Free Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Free Dance

oxade21

Match Penalty
I watched their FD on youtube (I didnt feel like getting up to watch it live). While it has improved tons since Cup of China (it had to, it couldnt stay as bad as it was there) when I heard that music I thought of the stunning Masquerade Waltz of the great Krylova/ Ovsiannikov in the late 90s. It fell so far short of the power, drama,
making the music come to life and owning it, just the overall stunning performance to that same music of Anjelika and Oleg, that the difference is beyond words.
I don't think this comparison works, K/O skated in 6.0 era and under COP I personally haven't seen any gasp-inducing programs. In those days, they had more room for creativity.
Moreover, I personally do not find K/O that big of a deal. Matter of taste I guess.

oleada

Record Breaker
I love K/O, and Masquerade Waltz is my favorite dance from them, but I think that DomShabs have better choreography. But it's different times, different judging systems and different styles.

I think that they had a great skate and deserved the marks. :thumbsup:
Their CD was wonderful as well, but the OD a bit overmarked. It was better in China.

wushuang122

Rinkside
I love K/O, and Masquerade Waltz is my favorite dance from them, but I think that DomShabs have better choreography. But it's different times, different judging systems and different styles.

I think that they had a great skate and deserved the marks. :thumbsup:
Their CD was wonderful as well, but the OD a bit overmarked. It was better in China.

What? Do you think D/S has better techniques? Watch how slowthey are!especially for the lifts!I want to close the TV when I watch such a bad skating!

oleada

Record Breaker
What? Do you think D/S has better techniques? Watch how slowthey are!especially for the lifts!I want to close the TV when I watch such a bad skating!

Where did I say that they had better technique? Read again. I said better choreography.

DomShabs have very good edging and skating skills. They're not popular, but anyone one who says otherwise is kidding themselves.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Domnina has good edging and skating skills, but Shabalin not so much. That's why he resorts to massive arm waving and head slinging, to draw attention away from his feet.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Domnina and Shabalin delivered a powerful Free Dance (FD) to Waltz from Masquerade by Aram Khachaturian, which tells the story of an arranged and unequal marriage between an elderly man and a young woman.

The theme was highlighted by Domnina constantly trying to "run away" from her partner in the first part of the dance, while "turning away" from him throughout.

Thanks, mycelticblessing!

Ok, now I know why I got this strange discomfort when watching their program. It is almost as if he is trying hard to consumate this relationship!

beep_beep

Medalist
I'm with you on that. I think the event being in Russia had a lot to do with this. It was like mini Russian nationals. I still think their free dance looks like Rasputin dancing with a wedding cake.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb86/domninashabalin/2007-2008/Cup of China/77838844_fjb.jpg

I know this is a relatively mean comment with nothing to do with the technical aspects of the program,

but doesn't that thing in her head look like a piece of Mao Asada's dog ?

Alright, back to serious posting...

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Domnina's hair is so heavily bleached and plastered tight to her head that at times she appears to be BALD!