Grim look at the future of skating on US TV (Article) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Grim look at the future of skating on US TV (Article)

krenseby

Final Flight
re:

The reason skating has declined in sponsorship and viewing is because skating has been turned into a less than serious sport with pseudo competitions like Marshall's and cheesy musical/skating shows. When skating was about serious head to head competition only, and when it wasn't OVEREXPOSED, there were plenty of sponsors and network coverage. The other issue is charisma. Until we have a skater with the charisma of a Michelle, Peggy, Katarina, or Dorothy, there won't be significant national interest. It is also still very much a woman's sport, which can be a death sentence where the major networks are concerned. Apart from the Olympic skating competitions, skating isn't viewed as a serious sport by the general public, especially men. Men make most of the decisions regarding tlelevision programing.

Why not cut out the pseudo-competitions and turn them into exhibitions?

The pro competitions that remain should use a serious judging system. Ice Wars so far has pathetic judging. Why have a 10 point system when no one gets anything less than 9.4? When the score range from 9.6 to 9.9, it seems like there's no real evaluation of the differences in performances. Therefore, the scores seem to be there just for decoration. How can someone respect judging where where terrible skating still gets 9.6 point and much better performances only score .2 points better? It's ridiculous.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Also ABC/ESPN does little to promote these competitions. Where are the commercials boosting the new talent or the current top skaters? ABC could also promote these competitions by interviewing skaters on GMA.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Tells me they probably don't care enough about skating to heavily promote it. They are probably waiting (with BB) for the contract to run out so they can drop that burden like a hot potato.

lisadotdash

Rinkside
Advertising

For as long as I can remember their was never good advertisement for figureskating events. Back in the mid-ninties the only time I saw figure skating was when I was channel surfing and just happen to see it. And it is not just enough to show when the next compition will be aired at the end of the show. I somehow always forgot the time or if it was comming on abc or espn.

This isn't what you meant but it reminded me of that god-awful bucket of red paint EVERY commercial. over and over and over. That would make someone switch the channel for good. RED RED RED. same song. I know they're paying for it, but Geez.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Thank God for You Tube this season. There's lots ofbeautiful lady skaters 18 and over for the guys to look at and I don't mind looking at all..... but that unitard thing has got to go.

I guess this is just a personal thing, but I find the pants / unitard FAR MORE SEXY then the dress. So I like it, well both. But Ira in that pink belt 05, Sarah M at Olys LP, Fumie in her purple top and black pants AND best for last her 05 black lace!!!! gerr baby gerr gerr:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: Those to me (I understand other thoughts and opinions) a 37 year old man still as girl crazy as a 19 year old, absolutely LOVE those outfits. That is also a good blend of MORE "athletic" looking apparel. So I for one love the "panted" ladies. :love:

Have to put my vote out for best outfit to the french dance D&S again.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I really think a Beer vendor sponsorship with commercials that show FS in a "good way" wouldn't hurt:agree:

I know why they..... But never the less there are some audience out there for it. I for one have never dated a girl for more then a week:laugh: - since 18 - that didn't drink / like beer, it's a prereq.:laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
You know, from looking at Olympic pictures, the ladies in pairs/dance tend to be more attractive than the singles competitors. :love: But I just CANNOT pull myself to watch either discipline. I just find them so BOOORING. As for the men, why I don't care for them should be self-explanatory by now.

So ladies I'll watch. As for pairs and dance I think I'll stick to looking at the nice HQ pics that the folks over at the picture forums supply. :love: :love:

Funny. Most of my gay friends, if they watch figure skating, they only watch the Ladies. What does that tell you?:unsure:

Joe

Linny

Final Flight
counter programming to be gone

At some point, the whole concept of time slots and counter programming will disappear. DVR technology is becoming more and more common. People no longer watch programs when it suits the broadcasters to show them, they watch the programs when it's convenient for their own lives. And the crapola of showing two marvelous programs opposite each other to force people to choose - it will become a thing of the past.

Then, it's a matter of people seeking out the programs they desire, and instead of whatever the Nielson ratings are attempting to do now, they'll simply have families who permit the recording patterns of their DVR devices to be saved and used for ratings.... and they'll have a heck of a lot more data than they do now with how ever many Nielson families there are. Accurate data.

Can't wait for the broadcast industry to adjust. When you think about the major changes that have come about with the introduction of ability for people to get many broadcast choices instead of just 3 network stations.. and now you can have programs delivered through the Internet... little by little as technology becomes more and more sophisticated (and available), it will change things for the better. If you love figure skating (or bowling or whatever), you'll be able to see it. Period.

Linny

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Funny. Most of my gay friends, if they watch figure skating, they only watch the Ladies. What does that tell you?:unsure:

Joe

Tells me that guys of the homosexual nature are just of "disturbed" by guys acting like Richard Simmons on Ice as I am. There is a point where it just becomes a joke. Evan save us! Brian J was so close, if it wasn't for that "cape thing" he would have had a very masculine looking routine. Boys just watch Kurt's Cowboy gig. :agree: Separating the men from the "clownish."

Also I believe a majority of gay guys "worship ladies" (much like I do). Ladies just rule IMO. Women are just the most beautiful view possible on this earth, and athletes are .... when pretty there is nothing more gorgeous IMO.

RubyNV

Rinkside
It has long been clear that men like to watch other men playing sports.
I find this fascination with men watching other men play high body contact sports such as football more than a little odd!!!
This ties in with the fact that attempts to get females to purchase "skin mags" featuring barely-clothed males did not work. It was reported that the sales of these magazines was mostly to men!! Women were buying the magazines featuring female fashion models instead.

Ruby NV

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
Oh, for Pete's sake, if ESPN continues to show those obnoxious EATING contests, POLE-THROWING contests, ad naseum other ridiculous competitions, why can't they also continue to show figure skating? Along with billiards, bowling, soccer, polo, rollerblading, hotdog skiing, swimming, diving, poker, dominoes, curling, bodybuilding, - aaggggghhh!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Oh but they may be making money off of those :yes: Even though I don't normally watch them it's nice to see something other than basketball/football/baseball on TV.

gsrossano

Final Flight
Oh but they may be making money off of those :yes: Even though I don't normally watch them it's nice to see something other than basketball/football/baseball on TV.

One reason why they make money off those things is that the production costs are minimal, so even with a modest number of viewers and reduced advertising rates, a profit can still be made.

Skating, however has run amok in the last 20 years. When I first started going to Nationals, ABC covered the event with four cameras in the arena. Now it's like 20. frequently with two or three next to each other, plus all the mobile camera in your face guys, and the remote controlled "Borg" camera that follows the skater around the ice. Then instead of one production trailer out back, its two or three. And an army of worker bees, were a simple swarm used to be enough. Paying for all that stuff then requires much higher advertising rates and much larger viewership to cover the cost. It's their own darn fault if they are losing money on the broadcasts. But the fans will suffer in the end, when there is no broadcast to watch.

(And then there is the fact all those cameras end up killing many of the best seats in the house, and they still get in the way of a large number of the highest paying customers!)

Last edited: