Figure skating threads on Golden Skate over the years | Golden Skate

Figure skating threads on Golden Skate over the years

AxelLover

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Recently, I clicked on "2002-03 Figure Skating archives" and was quite surprised by some of the topics that were discussed on GS back then. For example, "Sexiest Canadian Female Skater?" or "Real HOT!!! Sasha pics!". Nowadays, such threads would be considered inappropriate at the very least (not by me, though :)). What are your thoughts on this? And would any of the OGs here be able to summarize their feelings about how the discussions on GS evolved over the years?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
At that time? To be honest, I have no opinion about that (I started following skating in 2014), but this is not the place to discuss that anyway.
Sorry, I meant on the old forum threads you were reading!

It's now serious social history, of course....

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
{blink}{blink}{blink}

I opened the first one and... hey, I'm a fan of Kevin van der Perren! :laugh::jump::laugh: Not sure that's the reason though...

Thank you CaroLiza_fan :rock:

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
My first skating crush: Carol Heiss.

Sexiest lady: Irina Grigorian.
I won't mention how old we must be to be fans of Carol Heiss🤫. I don't know about how sexy Irina Gregorian is but I saw her encased in hula hoops at a Champions of Ice show in Seattle and she was totally amazing😲: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2IR_K3AAOk. I really appreciate having had the opportunity to see her.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So, we learned from this - when done with a ;) such discussions can still be possible.

Well, sexiest/best-looking in this or that sport is still a thing of course and given the modern publicity/endorsement culture, I don't see it going away for the most part (I still recall that rugby player calendar a workmate had though, I haven't seen one of those for a while, but glamour photoshoots of popular stars are not unseen). I guess part of the problem is social attitudes but also the problem, at least with the women, is the decline in the age of the top competitors: it would really get very uncomfortable very quickly to laud them for their looks.

And with the men, if they'd stop wearing their great-uncles' castoffs in what I assume is an effort to look cool, or tops made of 70s throwcushion fabric, some of them might get the level of admiration that leads to more endorsements and post-competitive exposure, but I don't see that happening soon.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My favorite threads were the Gracie threads of course....anything posted was guaranteed to be pages and pages. It was great. She's also the prettiest skater ever.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Times have indeed changed :) But hey, People magazine still runs their annual "Sexiest Man Alive" issue every Nov, I think. Twenty years ago, it was Johnny Depp :)

yesterday

Record Breaker
Times have indeed changed :) But hey, People magazine still runs their annual "Sexiest Man Alive" issue every Nov, I think. Twenty years ago, it was Johnny Depp :)
giphy.gif

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@AxelLover I have now gone down the rabbit hole of reading threads from previous years...
Is that where I got a recent like for a post I made 8 years ago about me thanking this forum after my 1st full season following figure skating came from? I appreciate it and it was fun looking back at it seeing how much has changed for me as a skating fan.