Free Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Free Dance

backoutsideedge

Rinkside
Weaver/Poje's FD was pleasant and had a romantic feel, but it didn't make me feel I had seen something special, and apparently the judges felt the same way. They didn't have any obvious mistakes, although their combination spin and circular footwork were only L2. While they didn't receive -GOE on any element, they also didn't get many +2 GOE from the judges, and their PCS scores were lukewarm, mostly in the lower 6s.

I think the problem is they don't have deep edges, and they don't command the ice with great speed and power.

I think this last statement here but chuckie is ridiculous. W&P have great edges and wonderful speed and power across the ice. Their FD has VERY FEW crossovers to gain speed (really the only time they're doing crossovers to gain speed is going into their lifts).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Apparently the judges feel W/P's edges, speed and power are good, but not as good as the teams who placed above them.

They gave a good performance that was enjoyable to watch, but there wasn't anything particularly unique or awe-inspiring about it.

This was their second season in the GP, and if they want to move up in the rankings, they are going to have to grab the attention of the judges and show that they are special. So far, they haven't. That isn't my fault.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Thnaks for the link, dorispulaski. I knew of CBC, but I could never get to this player. The one on the figure skating page always freezes on me

LaLola

On the Ice
I finally managed to watch the FD on video, German Eurosport shows all Grand Prix competiitions this year. Found it very interesting what the two commentators said about the top four couples, because it's nearly exactly what I thought.

C/L: They really like this couple, because they skate powerfull and fleet-footed at the same time. Of course their technique is great! The only thing they were not really sure about was the music.

K/N: On the same level as last year. Great positions and the commentators even liked their costumes (I don't agree here). What they mentioned is, that they didn't understand why the Russian FSU had chosen two starts where they can't win or even finish in second. It could have been so easy for them to go to the Grand Prix Final and it is a shame that they probably won't manage.

B/A: Best programme of the evening. Totally new direction but they called it a real strike. The elements are well integrated in the choreography and their interprtation of the music is also great. Thought the mistakes in the Twizzle-Sequence lost them about two points and that they would have won this easily otherwise.

D/S: They didn't like this programme too much, it was too much muddle. The lifts looked very strained, probably because she is very tall. The lines were not clear enough, not enoudh unsion. They thought tis programme was worse than B/A, K/N and even C/L. One of the commentators mentioned that two jury members were totally unexperienced and thats probably why they won.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thank you. That's very interesting indeed.

It's a similar take to what British Eurosport were saying, but even more so, as Nicky Slater was totally loving C&L, even over Tanith and Ben.

I like B&A's Tosca program, I really do.

I hadn't heard the point about the inexperienced judges before.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
Nicky Slater must have a problem with skaters at the top. At SC, he raved over Crone/Poirer like they were the greatest thing since Torvill and Dean! It was quite over the top, if you ask me. Does he simply like rooting for the underdogs?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
1. He always likes these very young teams, if they're good.
2. He always doesn't like teams that are one place ahead of the Kerrs. He used to like Meryl & Charlie in 2006/2007, now not so much. I'll be interested to see how he talks about F&S at TEB. Last year he was raving about them (3 ahead of Kerrs) the year before they were closer to the Kerrs. They were dogs.

rosee

On the Ice
Come on ;) He's actually one of the less biased commentator I've seen!

I often agree with him, not always, but often.
Meryl & Charlie had GREAT programs during the 2006/2007 season that really suited them, but last year? Not so much...Their Kalinka OD was a mess IMO, did not suit them at all and it obviously lacked of originality if you compare it to K&K and P&B's ODs.
BTW he thought that K&K had the best performance of their career during the OD at Euros last year but he disagreed with them beating P&B.
F&S improved SO much last year! It was incredible if you compare it to the mess that was their programs the year before (Pantera en Liberta :unsure: )

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Come on ;) He's actually one of the less biased commentator I've seen!

I often agree with him, not always, but often.
Meryl & Charlie had GREAT programs during the 2006/2007 season that really suited them, but last year? Not so much...Their Kalinka OD was a mess IMO, did not suit them at all and it obviously lacked of originality if you compare it to K&K and P&B's ODs.
BTW he thought that K&K had the best performance of their career during the OD at Euros last year but he disagreed with them beating P&B.
F&S improved SO much last year! It was incredible if you compare it to the mess that was their programs the year before (Pantera en Liberta :unsure: )

He is indeed. He and Simon and Chris are my definite favorites. That's why it's so funny when Nicky indulges in just a little rooting for the home team. I don't begrudge it to him a bit! It isn't like UK has that many top 10 singles, pairs or dance teams in the world at one time. The Kerrs are in great shape, and their programs this year are fabulous. Why wouldn't Nicky get a bit Scott Hamilton/Tracy Wilson on us about them (and their nearest rivals)?

;) back attcha

As to F&S, I'm less positive. Their OD was charming, but I abhorred their FD last year. It was kind of empty, the lifts repeated from the OD, AFAIR, the Yentl/Streisand music cuts was annoying, and the butterfly concept is just too Smurf & Smurfette for words.

Last edited:

lcd

Match Penalty
Weaver and Poje just seem to try too hard in the "look longingly into my eyes" department. Sacharine may be sweet, but it isn't all that good for you...