Great Comebacks to the World Stage | Golden Skate

Great Comebacks to the World Stage

Lambari

Final Flight
Several skaters have made incredible comebacks after missing most of their competitive season be it because of choice or injuries. I'm making this thread in order to celebrate these personal journeys. I'm including those who missed most of their season and/or did only lower ranked competitions prior to their first major one, in no particular order.

Sui/Han - 4CC/Worlds 2017 and 4CC/Worlds 2019

Their whole history of returns could be a book.
Due to Sui's recurrent injuries on her feet, she required surgery after the 2015-2016 season and they had to withdraw from their GP assignments for her recovery. Nevertheless they came back at 4CC winning the gold and claiming their first World title a month later!

At the Pyeongchang Olympics, they lost the gold by less of a point. Sui had another injury one week before this event which even though affected their practice schedule was otherwise manageable. It was discovered after that it evolved into a stress fracture and they had to withdraw from Worlds 2018. During this past season they once again had to withdraw from their GPs due to Sui's feet. They came back at 4CC which they won and because she had a twisted lower back during training they lost 10 days of the preparation leading to Worlds. However, they still claimed their 2nd World title with a spectacular WR at the free skate!

Yuzuru Hanyu - Pyeongchang Olympics and Worlds 2019

After a ligament and bone injury on his ankle in november that made him withdraw from the rest of the season, he had to face the Olympics as the reigning Olympic champion without any warm up competition, still not fully recovered, the pressure of a whole country behind him and a sea of worldwide hungry media. He had to settle for a lesser layout with almost no margin for error since he was only landing triples for the last three weeks, quads for two weeks, couldn't land the 4Lz and landed his first 4Lo since the injury just days before the event. He then succeded as the first repeat Olympic champion in mens after 66 years. His outpouring of emotion after his feat will remain as one of the greatest Olympic moments. Some say it was miraculous, I'd say it was created out of sheer mental fortitude.
He reinjured the same ankle last november, missed the rest of the season and had to comeback at a home Worlds without any warm up competition once again. While knowing at the free skate that he was the last chance of a medal for Japan he claimed silver.

Yuna Kim - Worlds 2013 and Sochi Olympics

Yuna made her comeback at Worlds after deciding to sit out the GP season. She had only competed prior to the event at a minor competition in order to score the TES minimum and at the Korean nationals to earn the sport. She won her second World title after two clean skates and at the time the biggest score gap between gold and silver at Worlds since the IJS was estabilished. Regardless of the scores she proved she was the golden standard even almost 4 years after Vancouver. The next season she had another incredible comeback at the Sochi Olympics, the pressure of a whole country behind her, having done only a minor competition and nationals once again. These exemplify her incredible mental fortitude and dominance within the sport.

Boyang Jin - 4CC 2018/Pyeongchang Olympics

During 2017–2018 Boyang withdrew from the GPF and Chinese nationals because he sprained both of his ankles. He came back at 4CC winning the competition with a clean short program, the first time he surprassed the 100-mark at this segment, and together with a practically clean 4 quad free skate surprassed the 300-mark total once again. A month later he had a great showing at his first Olympics placing 4th, the highest of any chinese men ever. It's important to remember Boyang since I've hardly seen his comeback mentioned just like most don't recognize his significant improvement in components. Hopefully this weird phenomenon only happens on the western side of the internet. Let's remember the pioneer of the quad revolution!

Evgenia Medvedeva Euros 2018/Pyeongchang Olympics

Because of a stress fracture on her foot she had to withdraw from GPF and Russian Nationals. Made her comeback at Euros with two almost clean programs winning silver. She then skated clean at her first Olympics claiming silver! After 2 undefeated seasons and 2 World titles, seeing Alina's rise through the ranks and experiencing a setback out of her control during the Olympic season Evgenia still delivered at the biggest stage. Seeing her cry out of relief after her free skate shows everything about her journey.

What are your thoughts about comebacks like these? These examples are all fairly recent so please comment about other incredible comebacks you remember. Especially the ones that marked your time as a figure skating fan.

1904sk8

On the Ice
Papadakis/Cizeron Euros/Worlds 2016
They missed the whole GP series because Gabi suffered a severe concussion in August 2015 and she was off the ice for months. They won their second consecutive Euro title at their first international event of the season. Then they skated arguably one of the best programs in history during their FD at worlds breaking the world record set at the 2014 olympics by D/W. They won their second consecutive world title, the first time anyone had won back-to-back in nearly 10 years, at the ages of 20/21. All the while Gabi was still suffering concussion symptoms through out the whole season making them have to pull out of their post-worlds tour, but they managed to push through to reclaim all their major titles.

