Finland will host GP event once again

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Last edited:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I read that on Twitter yesterday. Also, that the GPF will take place in Beijing (and I suppose Chinese GP will be back?)
It's good news, Finland is a reliable host, and enough audience always shows up at events held there.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My one request is for the medals to have gold, silver, and bronze color to it to be more...distinguishable.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Excellent news! I hope Makar is given a host spot. :) also they have two great ice dance teams including the current European medallists Juulia and Matthias!

It would be good to see Oona there as well, maybe even Emmi too and perhaps Finland's new pair Milania and Filippo?

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Excellent news! I hope Makar is given a host spot. :) also they have two great ice dance teams including the current European medallists Juulia and Matthias!

It would be good to see Oona there as well, maybe even Emmi too and perhaps Finland's new pair Milania and Filippo?
If they follow the ranking list in women, the best three at the moment are Janna, Olivia Lisko and Oona if I looked right and these are also the ones who got the TES for worlds this season. Makar got 189 this season, it is from junior but it will be count? There were some recommentations/rules also for host spots, the minimun scores will be annunced later? In women they maybe about six who has it if it close what it was this season. As I have understood, host country can give the spot also to skaters from another country. So it would be logical if Kyrylo Marsak would get one, as he trains in Finland. I hope they won't announce the host spots too early because it is not necessary. They could wait and see how the season begins.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
If they follow the ranking list in women, the best three at the moment are Janna, Olivia Lisko and Oona if I looked right and these are also the ones who got the TES for worlds this season. Makar got 189 this season, it is from junior but it will be count? There were some recommentations/rules also for host spots, the minimun scores will be annunced later? In women they maybe about six who has it if it close what it was this season. As I have understood, host country can give the spot also to skaters from another country. So it would be logical if Kyrylo Marsak would get one, as he trains in Finland. I hope they won't announce the host spots too early because it is not necessary. They could wait and see how the season begins.
I didn't think there were any rules for host spots. If I recall correctly from the John Wilson trophy GP event, a spot was given to Edward Appleby who competed in juniors the previous year with a HS of 182.41 - the minimum score for skaters to be 'invited' was 187.49 - 60% of Shoma's 312.48 winning score at 2022 Worlds.
Olivia (& Janna) appears to still be age eligible for JGP next season, however I'm not sure how many JGP places will be available for Finland.

I've just watched Kyrylo's SP from today's event and I thought he did a superb job. It would be lovely to see him compete alongside Valtter in Finland! 🤗

TimSparkle

Rinkside
Olivia (& Janna) appears to still be age eligible for JGP next season, however I'm not sure how many JGP places will be available for Finland.
Finland has 1 entry for 3 JGPs for both men and ladies as the result in Junior Worlds for both was 26th or lower.

TimSparkle

Rinkside
I didn't think there were any rules for host spots.
There actually is a certain criteria. In the Announcement of this year's GP series:

"A maximum of three Skaters/Couples in each discipline from the Organizing ISU Member may skate in the
Organizing ISU Member’s event.
"The domestic Skaters/Couples should fulfil the criteria of being on the top 75 Grand Prix Season’s Best list when first selected. It is not mandatory for the Organizing ISU Member’s Skaters/Couple
to fulfil the criteria of the minimum Grand Prix score but it is strongly suggested."

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
That sounds good! Depending on where the SkAm will be, Finland might be it for next year for me. So it is confirmed that GPF is in China and not in France… Argh there goes that plan. And JWC is in Taiwan… I dunno if I can do 2 events as I hoped for.

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
That sounds good! Depending on where the SkAm will be, Finland might be it for next year for me. Is it confirmed that GPF is in China and not in France?

Yep

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yep

Thank you. Messes up with my plans, but maybe they will move JWC? Or if SkAm is in a reasonable location, I can do SkAm and Finland. Or Eu if they are indeed in Budapest….

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I can only say it is deserved. Some of my best skating experiences were in Finland (as a fan of course) and I have no doubts why GP event will be held there again. Last year it was a blast.
Pity for me that it falls in the same week as Warsaw Cup this year, so I'll have to choose. We shall see who will get GP Espoo assignments this year.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
There actually is a certain criteria. In the Announcement of this year's GP series:

"A maximum of three Skaters/Couples in each discipline from the Organizing ISU Member may skate in the
Organizing ISU Member’s event.
"The domestic Skaters/Couples should fulfil the criteria of being on the top 75 Grand Prix Season’s Best list when first selected. It is not mandatory for the Organizing ISU Member’s Skaters/Couple
to fulfil the criteria of the minimum Grand Prix score but it is strongly suggested."
Makar is 79th. Oh well...if it's not mandatory maybe there is hope for him. And I reiterate my post about Edward, he was 114th on the SB list so it does happen.

I wonder what happened to France's original GPF schedule. It just feels like China has not been particularly easy to travel to over the last year, that they would now host a GP, GPF and 4CC all within a few months!

Andrea82

Medalist
Makar is 79th. Oh well...if it's not mandatory maybe there is hope for him. And I reiterate my post about Edward, he was 114th on the SB list so it does happen.
They usually ignore that part. Virtanen was out of top 100 in the SB and still got the host pick last season.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
They usually ignore that part. Virtanen was out of top 100 in the SB and still got the host pick last season.
I think this must be reached: The minimum total score is 3/5 of highest score per discipline at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2022 and are as follows: Women: 141.65, Men: 187.49, Pairs: 132.65, Ice Dance: 137.89. We will see after this week what it will be for next season. Edit: these are strongly suggested. Finland usually follows rules and recommendations accurate, in everything. If the winner gets more than 300, then men should get more than 200. But it is not demand, just suggestion. In women it will be quite near it was last season, I suppose.

Edit: According to this rule 134.77 is enough for women.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Well, I for one would love to see Suntsev again. I absolutely loved him in JWC and that strap accident. Anyway, talked to mom, and Finland appeals to her as well. We'll wait for assignments and SkAm determination. Then it's a bit of a question between EU in Budapest and JWC in Taipei. Unfortunately, political upheaval is making it hard to make plans that far ahead.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
All-event tickets will be on sale May 16th, 10.00 am local time (GMT+3)

All event tickets GP Espoo

Edit: Tickets are now cheaper than last time. All-event upper ice level is 225,50 € including delivery costs - I already bought my ticket. Last time the same at same sector was 335 € so the organizers understood it was too much for many. Balcony tickets seem to be about 94 € and lower ice level 259, I did not watch all sectors but these are at my favourite sector on that Arena.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Wow, I'm so out of the loop skating-wise I've missed all-event tickets going live lol.
Now I'm debating whether to buy in blind, I.e. before assignments or to wait...
And all-event place I had last year is indeed cheaper o.o, so my freaky plan to also do Finlandia Trophy this year may come through...