"Fluff Piece" I would MOST like to see... | Golden Skate

"Fluff Piece" I would MOST like to see...

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Just had one of those smack your forehead - coulda had a V-8 moments.

If fluff is defined by "pieces" in the airing of a competition that aren't the actual competition, here's what I want to see.

A technical caller be interviewed. A look at the computer screens they use, the instant replay features, how they go about deciding the difficulty levels and verifying revolutions on spins / jumps and "timing" the "position holds on spirals.

A judge (or more) being interviewed. A look at the computer screens they use, and how they go about determining and entering GOE's and PCS scores.

"Ice Moves" where elements are demonstrated at various levels.

In fact, this might be a nice programming idea for that new Internet based service that the USFSA is sponsoring - a "pay per view" type in depth session on NJS. I might just go suggest that.

I think pieces like this would make a dandy replacement for Johnny's shopping trips, Sasha's joy of being back in CA, MK's make up tips, Weiss's clearly heterosexual lifestyle, etc.

Opinions?

DG

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I would like to see an interview with the most important person in the competition: the Zamboni driver. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Doggygirl, all joking aside, those are terrific suggestions.

To me, your post raises an important question about the appeal of figure skating as a spectator sport. Do casual television viewers enjoy the cute presonalities of the individual skaters (Sasha baking cookies), or are they interested in learning to appreciate the sport as a sport? Do they want to see the technique of a well executed triple Lutz, or do they just want to see the girl's skirt fly up?

(Personally, I'm on the fence on that one, LOL.)

Mathman

Doggygirl - Super Super Super questions. Having that sort of thing on TV would even make non skating fans interested in skating.

A Round Table discussion program would be neat too. Of course you and I would be on it.

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I actually did go to the "new" USFSA sponsored subscription internet site

http://www.mediazone.com/channel/figureskating/jsp/index.jsp#

And post these ideas in the "Programming Suggestions" section of the Forum.

I really think the world of TV and the Internet are rapidly evolving and even merging. I suspect for many sports (or hobbies, politics, etc.) that the Internet really is becoming the main source for comprehensive information about the topic at hand. So I think some of this stuff might be of interest to the more casual TV viewing fans, but I think an internet service providing more comprehensive information for the more serious fans might be a good idea.

What remains to be seen is whether there are enough "serious" FS fans to support a subscription service to provide more detailed information, coverage of "lesser" events, etc. I really hope so as I think coverage via the internet for events and "fluff" could be provided to a "niche" audience for a VASTLY lower cost than doing it on TV - whether that's regular broadcast or cable.

We shall see!!

DG

Doggygirl - Are you a Friend of the USFSA? If so, I'll see you at the luncheon in St. Louis. If you are not, I wouldn't suggest you join unless you are crazy like me. The perks are few but during the luncheon you can meet the stars of the Nationals (some of them anyway),

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Doggygirl - Are you a Friend of the USFSA? If so, I'll see you at the luncheon in St. Louis. If you are not, I wouldn't suggest you join unless you are crazy like me. The perks are few but during the luncheon you can meet the stars of the Nationals (some of them anyway),

Joe

LOL - I'm not starry eyed. I like to watch the sport competitively, but personally have little interest in "meeting" the stars in that type of setting. However, I would be a LOT more interested in meeting fellow skating fans where we have interacted for a long time on the internet, but never met in person.

We should organize a more casual Whine and Cheesefest event. ;)

DG

Julie O

Rinkside
Glad to read that you posted your suggestions, Doggygirl! They're excellent. A Whine and Cheesefest event....perfect! :rofl:

Julie

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I'd love to see some "fluff" on Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov. In USFS history, has there ever been a top 2 team that has been so ignored by the media? They've been on the podium four years in a row, yet I don't think there has been much of them shown at all, no backstage interviews or "fluffy" glimpses into their lives. It's a shame.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I would like to see a fluff piece catching us up on recently gone pro skaters. Like Maria B., Alexei Y., B&S, etc...and have it be info that we obviously haven't heard over and over. Man, I wish I was a FS journalist. I'm a little nosey
angel2.gif

lulu

Final Flight
CzarinaAnya said:
I would like to see a fluff piece catching us up on recently gone pro skaters. Like Maria B., Alexei Y., B&S, etc...and have it be info that we obviously haven't heard over and over. Man, I wish I was a FS journalist. I'm a little nosey
angel2.gif

Normally, I don't really like fluff pieces, they're usually boring and show the same clips over and over again, they usually feature the exact same skaters over & over again, and most importantly, we miss seeing clips of actual skating.