Chock/Bates 4CC/Worlds 2019
After a fall at the olympics and Madison having surgery on her foot most people thought that they would retire. Instead they moved training camps to Montreal and began working for the 2018-2019 season once Madison was recovered. They missed the whole Grand Prix circuit and only performing their programs for the first time at a minor international just weeks before 4CC and US nationals. They came out looking stronger than ever before. At their first major international event of the season where H/D were thought to be a shoe-in for gold they performed two amazing programs and become 4CC champions for the first time in their career.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Plushy famously came back after 3.5 years of not competing and not only won Nats and Euros, but also almost won the Olympics! That he even got a silver is pretty impressive. :)

Then he was able to come back again for Sochi. Which goes to show how far ahead he was technically at the time.

Elena B also had quite a comeback after her head injury with her new partner Anton S. She couldn't even talk or walk when she woke up in hospital, but eventually made it to to 2 Olympics and won silver and (a rather controversial) gold. I still think Elena and Anton could have won fair and square, but the French judge confessed she was pressured into ranking them first so what are you going to do?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The 1994 Olympics was the comeback event of all comeback events. Every event had a non-reigning Olympic champion: Boitano (1988), Witt (1984 & 1988), Gordeeva and Grinkov (1988), Torvill and Dean (1984). Probably the men's event was most disappointing, because Boitano, Petrenko (1992 OGM), or Browning were all capable of beating the programs that won medals.

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
The 1994 Olympics was the comeback event of all comeback events. Every event had a non-reigning Olympic champion: Boitano (1988), Witt (1984 & 1988), Gordeeva and Grinkov (1988), Torvill and Dean (1984). Probably the men's event was most disappointing, because Boitano, Petrenko (1992 OGM), or Browning were all capable of beating the programs that won medals.

True. I recently listened to Gordeeva’s interview, where she said they all approached the federation together for the comeback.

rain

Record Breaker

These all come to mind.

Also:

Yu-Na Kim 2014 Olympics
Virtue and Moir 2017, then 2018 Olympics
Plushenko 2010 Olympics

Some of those already mentioned like Sui/Han (a personal favourite of mine), Chock/Bates, Papadakis/Cizeron, Hanyu, don't really count to my mind, since they never really went anywhere. They really just had to sit out a few competitions due to injury. That's why I wouldn't even include Kaetlyn Osmond on this list, though I think she missed two complete seasons. Ditto with Tuktamysheva. Or maybe I'm just putting the comebacks into two separate categories, lol. In which case I would also add Carolina Kostner to this second list.

Lambari

Final Flight
These all come to mind.

Also:

Yu-Na Kim 2014 Olympics
Virtue and Moir 2017, then 2018 Olympics
Plushenko 2010 Olympics
Some of those already mentioned like Sui/Han (a personal favourite of mine), Chock/Bates, Papadakis/Cizeron, Hanyu, don't really count to my mind, since they never really went anywhere. They really just had to sit out a few competitions due to injury. That's why I wouldn't even include Kaetlyn Osmond on this list, though I think she missed two complete seasons. Ditto with Tuktamysheva. Or maybe I'm just putting the comebacks into two separate categories, lol. In which case I would also add Carolina Kostner to this second list.

I only counted those who had some time off competing and had a major competition like 4CC, Euros, Worlds or Olympics as the first one coming back. Only doing none or just minor competitions or nationals prior to their return. V/M for example competed a full season at 2016-2017 before coming to 4CC/Worlds. But you can make your own criteria too! Sitting out a few seasons and coming back to the GP is also incredible.

gkelly

Record Breaker
In many cases it would be necessary to compete at their Nationals first before getting international assignments.

And in some cases, for skaters from GP host federations, an invitation to the GP before championships later in the season.

This event was beyond disappointing. It poured cold water on the whole notion of washed-up former champions coming back for a last hurrah. Boitano and Witt and even Torvill & Dean were pale shadows of themselves. Gordeeva & Grinkov won for nostalgia's sake, but were they really better than Mishkutoanok and Dmetriev, or even Brasseur and Eisler?

