Germany’s Grimm and Savitskiy hungry for more | Golden Skate

Germany’s Grimm and Savitskiy hungry for more

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The German Junior Champions teamed up in September 2019 without previous ice dance experience. Both had come to Oberstdorf and trained in singles before deciding to switch to ice dance.

“It happened more or less by accident,” Savitskiy shared. “At the time, we both switched from singles to ice dance and had a try out and now we are an ice dance couple.”

“I didn’t really have the feeling for singles anymore and girls started doing quads,” recalled Grimm. “I said right away, ‘I’m not doing this’ and a lot of people told me I should do ice dance.” “Jump-wise I was doing okay, but lost the interest in single skating,” Savitskiy added. “I basically wanted to retire, but then I had the opportunity to switch to ice dance and I thought, ‘why shouldn’t I try it?'”

I'm excited to see this team grow! Savitskiy was going to retire before he and Grimm decided to team up as ice dancers in 2019.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks for the great interview!
I loved these 2 on the JGP and at Junior Worlds. So pleased to hear they're staying junior and hope to challenge for a spot at the JGPF. Good luck to them next season, I look forward to seeing them compete!

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I fell in love with their skating at their first JGP in Courchevel, they had many interesting and unique elements and a lot of charisma despite the clear nerves and lack of experience present at that point and I was very hopeful for their future but even I could have never foreseen how quickly these two would improve.

Very happy to hear that they will stay in Juniors, with some other top Jr Ice Dance Teams moving up into seniors or splitting up, they have good chances at medalling in the JGP series. I hope they can continue to surprise and please us with unique elements, choreography and charm in the coming seasons and establish themselves as a top Dance Team - But most of all, I hope that they continue to have as much fun skating as they clearly do right now.

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree! I was impressed with the maturity of their Free Dance this year (Sarabande). They showed a lot of intensity and I love the final rotational lift! I queued their FD at JW below:

He presents her really well and she is so lithe! I'd like to see a more seamless entrance to that curve lift, but it was very clever!