Figure and Fancy Skating | Golden Skate

Figure and Fancy Skating

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
That was news to me, too!

There's more about it in this thread about Debi Thomas, who's currently training for the 2023 World Figure & Fancy Skating Championships. There are short videos of Debi's training, but be sure also to look for the posts from @BlissfulSynergy that have links to past WF&FS competition performances. Thanks, Blissful! :thank:

More on the World Figure Sport website:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
2 videos from past WFS...
I enjoyed this one because of the skater's lovely Ina Bauer variation and her long extended spiral:

...and this, where Shepherd Clark traces a Maltese Cross on the ice. I remember him from US Nats...way back in the day.

Weathergal

Medalist
2 videos from past WFS...
I enjoyed this one because of the skater's lovely Ina Bauer variation and her long extended spiral:

...and this, where Shepherd Clark traces a Maltese Cross on the ice. I remember him from US Nats...way back in the day.
Thank you for sharing those links! I really enjoyed both of them - Courtney for her elegance, skating skills, and joy and Shepherd for his technical ability. I remember him from US Nats, too!

You've piqued my curiosity, as has Debi Thomas getting involved. I'll have to check out some more videos!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thank you for sharing those links! I really enjoyed both of them - Courtney for her elegance, skating skills, and joy and Shepherd for his technical ability. I remember him from US Nats, too!

You've piqued my curiosity, as has Debi Thomas getting involved. I'll have to check out some more videos!
My pleasure…There’s lots more on YT, so have fun!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yep, lots of YouTube videos are available. I posted two in the Debi Thomas comeback thread. 👍😍
Take a look at the junior performance of a young figures skater from Tanzania, Taika Mzese, and the performance by the kilted, bearded Scottish figures skater (both linked in the Debi thread).

Also, Sarah Jo Damron-Brown (see below), who has won numerous competitions. In the below clip, the notes indicate that Damron-Brown competed all 16 compositions. I'm not sure what that means exactly. I'm kinda surprised that the WFFS organization is not promoted more, with timely interviews and articles!

Another performance by Damron-Brown:

There's a comment on the second video by someone who is new to seeing figures performance. They said, "It's basically skating without the jumps, concentrating on artistry." Actually, I think this description doesn't take into account that figures is really about the basics of skating, which has nothing at all to do with jumps in the first place. Tracing figures on the ice is how the sport developed, well before music and artistry came into the picture -- all of which preceded experimentation with jumps and hops!

The Courtney Wetterich video was already linked above. She's elegant and balletic, and she did one single revolution jump amidst spirals, twists and turns, with lovely bladework, similar to Sarah Jo Damron-Brown.

Shepherd Clark is the current reigning champion in figures, winning in 2018, 2022, and 2023. He has competed often! I'm not sure of all the different competition categories or how often Shepherd has won. Adding to the Maltese cross video already posted with Shepherd, below is his performance video from 2018, in which he features a single revolution jump -- but clearly, it's the bladework and elegant moves over the ice that take precedence. 😃

For those unfamiliar with Shepherd, he is a former U.S. men's competitor from the 1990s era. Below is Shepherd's fp at 1994 U.S. Nats. 👍

Shepherd was the 1989 U.S. men's junior champ, but he had a hard time breaking through to the senior podium. Still, I always enjoyed watching Shepherd, and I rooted for him. It's nice to see him competing in figures all these years later and winning so often! 🎖️