Flashback - 1973 World Championships | Golden Skate

Flashback - 1973 World Championships

S

SkateFan4Life

Flashback - 1973 World Championships

My memories of the 1973 World Championships, held in Bratislava, Czechoslovakia center on several themes:

"Hello, Short Program"
The 1973 Worlds were the first to include the new short program. Up until this time the singles competition was decided by the compulsory school figures and the long program. The school figures carried a great deal of weight, and a skater who was extremely strong in this discipline and who entered the long program with a substantial lead could count on winning a medal, if not the competition, provided that she/he skated a reasonably competent program. In Peggy Fleming's day, the school figures were 60 percent of the overall score, with the long program 40 percent, so a skater absolutely HAD to be strong in the school figures if she/he wanted to medal. By 1972 the ISU leveled the percentages to 50/50, but this still meant that a strong school figures skater had a jumpj-start on the competition.
Dynamic free skaters such as Janet Lynn, who were not so strong in the school figures, constantly had to play catch up to climb into medal position. Janet's comparative weakness in the school figures kept her off the podium at the 1970 & 1971 Worlds. She won the Olympic and World bronze medals in 1972. Still, there had been a considerable buzz over the women's Olympic and World champion, Austrian Trixi Schuba, who was probably one of the best school figures of all time but who was a relatively weak free skater. Many fans, including myself, who did not have the opportunity to see the school figures, found it difficult to understand how a skater as comparatively uninspiring as Trixi (nothing personal, folks, I'm just writing about her skating) could win championships over dynamic free skaters like Karen Magnussen and Janet Lynn.
Anyway, the ISU decided to even the playing field, and in 1973, the school figures were reduced to 30 percent of the overall score. A new short program, consisting of selected required elements, would count for 20 percent of the score, with the long program counting for 50 percent. In essence, the balance was swayed in favor of the dynamic free skaters.

Janet Lynn came into the 1973 Worlds with her fifth US title, and she was considered the likely winner. The skate gods were not with Janet during her short progam, however, as she fell twice, and was scored 12th in the short program. The next day she skated a dynamic long program (which she won) and finished second overall.

Karen Magnussen of Canada, who had won the 1972 Olympic and World silver medals, skated consistently throughout the competition and won the gold medal. I remember reading that she was honored with a luncheon with the Canadian Prime Minister, received the Order of Canada, and signed a lucrative contract with Ice Capades.

So....the short program was in the mix. As we've all seen in the years that have followed, and to quote some of the commentators, "You can't win a championship with the short program, but you can lose it with the short program."

"When the Music Stopped"
In my opinion, this was one of the oddest occurrences at Worlds. Soviet pair skaters Irina Rodnina and Alexandr Zaitsev, skating together in their first Worlds (she had won four previous Worlds and the 1972 Olympic pairs gold medal with former partner Alexsei Ulanov) had just begun their long program when their tape broke, and the music stopped. Dick Button, commentating, gasped, and said (to paraphase),
"Oh, oh, oh...something has happened. The music has stopped..and they're still skating." Indeed, Rodnina and Zaitsev continued on, with the crowd clapping encouragement
and the referee blowing his whistle for them to stop. The pair completed their program, and they won the gold medal. While I admired their gutsy performance, I wondered how the judges would score them on presentation - musicality, etc. - as there was no music for 75 percent of the program. I suspect that if the same thing happened today, the judges would insist that the skaters stop and either reskate from the beginning or pick up where the music stopped.

"Kicking a Little Butt"
Irina Rodnina had been dumped by her partner Alexsei Ulanov,
who had fallen in love with Ludmilla Smirnova, who was half of the Soviet silver-medal winning pair of Smirnova and Andrei Suraikin. Irina had cried her eyes out after skating her final competitive performance with Ulanov at the 1972 Worlds, after which she returned to the USSR, auditioned a large number of pair partners, and chose Alexandr Zaitsev. At the 1973 Worlds, Irina had the pleasure of defeating her ex-partner with her new partner. There's nothing like the fury of a woman scorned.....

D

DORISPULASKI

Re: Flashback - 1973 World Championships

As part of the fluff leading up to the 1988 Olympics ladies showdown, Janet Lynn was interviewed about her falls in the short program.

Janet said that this was a case where she was really thinking about winning. And because she was just thinking about Winning, she did not skate well. She said she went back to her room and thought it over, and skated her long as she usually did, as an effort to portray the love God had for the world, and that she skated well.

(This is from memory, so I may not have it exactly right).

Pieces of this Worlds can be seen on Magic Memories I from ABC, out of print, but now available on ebay. Be carefull.
MMI is more a fly over history of skating up to 1988. Very few full programs are included. Large chunks of programs there are Dorothy Hamill's Olympic program, John Curry's Olympic program (well worth the cost of the tape), and Torvill and Dean's 1984 Olympic program Bolero (worth the tape, but available elsewhere). There is about 1/2 of Boitano's Olympic LP. Pretty much everything else is short clips. However, the clips go all the way back to Gillis Grafstrom.

dpp

dpp

H

heyang

somewhat off topic - didn't G&G have an incident where their music stopped and they continued skating? I recall reading about this - not actually viewing.

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:teal;font-family:georgia;font-size:small;">I remember some competition (either Nationals or Worlds) when the lights went out in the arena while Wendy Burge (silver and bronze medalist at Nats, 6th at '76 Olympics) was still skating! She had just a few seconds to go. I don't remember what happened to cause the lights to blow. </span>0] :eek:

S

SkateFan4Life

Janet Lynn stated publicly on more than one occasion that she believed the purpose of her skating was not to win medals but to show God's love as she moved across the ice. She felt she had a God-given ability to skate/perform, and she wanted to express her joy of skating, plain and simple. In 1973, her mindset - "I have to win this competition" - was pretty much out of character for her, and perhaps this was, indeed, the reason why she fell twice in the short program.

S

SkateFan4Life

I think you're referring to the 1977 US Nationals. Linda Fratianne was on her way to winning her first US title, and during her long program, the lights went out in the arena. It was really wierd. I can't remember exactly when this happened in her program - I think she had just completed her routine and was taking her bows, when - poof - out went the lights.

:eek:

S

SkateFan4Life

The medalists at the 1973 Worlds:

Ladies:
Karen Magnussen, Canada, gold
Janet Lynn, USA, silver
Christine Errath, East Germany, bronze

Men:
Ondrej Nepala, Czechoslovakia, gold
Sergei Chetverukhin, silver