luck!
Thank you for your time and advice! I will look into them.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I started having bad arch pain (like a horrible muscle cramp in the arch area of the foot) when I had a stress fracture on the little bone under my big toe. After 6 months of going to rehabilitation/physical therapy for 3 times a week, 1 hour 40 minutes each time, having the doctor put me in electricity machine, ultrasound machine, foot massage, and many, many, MANY different exercises and stretchings, not only the stress fracture is gone and healed, but the arch pain is gone too. I didn't stop skating during this whole time, I just reduced the amounts of days & hours of practice, stopped jumping and didn't enter any competition/exhibition that would make me want to do intense practicing. I couldn't stay way from skating, I kept skating but my coaches were aware of the issue so we changed what I did during my private and group club sessions. My skates changed too, I am now 1/2 size smaller, stayed with the same brand (Edea), but changed models (went from Concerto to Ice Fly). I've started practicing jumps off ice again, but having a different approach than before my injury, I'm still working with the physical therapist and have a personal trainer at the sports hospital's medical fitness center.

All this long story to say that before your pain turns into an injury or gets worse as it happened to me, it would be maybe a good idea to go to a sports hospital and consult with a sports orthopaedist. They will ask for MRI, cat scan, do many tests and observe how you move, walk, test strenght of the foot etc etc. It maybe take time, lots of patience from you, but for me, not only I feel stronger over all with all the therapies, machines, training etc, but mission accomplished, the stress fracture is healed and the arch pain is all gone.
I wish you good luck!