Fedor Andreev and Jana Khokhlova | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Fedor Andreev and Jana Khokhlova

The first time I ever saw Andreev was probably when most of you saw him, as a twelve-or-so-year-old skating at Grinkov's memorial program. So when I heard he had stayed in skating, I rooted for him automatically. I also transferred some of my admiration for his mother's career into a willingness to admire him. Through the years I got discouraged, thinking many of the things Nadine mentioned above. (Including that he was drop-dead gorgeous--sometimes that in itself can tempt me into thinking that a guy might be a bit superficial or lacking in motivation.) I'm sure he's very nice, but he doesn't give the impression of having great drive for such a grueling pursuit as skating.

Now he's on what might be his final opportunity to excel, with a skater any partner would envy. Not only does he have Jana, but he comes along at a moment when Russia is in a bit of a trough in terms of skating achievement, so he could really move up and make his mark. I do hope he understands what a last chance looks like and acts accordingly.

You know, for all the controversy about whether Evan Lysacek should have won the OGM because he lacks a quad, no one on the face of the earth has yet disputed how hard he worked to get where he got. Coincidentally, Evan has modeled professionally, too...I guess you can't judge by appearances, after all. Hope Fedor borrows a leaf from Evan's book!

Last edited: