Flashback - 1988 World Figure Skating Championships - Budapest, Hungary | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Flashback - 1988 World Figure Skating Championships - Budapest, Hungary

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
RealtorGal said:
Yes, they were that phenomenal.

Have you actually seen them? I wish I could have seen those extraordinary figuers on tape, rather than her clutzy free skating performances that still won her gold medals, since she usually needed about a 4.0 average or something to sew it up.

S

SkateFan4Life

I've seen clips of Trixi Schuba skating the school figures, and while she did not look particularly graceful while doing so, her figures were outstanding. One segment showed the tracings, and they were practically on top of each other. She was by far the best school figures skater of her era. Her free skating, however, was another thing. At the 1972 Worlds, her last amateur competition, she won the school figures by a large margin, then finished only 7th in the free skate and still won the World title.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
SkateFan4Life said:
I've seen clips of Trixi Schuba skating the school figures, and while she did not look particularly graceful while doing so, her figures were outstanding. One segment showed the tracings, and they were practically on top of each other. She was by far the best school figures skater of her era. Her free skating, however, was another thing. At the 1972 Worlds, her last amateur competition, she won the school figures by a large margin, then finished only 7th in the free skate and still won the World title.

Thanks for the info. I wish if I had seen footing of her at all, it had been of her glorious figures rather than her lackluster free skating. She was decent enough a free skater for the time I guess, but compared to the top women, she just clunked around the ice, looking clumsy and heavy.

S

SkateFan4Life

At the 1972 World Figure Skating exhibition, Trixi skated a rather lanquid routine, then returned to center ice and traced a few figures. Several in the audience gave her a standing ovation for her tracings. Trixi was truly a master at the figures, and she won fairly and squarely, according to the rules. Had she been a dynamic free skater, too, she probably would have gone on to fame and fortune and possibly a lengthy professional show skating career.