Figure skating camps for adults | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Figure skating camps for adults

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
If you're willing to come to the US, at the end of August there's an adult skating week in Sun Valley. ;)

19th Annual Adult Skaters Week | August 20-26, 2023​

Featuring National, International, World and Olympic presenters in Dance, Freestyle & Choreography.

Our $800 all-inclusive package includes:

• Opening Social
  • 40 On-Ice clinics
  • 5 Off-Ice classes
  • 2 Twilight Sessions
  • Performance Exhibition on the beautiful outdoor rink under our dazzling lights
  • 55 Freestyle/Dance sessions
  • 19 General Sessions
* Fee includes over 30 clinics and 20 ice sessions. Offerings subject to change.

Past presenters include Lisa Marie Allen, Judy Blumberg, Ryan Bradley, Erin Reed, Kim Navarro, Brent Bommentre, Ashley Clark, Craig Heath, Jonathon Hunt, Stephanee Grosscup, Michele Monnier, Natalia Zaitseva, Anita Hartshorn, and Frank Sweiding.
Very, very tempting and mind opening. I think I still have my old ballet mentality active, I had amazing Russian teachers/directors so Russia was my main place for training/practice/ and I'd go for masterclasses in several European locations, so I seek the same in figure skating. There are great coaches here in Japan (my 2 coaches included) but I've seen the skating facilities in the USA on video, the rinks look amazing, have harnesses etc. Our facilities here are not even close to being that good, I know Japanese skaters who went to train in the USA and were amazed by the facilities and the lack of bruises (here we practice the jumps in the rink, next to the ice, then pad our butts as best we can and go try them on ice, harnesses. are so rare, never seen one here myself. They have rotation and jump training equipment in some studios, but for small kids, charge a small fortune for a session)
I'll definitely research the logistics, how much a 7 + stay (hotel, food, flights plus the camp's fee) would cost me. Even though I work remotely for a USA based company, I haven't gone over there for 10 + years and very out of touch with traveling prices.
Thank you very much for the very tempting suggestion @Ic3Rabbit 🙂

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
OP, if you’re open to going to the US rather than Europe, the Road to Gold camp in Colorado is great. Specifically for adults. They’ve changed the format this year and you can pick your own ‘classes’ that you want to do, so basically build your own custom programme. Last year we were split into groups and you just did al the classes with your group, but this year sounds better, so you can focus on what you want to. Coaches were great and the rink in Vail is lovely (although the town is soooo expensive!)
Thank you! Is this the same camp that @Ic3Rabbit suggested in the post below yours or is it another one?

Elija

On the Ice
Thank you! Is this the same camp that @Ic3Rabbit suggested in the post below yours or is it another one?
No, a different one. This one is with Gracie Gold and a bunch of coaches from the Olympic training center in Colorado Springs (Eddie shipstad was there last year and he was awesome, plus a couple of ice dance coaches). It’s called road to gold if you want to look up the details for this year - it is in July though so might be a bit short notice.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
No, a different one. This one is with Gracie Gold and a bunch of coaches from the Olympic training center in Colorado Springs (Eddie shipstad was there last year and he was awesome, plus a couple of ice dance coaches). It’s called road to gold if you want to look up the details for this year - it is in July though so might be a bit short notice.
Thank you so much. I'll look it up! If I don't manage to go to any of the USA camps this year, I'll definitely save the information for next year :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Very, very tempting and mind opening. I think I still have my old ballet mentality active, I had amazing Russian teachers/directors so Russia was my main place for training/practice/ and I'd go for masterclasses in several European locations, so I seek the same in figure skating. There are great coaches here in Japan (my 2 coaches included) but I've seen the skating facilities in the USA on video, the rinks look amazing, have harnesses etc. Our facilities here are not even close to being that good, I know Japanese skaters who went to train in the USA and were amazed by the facilities and the lack of bruises (here we practice the jumps in the rink, next to the ice, then pad our butts as best we can and go try them on ice, harnesses. are so rare, never seen one here myself. They have rotation and jump training equipment in some studios, but for small kids, charge a small fortune for a session)
I'll definitely research the logistics, how much a 7 + stay (hotel, food, flights plus the camp's fee) would cost me. Even though I work remotely for a USA based company, I haven't gone over there for 10 + years and very out of touch with traveling prices.
Thank you very much for the very tempting suggestion @Ic3Rabbit 🙂
Yes and here in SV you get to skate outside. ;) There is an indoor rink but nothing tops the outdoor rink.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I never skated outdoors til I moved to Germany, and now that’s where I skate Nov-March and as nice as it is to be inside too (no rain or wind!) I miss the outdoor rink!
I wouldn't want to skate outdoors when it's sunny since I don't like the sun, it hurts my eyes and not a fan of heat at all, but on cloudy days, especially if the rink is surrounded by beautiful views, amazing and freeing :) It's one of the reasons skiing is so fun, the gorgeous views that surround the mountains :)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I wouldn't want to skate outdoors when it's sunny since I don't like the sun, it hurts my eyes and not a fan of heat at all, but on cloudy days, especially if the rink is surrounded by beautiful views, amazing and freeing :) It's one of the reasons skiing is so fun, the gorgeous views that surround the mountains :)
There is a shade that they pull over the top of the rink outdoors in SV when it's sunny. ;)

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I'm very sold on the Idaho Sunny Valley Camp. It looks awesome, I like how you recommended it, love outdoors beautiful views and if it's skating even better, and think I can very much benefit from attending. Realistically speaking I highly doubt it I can make it this year but it's a plan for next year and I very, very much hope they do have this same camp in 2024.

Thank you very much for taking the time to make the recommendation @Ic3Rabbit <3

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm very sold on the Idaho Sunny Valley Camp. It looks awesome, I like how you recommended it, love outdoors beautiful views and if it's skating even better, and think I can very much benefit from attending. Realistically speaking I highly doubt it I can make it this year but it's a plan for next year and I very, very much hope they do have this same camp in 2024.

Thank you very much for taking the time to make the recommendation @Ic3Rabbit <3
Have it every year! ;) I hope you get to participate sometime!

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Ours isn’t covered, but when it’s -12C before the wind chill, I don’t mine the sun at all. 😎🥶

gkelly

Record Breaker
The one time I skated at an outdoor rink, I quickly learned not to attempt laybacks on a sunny day around noon.

(When I skated on ponds as a child was before I could figure skate, and when I skated on a canal as an adult I didn't trust the ice quality to try much.)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I trained on outdoor rinks in the winter as a teenager. Tracing figures in the snow was a fairly futile occupation but on a nice day, it was joyous. Hated coming home.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Except the outdoor rink I'm talking about is like being on indoor ice, but outside. It's that good. ;)
I’m totally sold. And I can’t wait to skate there. I wish I could go this year. But planning for 2024 will give me more time , hopefully I’ll be much better at skating (I’m my worst critic and even I have to admit I improved tremendously from 2022 to 2023 😂) and benefit even more from a week long intense schedule camp.

I came here wanting a recommendation for an eastern (or central) European camp, now I have totally different plans.

You’re talented at sales, @Ic3Rabbit 😂

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Oh man, I’ve wanted to get to skate at Sun Valley ever since I saw pictures for the first time. It’s beautiful!!

There are a few outdoor rinks that pop up in various places in Boston throughout the winter (most famously the Frog Pond on Boston Common). Let’s just say the ice quality varies *considerably* (I landed a waltz jump at one of them and the ice was so thin that it cracked all the way down to the concrete!!).