Going to Napa - any suggestions | Golden Skate

Going to Napa - any suggestions

heyang

Record Breaker
Hi, all.

I'm headed to Sacramento in early April for my cousin's wedding. It's going to be bittersweet since our grandfather passed away a few weeks ago. Anyway, he was always teaching us to experience life.

So, since I'll be out there and I have vacation days to burn, I thought I'd spend a couple of extra days and go to Napa. I will be travelling on my own since no one else is staying longer due to work or kids.

So far, I'm attending a cooking demo at the Culinary Institute of America. I also want to check out the mud baths and spas - any suggestions. I'm also having a hard time narrowing down my choice of wineries.

I only have 3 days in Napa.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I am sorry about your gramdpa, please accept my condolences.

I love Napa and I go there every year. I never go for more than a day though, and we usually get 3 wineries squezed in, so I think you will get a lot accomplished.

I can't recall most wineries names exept for obvious once like Robert Mondavi and the Coppala, so I will have to get back to you as far as the names. But if you have 3 days and the the cash, I highly recommend for you to book a train tour (I think that's the proper description) - everybody who has taken it raves about it. You travel on the train through the vally, visit the wineries, eat fantastic food...pure haven!

The wineries you should definitely visit (can't recall the names!) include a Persian one - just to see the palace is worth the trip, and "something" caves - the wines are stored in barrels a cave where the booze used to be hidden during the prohibition. We took the full tour and we had to "crawl" out of the cave due to all lovely wines we sampled :)

Enjoy-

Yana

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
We loved Sacramento!! Lots of things to see. Mountains on the west, ocean on the east. Gold Rush area. Don't know if it's still there but we really liked Two Guys from Italy italian restaurant and Jeremiahs. Now should be about the best time there as far as weather is concerned. It will start getting really hot before too long and fall is rain, rain, amd more rain. Have a great time and update us later.

redladybug21

Rinkside
Napa is a beautiful place and I lived in the area for 5 years. I'd suggest the Wine Train its lots of fun, but if u do go I'd say go at night, bc in the daytime the view isn't that great. lol Also the town of St. Helena is very touristy and has got some great shops. There are many great restaurants in the area depending on what you like. Bring a camera, as the area is gorgeous. Not really big into winerys, so can't help you there, but the Mondavi one is really nice.
Enjoy the Valley

btw you could go on a hot air balloon ride! (they always looked like fun)

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Ok, I finally looked up the wineries I mentioned in the above post, and here are they are:

1) Del dotto Caves - a must to do their $20 tours. They tend to sell out so call ahead to make a reservation.

2) Dariqush - That's the Persian palace. Absolutely stunning architecture, design. wines are decent too!

3) Sterling - another beatiful winery. A ski-lift type takes you to the top for the wine tasting.

These are on the Silverado wine trail.

I also have to say that Robert Mondavi has 2 (IIRC) wine tasting rooms. You start off with very good wine, then you move up, and it's so much better, and then the next room - that's the super reserve, limited production wine..makes you really appreciate fine wine.

Enjoy-

Edited to add: I am not sure if Calistoga is nearby, they are in the SF region, and they have really nice mud baths.

heyang

Record Breaker
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I leave on Friday. Yippeee!!! So, looking forward to being away from work.

I plan to visit Calistoga. Already scheduled a mud bath, mini facial and full massage at Indian Springs.