Gotta Do It - US Nationals Rusty Hanger Awards | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Gotta Do It - US Nationals Rusty Hanger Awards

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
equestrianguy said:
Now about the comment made by JonnyCoop of M Weiss trying to play it straight with having the wife.. That was VERY out of line!!!!! I'm sure he will come out of the closet when he is ready..You don't have to do it for him..

Allow me to clarify something. (I've had to do this several times before, so I am quite used to it). I know my comment reads like I implying something about MW's sexual preference -- BUT -- this is my official stance on this:

I do not actually think for ONE minute that MW is what we call a "closet case". I don't imagine it's easy for most straight guys to be involved in figure skating and at some point in his teens he started falling over himself to make sure people knew he wasn't "that way", only he took it to an extreme. However, if you're gonna go out of your way like that, then it seems a bit incongruous to go out there in some of those get-ups. And I don't think my comment is any more out of line then "I'm sure he will come out of the closet when he is ready, you don't have to do it for him" which to my mind goes MORE THAN A LITTLE beyond the mere implication that I stated. :mad:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi all...

I definitely think the GP series contained way more fashion disasters than what we saw on TV from this comp. ITA though on how SHORT so many of the ladies skirts are getting. We get enough crotch shots just by the nature of the moves in the sport. At least for me, I don't care to see even more of them.

I know this is nit picking, but that's what the Rusty Hanger is all about, right?? :)

Did anyone else think that the top of MK's dress (the one shoulder cut) made it look like one boob was bigger or higher than the other?? I suspect that was just an optical illusion - especially re the appearance of one being higher. They are not that big to begin with, so I doubt sagging is a problem for her.

Anyway...

DG

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Kasey said:
And I strongly dislike fleshy cutouts on MEN'S costumes (Naughty boy Matt).

I agree, Michelle's costume doesn't seem to work...the fabric, the texture, even the color. I think "Bolero" (which I am really starting to dislike, by the way), but I think "passion, sexuality"....A deep red would be wonderful....

Kasey

I lurved Matt's costume. I always thought Matt was cute in a nerdy kind of way before, but with his new long hair and THAT costume, plus the raw emotion in his short program (where he should've been in first, but that's another thread) :love: :love: :love: Heh. Wow.

Matt's costume reminded me a bit of Evgeni's Bolero costume....which was a deep red, and had flesh cutouts. (this is when I first noticed Evgeni had grown up. Maybe it's the deep red that does it for me....)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Now that I know I'm not the only Dirty Old Lady...

PrincessLeppard said:
I lurved Matt's costume. I always thought Matt was cute in a nerdy kind of way before, but with his new long hair and THAT costume, plus the raw emotion in his short program (where he should've been in first, but that's another thread) :love: :love: :love: Heh. Wow.
I too think Matt's nerdiness of younger days has turned into HOT...in that geeky sort of way these days. Love the hair, the physique, and all of that. I guess that's why in my fashion critique I personally gave him a bye on those cutouts!!

Now parents of young men everywhere will be as afraid of me as parents of young girls everywhere are afraid of Dick Button.

DG

clairecloutier

Final Flight
You know, everybody's picking on Michael Weiss's tattoo shirt, but I didn't find the shirt nearly as bad as the leather-and-studs bondage collar he wore with it! Geez! I've long suspected that Lisa Weiss runs the show in that relationship, but maybe this confirms it!! :)

Aside from Michael's doggie collar, I actually found most of the costumes this year pretty nice. Sasha's costumes were much better than usual, and Jenny's new white long-program dress was nice, if a bit bland.

I thought Michelle's short-program dress was really nice, and pretty much downright sexy! It definitely showed off her figure to excellent effect. As soon as she came out, I was like, "Okay, here is a real woman in this group of girls."

Unfortunately, I didn't like her long-program dress nearly as well. It wasn't terrible, but it just didn't seem to flow, it almost looked like the gold stuff was weighing it down. Plus there was the skirt problem in the warmup. And I agree that another color choice would have been better. I do like gold on Michelle, but she's had a lot of costumes that color. (My favorite color on Michelle is a true crimson red, like her 1996 Romanza costume and her 2000 (or was it 2001?) long-program costume.)

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
Okay, here goes:

Michael: Michael, oh, Michael. I don't think it was quite as bad as some people were making it out to be, but it WAS pretty bad. :p :p The name is the worst part for me. It does match is music well though. Ah Dick Button talking about Metallica/Led Zepplin made my day. :rofl:

Matt: LOVED the short program costume. From my point of view those are the outfits that men should wear. Here are some links to men's costumes that are my personal favorites:

http://skatecanada.ca/en/news_views/photo_gallery/photo.cfm?IMAGEID=383&comp_id=18

http://www.usfsa.org/event_related_.../events/200405/uschamps/seniormen-fs-pics.htm <-- ONLY EVAN LYSACEK ... The other on this page are pretty bad

http://www.usfsa.org/event_related_details.asp?ri=content/events/200405/uschamps/senmen-sp-pics.htm <-- ONLY MATT SAVOIE

Evan: SP-->Gaudy oh man pretty bad ... LP --> :love:

Johnny: Oh man ... that long costume is horrific ... that program took my breath away but a good costume would have just made it that much better.
http://www.usfsa.org/event_related_.../events/200405/uschamps/seniormen-fs-pics.htm <-- Oh Johnny!
Short program better though.

