Grand Prix Speculation 2015-2016 | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Speculation 2015-2016

Celine

On the Ice
I think it'll be super interesting to see where all the 'wild cards' compete. By 'wild cards' I mean some top competitors (world medalists) who for whatever reason did not go into this upcoming season as 'seeded' such as V/T in Pairs, Bobrova/Sol in Dance and Patrick Chan in Men's.

It would be exciting, though kind of curious for Skate Canada for instance to put both Chan and Nam in the same event. They're usually trying to be as strategic as possible about getting their skaters into the final.

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
I have a feeling that Ashley will be at SA, because the home crowd adored her performance at Nationals last year! Also very interested to see who the remaining spots in the pool go to, after the seeded skaters, WR and host picks are chosen. I'd love to see Kuchvalska at at least one event, and Fournier-Beaudry/Sorenson as well!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It is not just a feeling. The US typically has the national champions at SKAM.

So expect

Ashley but not Gracie or Rika Hongo, since they are in the same seeding group
Jason, but not Nam Nguyen or Misha Ge, since they are in the same seeding group
Chock & Bates, but not Weaver & Poje or Papadakis & Cizeron, since they are in the same seeding group

and Scimeca & Knierim, who finished seventh at Worlds, and who would normally be unseeded. However, Pang & Tong retired, making S&K the sixth seed. Consequently, the 4th and 5th seeds will not be at Skam. Right now, that would be Kavaguti& Smirnov and Tarasova & Morosov.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nah, Scimeca/Knierim will get SA as the host pick and hopefully not have to do back to back GP's.

Skate Canada would probably LIKE to get Scimeca/Knierim because they are the lowest-ranked seed. It all depends on the order of the draw for the 4-6 seeds. If Canada gets first pick, S/K could wind up doing back-to-back events whether they like it or not.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Hi Krunchii,

Smile. I'm going to Skate Canada for this exact reason. It's closer to the Pacific Northwest than Skate America. But the great thing about that is that the border states & provinces get lots of events--as those states have the chance to snag audience members from both countries. Also I love seeing more international skaters, since I often see the Americans at nationals and on television. So Skate Canada is fabulous!

NaVi

Medalist
Mihail Sharov took photos of Maria Sotskova's new SP and someone asked him if she was moving up to seniors and he said no. A little bummed as I find her extremely telegenic.

https://instagram.com/p/3JFieJx9Q5/

lobkolyubov
Michael, Mary goes into adults?
mihail_sharov
lobkolyubov not.
lobkolyubov
mihail_sharov thanks for the answer!) is very very cool!), and I envy you!)) 😊

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
At least the Grand Prix selections are not growing inside your belly constantly kicking you, hahaha (due date is the same as the GP selections).

Sorry (not really) for the babyjacking in this forum. :laugh: :hijacked:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
At least the Grand Prix selections are not growing inside your belly constantly kicking you, hahaha (due date is the same as the GP selections).

Sorry (not really) for the babyjacking in this forum. :laugh: :hijacked:

Maybe we can play a game.

you can write the names of the grand prixs on your belly, tell the baby a skater name, and the next kick is the kids prediction to where that skater will be assigned. Let's see how accurate baby can be.

b-man

Final Flight
Does anyone know if Gao is still active. She got 2 GP slots last year, finished 9th and 9th. I haven't seen any retirement announcement. If she is still active, I would expect her to get one, or possibely no assignment, but not two.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gao is 85th on the ISU WR list and 67th on the SB list. With those rankings, she isn't going to get any GP invitations or a host pick. IMO she is probably intending to focus on her college career this season.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
But Jeremy Abbott is there, so he filled out all those forms for next season...

Also Razzano is also still listed but he has announced his retirement.

I am wondering if it is more automatic unless told by the skaters they will not be around. Or the men's and women's lists are maintained by different people (Sam Cesario is not listed). Who knows.

But in the end I suspect Jeremy will be there. I am expecting it at this point. I think his going to his 10th US Nationals is likely worth it, but i almost wish he would only do that and skip the Grand Prix. He has had a respectable Grand Prix career already. I just hope whatever choice he makes he finds happiness in it, if nothing else he deserves that.