Gold On Ice Show 4/19 in Leesburg, VA featuring Ilia Malinin, Deanna & Max and more | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Gold On Ice Show 4/19 in Leesburg, VA featuring Ilia Malinin, Deanna & Max and more

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So first half review:

There was a theater on ice group that came on first. They were decent. Then Ilia came out and did his SP from the current season (Not going to try to spell it). EVERYONE was hyped. Myself included of course. He was so so so good. There was a huge applause afterwards. He then went on the mic and basically thanked everyone for coming and hope they enjoy the show. Then he introduced his sister Liza cause she was skating next. She was so good and so adorable out there. Tkachenko/Kiliakov did their Thriller Ex and they brought the energy! There was a local skater that skated, Lindsey Thorngren, and Ting Cui (I think she was skating to East of Eden). Keegan Messing brought the charm and the backflip. The theater on ice group performed again. Then the last skater in the 1st half was this French skater that was skating to Thunderstruck. The lights were turned off and he he skated with sticks that were on fire. Fire as in stuff that burns. I was speechless. I guess it made sense since the French are known for their flair on the ice. Zamboni is on now. I’ll talk about the 2nd half after everything.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So 2nd half of the show.

It kind of went by like a blur in some ways. But I’ll talk still. Most of these won’t be in order in how they perform, so apologies. So Polina Edmunds skated and now the only one from the USA 2014 Olympic team that I haven’t seen skate (And probably never will) is Felicia Zhang. Isabeau Levito was lovely on the ice. Chock/Bates and Stelatto/Deschamps we’re great as well. Donovan Carillo skated started off with a mask then took it off. There was also an acrobatic skater skating to Spider-Man. Sarah Everhardt was good too. Keegan skated again. So did Ilia. Whoever says Ilia isn’t a performer on ice as well….he was FEELING it. I think it was his EX from worlds. There was a tribute to the Key Bridge collapse to “Imagine.” The end/outro was a bit too long in my opinion, but they all looked like they were enjoying it.

Next post will be on the M&G.

Last edited:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Omg I just pecked out a really long post on my phone and now I've lost it. It was a great, great show with a wonderful vibe for skaters and audience alike. I enjoyed everyone, all the skaters were really putting a lot into their performances. Loved Ting so much, also Keegan, Deanna and Max, Madi and Evan, Isabeau, Donovan. The local theater on ice group, the acrobatic and showy numbers were nice additions. Great show. Got to say hi to cheerknithanson!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So the M&G….they should have given instructions on how it was going to work beforehand. But we made a long line snaking around to go to a table where there were skaters signing stuff. I had Gracie sign above her signature from when I saw her 10 years ago. On the page next to that was Kevin Reynolds’ signature from Skate America 2017. Evan Bates noticed it and I was like “He’s one of my all time favorites.” Madison said he had the best hair and I said “And his music choices.” And I also mentioned how I went to Skate America 2017 mainly to see him. Then I had them sign my autograph book and congratulated them on their World title.

I moved over to Deanna and Max. I had them sign my book and I told Deanna that since she was we born in 1983, she probably recognized the band’s name on my shirt, which was Hanson. She laughed and said yes. I told her they’re my favorite band. And I got their pic.

I moved over to Isabeau. She signed my book and I told her I remember in her ISU bio, it mentioned she either knitted or crochet. And we talked a tiny bit about it like she likes making plushies and I like making hats. I then got a selfie with her.

Then I moved over to Ilia. I told him that I’m not sure if he remembers, but I was the one who gave him the hat I knitted for him that was in English and Cyrillic. I think he said he did (I was getting tired a bit). And I told him that I’ve been watching his career since his JGP debut and I had a feeling that he was going to go far. And that it was cool to see a skater from my home county do well. He said thank you. I got his autograph and a selfie (Better than last year).

Last I talked to Keegan. I told him that I love his charm on the ice. And I saw the video of him doing a backflip over skaters. And I told him on how almost 10 years ago, me and 5 of my college cheerleading teammates were part of an act for our college’s midnight madness and street performer act did a running front flip over us. I showed him the picture and he said at least if the guy fell, it would have been shoes and not knives. I got my pic with him and his autograph.

There we go.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also, in the midst of me trying to talk who I wanted to talk and get out/me being scattered, I left my plastic water bottle and giant program behind....which proved my point why I use an autograph book instead lol. I told my friend at least those two were the least important items I had with me lol.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This thread wins the "most entertaining thread of the season" award. A big thank you :thank: to @appgold and @cheerknithanson :hap10: .
I'm glad people got to attend. I'm pretty sure Jordan Cowan was also there to take videos on ice for those of us who don't live near Leesburg. I will get to see Ilia on May 6 at ITNY'S gala performance, so I'll report back.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm glad people got to attend. I'm pretty sure Jordan Cowan was also there to take videos on ice for those of us who don't live near Leesburg. I will get to see Ilia on May 6 at ITNY'S gala performance, so I'll report back.
I don't think Jordan missed a single number! Well, maybe not the Theater on Ice type ones, but most of them, for sure.

Although not a huge TSL fan, I do listen occasionally, and I had the chance to exchange pleasantries with Dave Lease, who was very polite and friendly during our short exchange.

The whole atmosphere of the night was very friendly, positive, and energized. After the lengthy outro, and the encouragement of the VIPs to head to the meet and greet, the seats were emptying, but for whatever reason Isabeau came out, circled the far half of the rink, and did a triple. Those of us still in our seats applauded wildly. She looked like she was absolutely having pure fun the whole night and was a joy to watch. Her speed and flow are greatly improved this year, imo.

Paz

Rinkside
This was a program of pure joy! It was great to have met cheerknit and other fellow fans. Sitting in VIP Row A was amazing, especially when the guy with the fire batons waved them in our faces & sometimes ate the fire! We may not have laughed so much before during an ice show.

Ilia was great in his two programs. Keegan and Donovan share the Most Charismatic trophy. I was very impressed by Sarah Everhardt’s lightness and soft complete jumps. Future US sr champ? Loved Israel’s Jr dancers/Jr world medalists in their MJ exhibition.

All of the current World medalists in the show did themselves proud. I was delighted to have witnessed this extravaganza. May it return!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for all the reports.

Just saw a video, and Donovan did his "Lucha Libre" exhibition, a tribute to los luchadores of Mexico. (He has two mask exhibitions, so I wasn't sure which one).

Representando el México..... (that is part of what the announcer is saying at the beginning of the music). Always love how Donovan integrates his culture into his skating. :). 🇲🇽