Tim: Agh that long costume was pprrrrrrrettttttty bad. Very unlike Tim!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
doubleaxelcm said:
Tim: Agh that long costume was pprrrrrrrettttttty bad. Very unlike Tim!

Better than the one he wore last year for the same program, which looked like a pantsuit Katharine Hepburn would have worn circa 1939.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
My Mother thought Mike's shirt was cool."But Mom he even has his name on it!" And she said "That's so none of the other boys will steal it". :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think Weiss has been watching too many Kenneth Anger films. Or is his passion for gay iconography being dictated on the subconscious level? Or maybe Lisa is trying to tell him something.

This thread is hilarious. You all made my day. Thanks.

:laugh:

Hikaru

Final Flight
eyria said:
Unfortunately, I didn't like her long-program dress nearly as well. It wasn't terrible, but it just didn't seem to flow, it almost looked like the gold stuff was weighing it down. Plus there was the skirt problem in the warmup. And I agree that another color choice would have been better. I do like gold on Michelle, but she's had a lot of costumes that color. (My favorite color on Michelle is a true crimson red, like her 1996 Romanza costume and her 2000 (or was it 2001?) long-program costume.)

I was playing with the computer and here's one of the colors I had pictured Michelle for Bolero:

michelle_my_color.jpg.png

Now, about the men, I don't have anything against Evan, since I enjoy watching him skate, but the costume is just like Tim's an american in paris outfit. I know, they both skated to Gene Kelly, but you can come up with different outfits. It seems as though if Frank Carrol made just too many outfits for Tim and he went to Evan, "OK we cannot put them to waste, so you're skating singin' in the rain". Just nitpicking about this, but I'm sure you can come up with something different than a white shirt, a vest and a tie for this type of music ;)

Last edited:

Jhar55

Medalist
Don't like Mike's tatoo shirt, saw it at Skate America. Rena's dress is a bit too short and needs to lose the thong look. I agree pink is not a good color for Sasha maybe if it had been a little darker pink. Johnny seems to wear the same style for all his costumes. And last Michelle looks like the took a part of grannys sofa fabric and made it into a dress.

Doggygirl, so that's what was bothering me, on a subliminal, unconscious level, with Michelle's dress.

Did Lydia Manon have a costume malfunction?

About short skirts, the biggest sports story of the week was, "Vikings star Randy Moss pretend-moons the fans at a football game!" Ice skating should cash in on the publicity. We moon you with every spiral.

Piel said:
"That's so none of the other boys will steal it".
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Not to worry, Mikey.

Mathman

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Am I the only one who actually likes Mike's LP costume? Although, I could do without all the wife/kids stuff on it. I mean, I have six cats, but I don't go around wearing their names on my clothes. :sheesh:

I loved Sasha's pink costume. Much better than the one at Campbells (I didn't see Marshalls). And red is a good color on Michelle, IMO. I also liked Kimmie's LP costume.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
childfreegirl said:
Am I the only one who actually likes Mike's LP costume? Although, I could do without all the wife/kids stuff on it. I mean, I have six cats, but I don't go around wearing their names on my clothes. :sheesh:

I don't mind this costume. It fits his personality and the music. The dog collar's a bit too much - it was better without it.

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
Yeah I think everybody is being a bit too hard on Mike for this one. He was just having fun. He will probably retire soon anyways.

I thought Kimmie Meissner's lp dress was nice too, I thought. It fit the program and that rich light blue just adds to her look of lightness and innocence on the ice.

As for a previous poster's comment of Evan's long program outfit being too much like Tim's --> If it ain't broke don't fix it.

S

SkateFan4Life

Doggygirl said:
I'm pleased to say that I haven't seen THAT many costumes that are down right horrible. In terms of an "all event award" I still say Michael's tattoo thingy takes the cake so far. What REALLY scared me was Dick's favorable comment which made me think DICK might just go out and get one himself. YIKES!! Wish I could remember Dick's exact remark, but I'll write it down when I watch re-runs tomorrow.DG

Michael Weiss's "tattoo shirt"? :rofl: Totally ridiculous, IMHO.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
First of all, JohnnyCoop and Jhar: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Secondly, I realize that I'm in the minority, but I actually liked Michelle's LP dress (although that granny sofa fabric comment was :rofl: :rofl: ). I am sick of seeing her in the same Vera Wang dress in different colors (her SP dress looks just like last year's LP outfit, which looks like at least 2 others she's worn in recent years only the location of the gold belt moves up and down depending on the dress). I thought this was a very nice change of pace.

I agree with the comment that the dresses appear to be getting skimpier. In fact, the same thought crossed my mind at some point during the competition.

To Johnny Weir: It's not Halloween. You're frightening the children with that monstrosity.

I loved Garrett and Katy's costumes, especially the shiny thing in her hair.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I noticed that skirt problem on Michelle too. One thing about it though, her undies covered her backside. Funny thing though, I was thinking when I was watching, Was I remembering wrong in my old age? because it sure seemed to me that costumes were getting skimpier. Next thing you know they'll all be skating nude in Vegas! :sheesh: