Gao gets inspiration from Kim in Toronto | Golden Skate

Gao gets inspiration from Kim in Toronto

R.D.

Record Breaker
Here's something for you Christina Gao fans out there:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100629&content_id=11718042&vkey=ice_news

Gao's relocation from Cincinnati, her birthplace, to Toronto a year ago has proven relatively easy for the teen, who lives near the rink with her dad, Chang Gao. Mom Weihong Zhang and sister Caroline, 12, remain home but visit. Both parents emigrated from China to the U.S. many years ago.

"I love Toronto," Christina said. "I really like the city life; it's more lively. It's easier to get places. With the buses and subways, I wouldn't mind never driving. I'm in no hurry to get my [driver's] license.

"I do miss my friends back home, but I talk to them online, and I've made new friends in Toronto."

One of those is the 19-year-old Kim, whom Gao calls "an inspiration. She has a really good work ethic; she's really determined. Everything about her training is good. Just watching her practice is amazing.

"I know she's under a lot of pressure, but you would never know it. It's amazing how well she did at the Olympics. She's just the same [as the other skaters] around the rink. She's a big star but she doesn't act like it."

Some of Kim's notoriety has rubbed off: Christina was surprised to see that her twitter followers number well over 1000.

"I think that's mostly because of Yu-Na," she said. "She follows me on twitter, so a lot of South Korean fans do, too. It's cool."