Great interview with Aljona Savchenko | Golden Skate

Great interview with Aljona Savchenko

lyndichee

Medalist
In making them mentally strong. If they are strong, anything can happen. I have watched many videos. They always skated good, but something was missing. Their technique is good, but they had problems with jumping. We'll do our best to fix that. They need to find the right exercises for their bodies and improve their skating skills. Also, they love each other, as they are a married couple. They need to show that more. All this will make them more powerful and more enjoyable for people to watch.

100% agree with Aliona that something is missing and they definitely don't play on their strength as a couple and need to improve their skating skills.

I am so excited to see the results of this partnership.

perspicuosity

Rinkside
All these relationships seem so healthy and balanced -- between A&B, A&B and their coaches, etc. etc. There seems to be a lot of flexibility and willingness to work together. I hope it's as good as it looks!

Sveta

On the Ice
Thanks for the interview, very good one. I am very excited to see Aljona working as a coach, even if it's sort of part-time for now. Think she has all qualities to become a great coach in the future when she would have more time to focus on it on 100%. She is experienced, knows what it takes to win, definitely good technician, has a taste for music and choreography and of course dearly love skating. There are not may pairs in the world as well pairs' coaches so it would be great if Aljona decides to stay in the field as a coach. I wish Aljena all the best and hoping to see her as a world-class coach one the day! :agree:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"I like to share my knowledge with skaters who are already there, who have potential, and who I feel I can help. At worlds, Alexa and Chris skated really bad. Alexa came back crying to the locker room as I was putting on my makeup. She was so sad and distressed. I wanted to tell her that they were good, that she shouldn't be so upset. In our sport, there are ups and downs, but life keeps going always. I felt it was not the best time to tell her, so after the exhibition I went to them and I said, "You guys are so good, don't give up!" Then she told me, "Yesterday, I dreamt that you were coaching us." http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/05/17/276810168

So Alexa dreamed the whole thing up! LOL.

And then, Bruno told Aljona that he wanted some time to rest .... and the rest is history. I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes of this change. The only thing that worries me a little is that she wants Alexa and Chris to work with all their coaches, their team members ... but they're all going to be in different places. Although, going between France and Germany, it's less distance than, say, going between Chicago and Colorado would be. But it seems to me that the emotional stability of that team, with Alexander Koenig, and Jean-Francois, was something that created the condition for Aljona and Bruno to grow, and be serene.

OTOH, it's very possible that what Alexa and Chris need at this point is other eyes, others' visions for their skating.

One of the things I'm going to miss about Ice Network not being there is Jean-Christophe Berlot's articles and interviews. He has such a holistic, circular way of writing. It gives his stories, also, a rather dreamlike quality. Unlike so many of the writers, where the focus is on a straightforward presentation (or persuasion).

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Savchenko: Oh yes! First, there are so many good skaters in the U.S. Alexa and Chris were excellent; they have learned great technique from Dalilah. http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/05/17/276810168

I got a kick out of this .... since so many GS'ers are so negative and dismissive of US skaters.

noskates

Record Breaker
OTOH, it's very possible that what Alexa and Chris need at this point is other eyes, others' visions for their skating.

I totally agree with this. I think sometimes you get too close to a coach and the objectivity is lost somewhere. A fresh outlook, different styles, concentrate on different aspects can only be good. Looking forward to seeing Alexa and Chris this year.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
She is SUCH a sweet person! And this is such a good interview, thank you for posting it!

She has a healthy approach to coaching. Alexa and Chris are awesome people and I enjoy watching them skate even on their off days, just knowing the love they have for each other and the sport. I really can't wait to see what someone with the level of passion for skating that Aliona has will bring to them to enhance their game.

I actually had no idea it was Bruno who requested they take the season off and focus on other stuff, and had no idea he was having a baby!

Also (she smiles), I would like to have a baby. It's not there, but it's in the plan. The next generation needs to come, too!

TEAM BABIES FOR EVERYONE