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Off the top of my head... Daisuke Takahashi after his devastating knee injury?
I can't wait to see what he has to offer this coming season.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
This event was beyond disappointing. It poured cold water on the whole notion of washed-up former champions coming back for a last hurrah. Boitano and Witt and even Torvill & Dean were pale shadows of themselves. Gordeeva & Grinkov won for nostalgia's sake, but were they really better than Mishkutoanok and Dmetriev, or even Brasseur and Eisler?

Boitano was still really good in 1994, maybe off his peak in 1988 but he could have won again given how everyone ended up performing.

For me, G&G beating M&D was the most controversial result I've seen in skating. G&G just did not attempt anywhere near the difficulty of the other top teams, and weren't perfectly clean in what the did attempt.

The other two events were also kind of disappointing.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm going to go with Rudy's comeback at Nationals in 1996. He had been written off by everyone after he and Kristi split and for him to come back as a solo skater and win Nationals was HUGE.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Todd Eldredge's 1994/1995 season (after 3 years of disappointments - back injury, loss of confidence (?), almost quitting the sport circa 1993, being written off by some, coming down with the flu & a very high fever @ 1994 US Nationals & thereby missing the chance of making the US Olympic/World team for that year - he still competed, finished 4th @ those Nationals, but there were only 2 spots) - winning his 3rd US title in 1995, winning silver @ Worlds ...

3 more US titles after that (totaling 6), World title in 1996, total of 6 World medals (1997 - silver, 1998 silver, 2001 - bronze) :cheer:

Rossig

On the Ice
even Torvill & Dean were pale shadows of themselves.

Did you see their Rhumba OD? It's masterpiece, which till today is considered by many the best OD of all time. So I would argue with the statement they were pale shadows of themselves. And their FD was maybe not a masterpiece, but still it was much better in terms of difficulty and execution than FDs of two Russian teams which were ahead of them.

rugbyfan

On the Ice
I would say Virtue and Moir in 2011 were a great comeback even if they didn't win gold. Even getting the Bronze medal in 2009 might be considered a great come-back. I am sometimes surprised how little Virtue's surgery is mentioned in their narrative. I don't know if Irina Slutskaya in 2005 fits your criteria since she actually competed the whole season but it was after a lengthy stay in hospital. She was amazing.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I'm going to go with Rudy's comeback at Nationals in 1996. He had been written off by everyone after he and Kristi split and for him to come back as a solo skater and win Nationals was HUGE.

And then the skate in itself...whenever I rewatch this I get all emotional. It's really very good. He even got a Worlds medal that year.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
In his first and only Worlds as a singles skater :love:

Elaine Zayak retired from skating in 1984, but came back in 1994 to place 4th at US Nationals!

Deanna Stellato ceased to compete in singles in 2001 due to injury. In 2016 she returned to skating and formed a pair team with Nathan Bartholomay. They are two time US bronze medalists, and medalled in 3 challenger series.

Most amazing Zoe Jones, two time British champion (200-2001) in ladies singles returned to competition in pairs in 2016 with Christopher Boyadji. They are 3 time British champions, and most recently won the silver at the 2019 Ice Mall competition.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Plushy famously came back after 3.5 years of not competing and not only won Nats and Euros, but also almost won the Olympics! That he even got a silver is pretty impressive. :)

Then he was able to come back again for Sochi. Which goes to show how far ahead he was technically at the time.

Elena B also had quite a comeback after her head injury with her new partner Anton S. She couldn't even talk or walk when she woke up in hospital, but eventually made it to to 2 Olympics and won silver and (a rather controversial) gold. I still think Elena and Anton could have won fair and square, but the French judge confessed she was pressured into ranking them first so what are you going to do?

I think it was a great way to turn a big lemon into lemonade. It was great that skating was still popular so that these two had 4 years with SOI. I was thrilled about the double gold because Sale and Pelletier were perfect and their perfect was absolutely gold medal worthy. Alena and Anton remain one of my favorite all time pairs and esp Russian pairs. Elena an had an incredible second act after injury. I call it maraculous. Those huge blue eyes that went through a lot to skate with Anton, one of the best male skaters doing pairs in history imo. So expressive! He was charming and she was beautiful and doe like. He brought her back to life. I think they will always love each other.

Ella5555

On the Ice
Thank you for mentioning this performance. I just rewatched it after many years. What an incredibly emotional program that holds up even after all this time. I think the standing ovation was even more intense than what Yuzu received at Worlds this year (except for the Pooh Bears, of course).