But, I do like your idea of having "catch up" fluff pieces on skaters. I think it would be interesting, since this is an Olympic Year, to have brief interviews with Olympic medalists from over the years to see what their life is like now.

There have been some good (IMHO) fluff pieces though. I really enjoyed the one of Navka w/ her family at last year's World Championships one. There was a good one on the pair teams from China a little while ago, a nice one on Eltsova & Bushkov in which they talked about their struggles, one on Midori Ito in which they focused on her musical talents; and my personal favorite, the fluff piece on M&D in 1994, which showed Artur tossing his son up in the air.

emma

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
Just had one of those smack your forehead - coulda had a V-8 moments.

If fluff is defined by "pieces" in the airing of a competition that aren't the actual competition, here's what I want to see.

A technical caller be interviewed. A look at the computer screens they use, the instant replay features, how they go about deciding the difficulty levels and verifying revolutions on spins / jumps and "timing" the "position holds on spirals.

A judge (or more) being interviewed. A look at the computer screens they use, and how they go about determining and entering GOE's and PCS scores.

"Ice Moves" where elements are demonstrated at various levels.

In fact, this might be a nice programming idea for that new Internet based service that the USFSA is sponsoring - a "pay per view" type in depth session on NJS. I might just go suggest that.

I think pieces like this would make a dandy replacement for Johnny's shopping trips, Sasha's joy of being back in CA, MK's make up tips, Weiss's clearly heterosexual lifestyle, etc.

Opinions?

DG

I would watch this...heck, I would watch hour long specials devoted to the NJS in any form or the technical aspects of skating etc.

Saundy

On the Ice
Well here in Canada, on CBC or CTV (I'm not sure which one right now, it might be both) they do have segments showing you specific jumps. I remember watching the 2005 Canadian Nationals they had a segment on showing pairs' lifts and a few various jumps. One time also, they showed jumps starting from single, up to double, and then up to triple. I found this much more interesting than "fluff" pieces on the actual skaters. Now don't get me wrong, they still have the "fluff" pieces, but it's not half as much as what I've watched on ABC. But I do still enjoy the "fluff" pieces my self, but you can only put up with so many in one show. :laugh:

heyang

Record Breaker
One of the networks already features ice moves. I remember Susie Wynn demo'ing ice dance moves with Chris Dean, Peggy speaking while Sarah demonstrated a layback, etc. I didn't care for the fluff where Michele spoke about the importance of costume and makeup.

I like the where are they now idea's as long as they don't just gloss it over. If I recall correctly, many of us were disappointed with a fluff piece on Tara last year since it was obviously out of date. It would be good to hear about skaters who didn't finish in the top 3, too.

It's always nice to read about skaters of byegone days and what they are now doing. I do get much of that in the Blades and IFS magazines.

I am more interested during a competition to hear about THAT competition right THEN and THERE. Not the results of the competition nor the play by play talk by the commentators. We already have that on the air and again in those magazines.

Doggygirl's suggestion allows for the more serious discussion about how judges arrived at their scores. If they have the power of their convictions they should be able to defend their scores.

BTW, If all the Nats goers agree to have a wHine and cheese talk, maybe St.Louis Blues could suggest a place to meet.

Joe

Chele615

Rinkside
Regarding Gregory and Petukhov and being ignored by the media. They really are. However, I can already see some fluff pieces coming up for this year on them based on the fact that Denis' citizenship came through this year and whatnot.

Up until this point, Katie Orscher and Garrett Lucash were pretty much ignored by the media too. I mean they were two time pairs silver medalists and even this year before the short program, the announcers didn't even include them in the "fight for first" segment they did on Inoue/Baldwin and Scott/Dulebohn. Of course it made it that much better when Katie and Garrett kicked butt and won ;)

Eeyora

Final Flight
It does seem like we only see fluff pieces on the same skaters. I always wanted to see more than we saw on Angela but I guess she is to private and insecure.