Getting back on the ice after a freak accident | Golden Skate

Getting back on the ice after a freak accident

sweetsephia

Spectator
Does anyone have advice for returning to the ice after a freak accident?
I fell and sliced my leg open in the past month while working on continuous 3 turns (I am still at a complete loss how I actually sliced my leg), and I had to be taken to the ER and get a lot of stitches; the recovery process has been worse (and better) than expected. I have some numbness I'm going to PT to try to regain some ankle control before getting back on the ice (I didn't slice anything motion-related, but I am struggling with the now numb area of my calf and upper ankle, along with nerve pain as it continues to heal).
I thought I would be fine, but the more I think about returning to the ice, the more anxiety I have.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Does anyone have advice for returning to the ice after a freak accident?
I fell and sliced my leg open in the past month while working on continuous 3 turns (I am still at a complete loss how I actually sliced my leg), and I had to be taken to the ER and get a lot of stitches; the recovery process has been worse (and better) than expected. I have some numbness I'm going to PT to try to regain some ankle control before getting back on the ice (I didn't slice anything motion-related, but I am struggling with the now numb area of my calf and upper ankle, along with nerve pain as it continues to heal).
I thought I would be fine, but the more I think about returning to the ice, the more anxiety I have.

I had a freak accident which required an operation remove and realign/attach my kneecap, and I was left with no control whatsoever over my right leg after this, as the thigh muscle and nerves had been severed. I relearned to walk but it took me 18 years to get back on the ice. I really wish I'd done it sooner.

My recommendation to you is to take the advice of your PT and don't rush anything, but equally don't delay getting back on the rink because of anxiety. Having a coach with you helps for the initial steps and there is no shame in wearing all the padding you feel you want or need if it helps you feel better and safer.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm not going to talk about the physical aspects of your recovery, but the psychological ones.

I know someone who was involved in a serious mountaineering accident (serious as in one person was killed and the lone survivor of the fall spent 24 hours perched on a ledge before being helicoptered off the mountain face).

They went for counseling, and considering all the circumstances the counselor thought they did not have PTSD. Even so, getting back to climbing took a long time. At first, they turned down all climbing invites. Then they accepted, but just didn't feel up to going when the time came. Eventually, they went, and had no problems then or after.

So you may want to return to skating as soon as physically possible. If you feel psychologically prepared, great. But if you don't, you may just want to wait until it "feels right". Delaying your return DOES NOT mean that you will never return or that you are "weak" in some way. Do what is right for you. Hopefully your body will tell you when it's time to return and you will have many years of enjoyable skating ahead of you.

Edited to add: re-reading the above post, I see that "a long time" wasn't so long at all. It was about a year, not 18 years!

sweetsephia

Spectator
I had a freak accident which required an operation remove and realign/attach my kneecap, and I was left with no control whatsoever over my right leg after this, as the thigh muscle and nerves had been severed. I relearned to walk but it took me 18 years to get back on the ice. I really wish I'd done it sooner.

My recommendation to you is to take the advice of your PT and don't rush anything, but equally don't delay getting back on the rink because of anxiety. Having a coach with you helps for the initial steps and there is no shame in wearing all the padding you feel you want or need if it helps you feel better and safer.
I'm not going to talk about the physical aspects of your recovery, but the psychological ones.

I know someone who was involved in a serious mountaineering accident (serious as in one person was killed and the lone survivor of the fall spent 24 hours perched on a ledge before being helicoptered off the mountain face).

They went for counseling, and considering all the circumstances the counselor thought they did not have PTSD. Even so, getting back to climbing took a long time. At first, they turned down all climbing invites. Then they accepted, but just didn't feel up to going when the time came. Eventually, they went, and had no problems then or after.

So you may want to return to skating as soon as physically possible. If you feel psychologically prepared, great. But if you don't, you may just want to wait until it "feels right". Delaying your return DOES NOT mean that you will never return or that you are "weak" in some way. Do what is right for you. Hopefully your body will tell you when it's time to return and you will have many years of enjoyable skating ahead of you.

Edited to add: re-reading the above post, I see that "a long time" wasn't so long at all. It was about a year, not 18 years!
Thank you both for your replies! Very appreciated <3
I've been looking at those slice-resistant hockey socks. Really surprised those (or leggings) don't really exist for figure skaters now, tbh.
The psychological recovery definitely plays a role--I might try going to the rink and at least sitting for a bit during a session so I can get through some of the anxiety.
One upside is my back-ordered blades will be here right at the time I've been told I will likely be able to return to the ice properly.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thank you both for your replies! Very appreciated <3
I've been looking at those slice-resistant hockey socks. Really surprised those (or leggings) don't really exist for figure skaters now, tbh.
The psychological recovery definitely plays a role--I might try going to the rink and at least sitting for a bit during a session so I can get through some of the anxiety.
One upside is my back-ordered blades will be here right at the time I've been told I will likely be able to return to the ice properly.
You can buy leggings with "cut-resistant panels" over the ankle but I've been skating a long time and have only ever had holes in my leggings from the lace hooks.

Take your time and try not to worry too much about it. Lightning rarely strikes in the same place twice.