Torgashev and Edmunds reflect on injuries and recovery | Golden Skate

Torgashev and Edmunds reflect on injuries and recovery

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In this interview on her podcast, Andrew Torgashev and Polina Edmunds discuss recovery from injury, training for a long and healthy career, goals for an elite skating career. Andrew asks Polina "How can we have skaters stay healthy in the sport for two to three years?" Although they talk about their own injuries, they also talk in general and provide insight on the elite athlete's mindset.

at the end of the podcast, Polina asks what are his goals for the next four years and he says his ambitions have changed:

" I hope to have people remember my name and what I was doing on the ice"

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In this interview on her podcast, Andrew Torgashev and Polina Edmunds discuss recovery from injury, training for a long and healthy career, goals for an elite skating career. Andrew asks Polina "How can we have skaters stay healthy in the sport for two to three years?" Although they talk about their own injuries, they also talk in general and provide insight on the elite athlete's mindset.

at the end of the podcast, Polina asks what are his goals for the next four years and he says his ambitions have changed:

I for one will always remember the name Andrew Torgashev. Get healthy and please come back next year

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I for one will always remember the name Andrew Torgashev. Get healthy and please come back next year

Absolutely.

when I listened to the podcast, I learned just how dangerous it is for a skater to rush back simply to win medals or to achieve other ambitions. I think, although he did not spell it out quite that way, that this is what Andrew learned. That a skater’s ambitions cannot simply be limited to medals and placements.

And Andrew’s unique style is why I will remember him :)

Apple1078

Final Flight
What a great listen! :) With the news of his injury and pulling out of the qualifiers for nats, I was worried/wondering how he was. It sounds like he has learnt a lot about himself so I'm actually very hopeful that he'll come back strong next season.

Scott512

Record Breaker

That was a very interesting listen. Sorry Andrew has been so injury prone But I think this is the normal life of a high level figure skater. Once the injuries start they are hard to stop. I speak of running 5 k's and the occasional 10K in recent years and I've had some lower extremity injuries and plantar fasciitis. I live through it I work out through it but I can't imagine what it's like to have lower extremity injuries in figure skating and then jumping up-and-down after that working through it. Talk about tougg. Is much respect to Andrew I hope he makes it back.

Paulina has always been interesting for me I remember her at the 2014 Winter games in Russia. I felt she had a very big future and an elegant skater. I think she also has other interests which is a good thing.

lurkz2

On the Ice

ice_tulip

On the Ice
"I hope to have people remember my name and what I was doing on the ice"

That gives the impression he does not believe he will be skating competitively anymore. Am I correct? I hope not. He was one of my favorite skaters and I was so hoping he would finally break through and rise to the top.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"I hope to have people remember my name and what I was doing on the ice"

That gives the impression he does not believe he will be skating competitively anymore. Am I correct? I hope not. He was one of my favorite skaters and I was so hoping he would finally break through and rise to the top.

I apologize if pulling that quote from the interview gave that impression.

Andrew intends to continue competing.:hap10: Polina asked how Andrew would like to be remembered when all is said and done.

The quote was particularly good, in my opinion, because Andrew said something to the effect of at one time I was overly concerned with

results, [ paraphrasing, that is not exactly how he said it ] but now I hope to have people remember my name.

The interview is more nuanced and honest than many figure skating interviews, I recommend a listen if you have time.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Figure skating is a tough sport. It is very expensive, very intense, it is not "rewarded" like football, hockey, basketball or baseball with financial reward and endorsements. Sure there is some "financial gain" but very few and it is often in non North American countries. Very few can make it. Injuries, judging, body development, growth are huge factors. Unlike some sports where the goal is to score and it really doesn't matter how you score - figure skating is a sport where how you do something does count and the score is affected ie GOE's and levels. There are a lot of variables. Timing with body and growth is important. Had the Olympics been held in 2017 for example Evgenia would have a gold and a year earlier in Sochi Patrick Chan probably would have won. life is about timing, sometimes, yes luck is a factor. Nathan had his one bad skate at the wrong time and ended off the podium in 2018 at the olympics. Andrew and Polina can relate. An injury can change history ie Randy Gardner, Angelina Krylova or Dubreil all had untimely injuries.