FSDIA's Conversations in Color Podcast | Golden Skate

FSDIA's Conversations in Color Podcast

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Asher and Acacia Hill of Canada have been hosting a very informative and revealing podcast this year. It has been talked about in a previous thread related to Elladj Balde (and Elladj appears as one of the guests on the inaugural episode). In order for more fans to discover the podcast, I thought it would be worthwhile to provide a dedicated thread.

Most of the episodes are around 35 minutes long. There are a couple of multi-part episodes, which I think is a great way for longer discussions to be posted. The latest episode I was very interested to see, is a conversation with Asian skaters from various generations in the sport (Patrick Chan; Tina Chen; Michelle Hong; and Mirai Nagasu). They touch on some topics that are great to be brought out more into the open. It's wonderful to hear from each of them individually about their personal journeys in the sport, and to learn how they were impacted and eventually began to process the importance of their different cultural heritages within the homogenized and often prejudicial sport of figure skating, as well as within the global society. They also discuss their passion for the sport, and the complexities involved in transitioning out of competitive careers, etc.

I'm Not Michelle Kwan, But Thank You: Being Asian in Figure Skating, Part 1

The above episode was posted at the end of May. I don't see the Part 2 video uploaded yet.

I would also recommend checking out the three-part series of conversations with a group of black male skaters (the majority of whom I never knew existed, much less did I know they competed in figure skating, and had/have pro careers). Also fascinating is the inaugural three-part podcast with Elladj, Vanessa James, and Mae-Berenice Meite. Here's a link to the FSDIA YouTube page where videos of all the episodes are posted: