GP Meeting 6/30 postponed to Mid-July | Page 2 | Golden Skate

GP Meeting 6/30 postponed to Mid-July

Status
Not open for further replies.

icetug

Medalist
Taipei hosted in 2018, but not sure if that would be a great move for the ISU because of the geopolitical situation with China and Taiwan
China is probably not taking part in GP anyway. But I see another problem: there is a huge number of new covid cases in Taiwan. They managed to keep a very low level of infections all the time since the start of the pandemic, and now, for the last two month, they have had over 40,000 new cases daily. This may be the reason why they did not declare to organize a GP event.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
China is probably not taking part in GP anyway. But I see another problem: there is a huge number of new covid cases in Taiwan. They managed to keep a very low level of infections all the time since the start of the pandemic, and now, for the last two month, they have had over 40,000 new cases daily. This may be the reason why they did not declare to organize a GP event.
As a local Taiwanese, yes, it's true that in the past 2 months the cases were high, but at the moment it's at a down-going trend for the confirmed cases. Besides, the key may not be in the new cases, but more about the quaruantine regulation for entering into the island (right now it's at least a 3-day required quaruantine, plus a 4-day self-monitoring, ideally with minimal mobility). With the decreasing number in the confirmed cases, I think the locals are also looking forward to the elimination of quaruantine regulation for border control. It's just pretty difficult to predict when that's going to happen, though.

So, my guess of no up-take of the GP event is more about the scheduling for the venue: the only possible venue, the Taipei Arena, is simply out of booking possibility during that specific week of the original COC. Also, it's probably not enough time for the CT-skating federation to organize the event in a short notice.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Did they at least set the date for announcement of the next announcement? Mid-July seems sort of vague. I am surprised Taiwan didn’t take it, tbh.

McBibus

On the Ice
No Russian skaters
Risk of even more traveling limitations for skaters and audience due to pandemy/war
The stupid organization that limits partecipation of the best available skaters to 2 out of 6 stages really do pays off when the field is thinned out

I imagine there are lot of request to host and invest money :rolleye:

p.s. does "thinned out" make sense in english?

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I heard from a couple of contacts on the down low of 2 countries, both within Europe, who'd be willing to host it but still have to find/convince the venue and are in talks.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I heard from a couple of contacts on the down low of 2 countries, both within Europe, who'd be willing to host it but still have to find/convince the venue and are in talks.
Gee, if only they knew for maybe a few months or so that there will be a Grand Prix this year… seriously, why the last minute efforts and the whole, if all else fails, there is Estonia, again?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
The Cup of China is the one they are still looking to replace. Finland is covering for Russia this season.
Hence, they say 5 stages only. Which is kinda weird in terms of who gets into final, because can they ensure everyone gets 2 kicks at the can? Or is it going to be 5 in the final?

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Hence, they say 5 stages only. Which is kinda weird in terms of who gets into final, because can they ensure everyone gets 2 kicks at the can? Or is it going to be 5 in the final?
In a regular GP series there are 6 seeded skaters.
So 1st 2nd and 3rd seed would usually never meet within the events.
With 5 events, two of the top 3 seeds would have to meet an event - which might be unfair on the seed that gets an escape (probably first seed).

However, I'm pretty sure there will be 6 GP events still. Or at least hoping

Amei

Record Breaker
I wouldn't trust a Russian source on this. It's in their best interest to discredit the real Grand Prix, to trump up hype for their mock GP.

Well they did participate in the congress so they would have details on the situation and per another post: the ISU wouldn't postpone assignments for no reason, they have known they were going to need 2 new hosting locations for months, they postponed it roughly a couple of weeks now maybe thats to finalize a location or maybe its to iron out new qualifying rules for a 5 event GP instead of 6.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I wouldn't trust a Russian source on this. It's in their best interest to discredit the real Grand Prix, to trump up hype for their mock GP.
There is nothing mock about Russian GP. It’s a real competition staffed with skaters who can only compete internally. The pairs will be stronger than the international series, the rest—at least au par or a bit weaker. Objectively, Russians have strong skaters, and enough of them to create competitive environment with results that are not a given. There will be plenty to watch on both circuits, and Russians can stop complaining they don’t have enough spots & nobody would be shortchanged.

Last edited:

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
In a regular GP series there are 6 seeded skaters.
So 1st 2nd and 3rd seed would usually never meet within the events.
With 5 events, two of the top 3 seeds would have to meet an event - which might be unfair on the seed that gets an escape (probably first seed).

However, I'm pretty sure there will be 6 GP events still. Or at least hoping
Aren't the seeded skaters 1-3, and 4-6, from Worlds? If so, this is a non issue because Worlds #3 was Alysa, and she's retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.