Freestyle or Debut... 11 y/o, US Free Skate 5 | Golden Skate

Freestyle or Debut... 11 y/o, US Free Skate 5

p41g3y

Spectator
Hi! I am looking for boot and blade recommendations for my daughter. She started Learn to Skate in US in 2021 and completed the Skating Academy (up to Free Skate 4) in December 2022. We were given bad advice by a shop and put her in skates that were too large because they were very discounted, and told to have her wear two pairs of socks, then reduce as her feet grew.... I now understand how horrible of advice this was, but they somehow got her to this point. They were Riedell Emerald 119 Skates with stock blade.

She is now in Free Skate 5, and recently started private lessons. Her coach recommended we get her professional fitted for skates. Her skates fit or are slightly too small now, but they are also broken in incorrectly and we were told he highly recommends new skates as soon as possible.

She is about to be 12 years old, 5' 110 lbs and can do waltz, toe loop, and Lutz... She wears a 6.5 in Jackson Ultima according to the fitter. She currently spends only about 2-3/hours a week (1 hr private lessons) on the ice but will likely be increasing.

I'm trying to decide if we should go with the Jackson Ultima Freestyle with stock aspire blades now, assuming her foot may grow in the next year before she really needs higher quality boots/blades, or go ahead with the Jackson Ultima Debut boot with Coronation Blade? Cost is a factor for us, so it will take several family members pitching in to make the second option happen -- my hesitation is making it happen only for her to very quickly need a larger size. I know this is impossible for anyone to predict -- but would appreciate any advice here! At her current level, is the Freestyle good for the next year, or will she need the quality of the Debut sooner?

Thank you!

Last edited:

p41g3y

Spectator
Notes from fitting, if helpful:

Left foot:
9 1/2 "
Ball: 8 3/8"
(He measured her instep but did not write it down on the sheet he gave me)

Right foot:
9 3/8"
Ball: 8 1/4"

Arch: M

Pronation

Jackson: 6.5
Edea: 245
Riedell: 6

--

Also, the person we went to for fitting does not sell/recommend specific skates directly, but instead refers you to someone he had a partnership with. This secondary person recommended either the Jackson Freestyle or Debut for her on initial contact, but told me he is going to review more thoroughly and call me tomorrow. :)

Lucie

Rinkside
If Jackson are the best fit for her feet:

It sounds like you should go with the Freestyle at this point, for several reasons.
1. The Freestyle is an appropriate stiffness for your daughters weight and level
2. The Freestyle is just as good quality a boot as the Debut and only slightly less stiff and the blade is comes with is fine for her level and plenty of people use it when learning and do fine
3. She is still growing and as money is a strong consideration you are likely better getting the boot and blade setup of the Freestyle rather than struggling to afford a debut plus Coro ace then her outgrow it in a few months
4. As she is still growing she will likely outgrow the boot rather than have to replace it due to breaking it down, a slightly softer boot will be easier for her to break in so she doesn’t outgrow it just as she’s broken it in

One thing I would be concerned about is whether a 6.5 would be the right size for her larger foot. A 6.5 is for a foot measuring 9 7/16 and her left foot is already larger than this. Even if it initially fits but is a bit tight there will be no room for growth. Children’s boots are usually fitted slightly larger than adults to allow for this.

I’m also concerned that this ‘fitter’ does not recommend boots. Different boot brands suit different shapes of feet. She needs to be fitted by a skate tech who can tell you which brand suits her foot shape best. As she has only worn one pair of badly fitting boots she needs a skate tech/fitter to confirm which boot brand it best for her.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! I am looking for boot and blade recommendations for my daughter. She started Learn to Skate in US in 2021 and completed the Skating Academy (up to Free Skate 4) in December 2022. We were given bad advice by a shop and put her in skates that were too large because they were very discounted, and told to have her wear two pairs of socks, then reduce as her feet grew.... I now understand how horrible of advice this was, but they somehow got her to this point. They were Riedell Emerald 119 Skates with stock blade.

She is now in Free Skate 5, and recently started private lessons. Her coach recommended we get her professional fitted for skates. Her skates fit or are slightly too small now, but they are also broken in incorrectly and we were told he highly recommends new skates as soon as possible.

She is about to be 12 years old, 5' 110 lbs and can do waltz, toe loop, and Lutz... She wears a 6.5 in Jackson Ultima according to the fitter. She currently spends only about 2-3/hours a week (1 hr private lessons) on the ice but will likely be increasing.

I'm trying to decide if we should go with the Jackson Ultima Freestyle with stock aspire blades now, assuming her foot may grow in the next year before she really needs higher quality boots/blades, or go ahead with the Jackson Ultima Debut boot with Coronation Blade? Cost is a factor for us, so it will take several family members pitching in to make the second option happen -- my hesitation is making it happen only for her to very quickly need a larger size. I know this is impossible for anyone to predict -- but would appreciate any advice here! At her current level, is the Freestyle good for the next year, or will she need the quality of the Debut sooner?

Thank you!

Notes from fitting, if helpful:

Left foot:
9 1/2 "
Ball: 8 3/8"
(He measured her instep but did not write it down on the sheet he gave me)

Right foot:
9 3/8"
Ball: 8 1/4"

Arch: M

Pronation

Jackson: 6.5
Edea: 245
Riedell: 6

--

Also, the person we went to for fitting does not sell/recommend specific skates directly, but instead refers you to someone he had a partnership with. This secondary person recommended either the Jackson Freestyle or Debut for her on initial contact, but told me he is going to review more thoroughly and call me tomorrow. :)
Hello and welcome!

Do you mind telling us where in the world you are so we can suggest a proper pro fitter? The situation with your "fitter" is quite odd and something I have never ever heard of before and I've been in this sport quite awhile!

The biggest worry I have here is if her feet are even meant for Jackson boots at all. There are also options that you have not listed. Such as Risport, Graf.
Her feet should have also been traced. That helps with what brands will be best for her as well. Until I knew these things I would be hesitant to suggest a brand that may work and what to do. I do feel like stock beginner sets are not going to be the best option no matter what brand.

If you could provide some of the info I asked for earlier, I should be able to help a bit better.
Good luck! :)

p41g3y

Spectator
If Jackson are the best fit for her feet:

It sounds like you should go with the Freestyle at this point, for several reasons.
1. The Freestyle is an appropriate stiffness for your daughters weight and level
2. The Freestyle is just as good quality a boot as the Debut and only slightly less stiff and the blade is comes with is fine for her level and plenty of people use it when learning and do fine
3. She is still growing and as money is a strong consideration you are likely better getting the boot and blade setup of the Freestyle rather than struggling to afford a debut plus Coro ace then her outgrow it in a few months
4. As she is still growing she will likely outgrow the boot rather than have to replace it due to breaking it down, a slightly softer boot will be easier for her to break in so she doesn’t outgrow it just as she’s broken it in

One thing I would be concerned about is whether a 6.5 would be the right size for her larger foot. A 6.5 is for a foot measuring 9 7/16 and her left foot is already larger than this. Even if it initially fits but is a bit tight there will be no room for growth. Children’s boots are usually fitted slightly larger than adults to allow for this.

I’m also concerned that this ‘fitter’ does not recommend boots. Different boot brands suit different shapes of feet. She needs to be fitted by a skate tech who can tell you which brand suits her foot shape best. As she has only worn one pair of badly fitting boots she needs a skate tech/fitter to confirm which boot brand it best for her.
Hi there! Thank you for your response. We went with the Freestyle and just started wearing then yesterday! I really hope the 6.5 is the correct size... We had them heat fitted the other day and the fitter said they were the perfect size for her foot. 🥲

I'm not sure where else to go where we are (Northeast Florida) -- he seems to be who all the skaters at the rink go to.

p41g3y

Spectator
Hello and welcome!

Do you mind telling us where in the world you are so we can suggest a proper pro fitter? The situation with your "fitter" is quite odd and something I have never ever heard of before and I've been in this sport quite awhile!

The biggest worry I have here is if her feet are even meant for Jackson boots at all. There are also options that you have not listed. Such as Risport, Graf.
Her feet should have also been traced. That helps with what brands will be best for her as well. Until I knew these things I would be hesitant to suggest a brand that may work and what to do. I do feel like stock beginner sets are not going to be the best option no matter what brand.

If you could provide some of the info I asked for earlier, I should be able to help a bit better.
Good luck! :)
Oh man, we went ahead and ordered the boots last Friday, had them heat fitted a few days ago and started wearing them yesterday... I have another thread with concerns she's had with the blades. There are some areas of pressure with the boots (top of the foot, outer ankle) but we assumed that's just part of the breaking in process... He did not trace her foot. We are located in Jacksonville, Florida. Thank you so much for your response!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Oh man, we went ahead and ordered the boots last Friday, had them heat fitted a few days ago and started wearing them yesterday... I have another thread with concerns she's had with the blades. There are some areas of pressure with the boots (top of the foot, outer ankle) but we assumed that's just part of the breaking in process... He did not trace her foot. We are located in Jacksonville, Florida. Thank you so much for your response!
I will post again in this thread with more info for you regarding fitters etc. But since you already got the boots, she should be ok for now in those. As far as the ankles: Did the fitter/tech punch the ankles? As far as the top of foot, sounds like the toe box might be too small/tight top to bottom rather than side to side. See if the tech can bake and stretch them.

Last edited:

p41g3y

Spectator
I will post again in this thread with more info for you regarding fitters etc. But since you already got the boots, she should be ok for now in those. As far as the ankles, go: Did the fitter/tech punch the ankles? As far as the top of foot, sounds like the toe box might be too small/tight top to bottom rather than side to side. See if the tech can bake and stretch them.
Thank you again -- we are definitely seeing these as transition skates to hopefully get her through the next year unless her foot grows faster than that... I would greatly appreciate advice for the next pair we get!

Unfortunately I was walking around to occoupg my two year old during the fitting process, but he did say to have her skate in them for a bit, have her coach look them over, and come back for adjustments.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you again -- we are definitely seeing these as transition skates to hopefully get her through the next year unless her foot grows faster than that... I would greatly appreciate advice for the next pair we get!

Unfortunately I was walking around to occoupg my two year old during the fitting process, but he did say to have her skate in them for a bit, have her coach look them over, and come back for adjustments.
Boots take time to break in, they will feel stiff etc for awhile, but will eventually become more comfortable to her foot.
Your best bet in FL is if Tim is still at Rinkside Sports in Wesley Chapel, FL. I know that's a few hours from you, but FL does not have a number of skate pros like other places unfortunately. Again, ankle punch is not a big deal and many techs ask from the start if the skater wants it/needs it.
My techs know when it's time for a new pair of Risport Dance Prime boots for me that the ankles will be punched LOL!

As far as her next boots/blades. They would be a separate boot and blade and I would wait until the time comes and see her stats at the time and assess based on her needs then. I could make suggestions at that time if you wish.