GS Posters Reunion Thread | Page 2 | Golden Skate

GS Posters Reunion Thread

Kasey

Medalist
You know what? This board has lost posters, and will continue to do so when there are SOME posters who are allowed to make snotty personal comments about another poster. When trolls are allowed to continue to make bash threads about specific skaters over and over again. When younger posters are discouraged from posting because some snotwads can't get their heads out of their butts and realize there are things that are all in FUN, and if you MUST make a nasty comment like "Obviously this was posted by a child, and doesn't require comment", WHO is the a$$ here? Not the younger poster who started what YOU think is an asinine thread, but YOU, Ms. Maturity, for responding in such a condescending manner.

There are a lot of uptight people, and then trolls allowed to run free and PERSONALLY insult other posters. Yeah, it's such a joy coming here these days.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
That is exactly what it needs to become, instead of decline - less stuffy and more fun!

Unbutton and loosen up the laces, your not on the ice with them attitude, just there to enjoy. It almost becomes a "Treky kind of thing" "secret talk" and "pass codes," veering from what is tangible. The ability to connect on ALL levels!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Correction: I thought this post was for me and I was wrong. We have made up, anyway I hope she feels the same way. I'm ok with it. Therefore, I could see no reason to leave it in here. If the moderators wish to, they could just delete the whole thing here.

Last edited:
Joesitz said:
The Board will lose avid sports fans. Nothing wrong with it becoming a 'fun' thing.
I hope it doesn't go that way, Joe. I just Googled "fun thing." I got 193,000,000 "fun things" on the web.

But there are not many sites that I can go to and read a post like Hockeyfan's on the thread about the selection of music from Bach and Wagner in Jeff Buttle's Glenn Gould LP. Or a post by GKelly on an upcoming rule change in the criteria for a level four FCCo spin.

(Which is not to say that we can't wax eloquent about how pretty our favorite skater is :yes: )

MM :)

BTW, on the subject of, why does Golden Skate "allow" snarky trolls to come on board and say mean bashy things, the GS moderators and administrative staff are constantly discussing and debating (sometimes heatedly, LOL) every complaint that we receive along these lines. Our general philosophy is this. The GS guidelines are (at least this is our intention) very clear as to what constitutes a violation of the rules. We tend to interpret these rules as narrowly as possible and to bend over backward to give first precedence to principles of free speech. Everyone can help.

1. Read the guidelines. If you think that a particular post violates the GS rules, PLEASE report that post by clicking on the little triangle at the bottom left of the offensive post. This is a big help to us. If we see a questionable post, but no GS member complains about it, we tend to say, oh well, no one complained, so I guess people are OK with it.

2. It seems silly to say this, but really, all we have to do is be cool and courteous. If you hate a skater (think about that -- you "hate" a figure skater?????), just remember that some of your friends on the board like that skater -- why try to hurt someone's feelings?

Conversely, if you like a skater and someone else doesn't -- so what? Just skip over the snarky post and go on to the next one.

3. And then there's the old GS maxim -- a mean-spirited post says more about the poster than about the object of his/her tirade.

Mathman said:
I hope it doesn't go that way, Joe. I just Googled "fun thing." I got 193,000,000 "fun things" on the web.

But there are not many sites that I can go to and read a post like Hockeyfan's on the thread about the selection of music from Bach and Wagner in Jeff Buttle's Glenn Gould LP. Or a post by GKelly on an upcoming rule change in the criteria for a level four FCCo spin.

(Which is not to say that we can't wax eloquent about how pretty our favorite skater is :yes: )

Does Hockeyfan and Gkelly post much about 'who's the prettiest'. We don't want to lose the posters who are avid sportsfans.

Joe

Joesitz said:
Does Hockeyfan and Gkelly post much about 'who's the prettiest'.
No, but I don't think they mind if other people do.
We don't want to lose the posters who are avid sportsfans.
I agree. The purpose of my previous post was to say that there are many "fun" forums where people can talk about who's pretty, but, to me, it is the intermixture of serious and technical posts that sets Golden Skate apart.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
No, but I don't think they mind if other people do. I agree. The purpose of my previous post was to say that there are many "fun" forums where people can talk about who's pretty, but, to me, it is the intermixture of serious and technical posts that sets Golden Skate apart.

agreed.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I think the who is the prettiest, costumes, Sasha's on Vegas, Michelle's got a new Disney contract, or any thread that is not about the skating should be in Le Cafe even if it is about a skater. This would keep skating and fluff separate. OR maybe have a fluff section?

This is the only board that I post on. While I don't have much to say about the technical aspects of skating I like to read and learn from the rest of you. GS has something for everyone. If someone isn't interested in who is the prettiest....DON'T READ THE THREAD!

Last edited:
Piel said:
I think the who is the prettiest, costumes, Sasha's on Vegas, Michelle's got a new Disney contract, or any thread that is not about the skating should be in Le Cafe even if it is about a skater. This would keep skating and fluff separate. OR maybe have a fluff section?
Couldn't agree with you more!

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
In that case we should just have an "Off-Season" discussion forum. That's all you'll basically get during this time period- fluff and speculation. If one doesn't like it, well, just wait until next season when it gets active again. JMO

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kasey said:
You know what? This board has lost posters, and will continue to do so when there are SOME posters who are allowed to make snotty personal comments about another poster. When trolls are allowed to continue to make bash threads about specific skaters over and over again. When younger posters are discouraged from posting because some snotwads can't get their heads out of their butts and realize there are things that are all in FUN, and if you MUST make a nasty comment like "Obviously this was posted by a child, and doesn't require comment", WHO is the a$$ here? Not the younger poster who started what YOU think is an asinine thread, but YOU, Ms. Maturity, for responding in such a condescending manner.

Well said. I always thought it hurt when people make comments like that. Where does it say in the rules that everything must be serious? Or that you must be a certain age? I remember in the "old" days we used to have a lot of "fun" threads. Now it seems like those kinds of threads are discouraged.

Now, I happen to be tough enough to resist these petty comments. But many other people aren't, and after a while it gets boring and old and then they leave.

Piel said:
Oh, I don't know, Piel. I kind of like the Edge being that delicious figure skating stew where I can always stick in my fork and come up with a morsel to my liking.

So I get up in the morning, brush my teeth, and click on the Edge. Ha! Thread number one: "Is Michelle wearing her eyebrows fuller this season?" (562 replies, 12,388 views).

Thread number two: A exegetical analysis of ISU Communication #42189(a) as presented to the 54th Council Ordinaire, amending ISU by-law #1864, paragraph 62r. (0 replies, 4 views).

And I thought I was going to have a boring day! Now I can spend my morning scouring the Internet for pictures of Michelle and measuring the thickness of her eyebrows with a micrometer, cataloguing the resulting data by season.

Then I can spend the afternoon composing an indignant email to Speedy: "Aha! You thought you'd pull the wool over our eyes, but I can see through your nefarious plot. Paragraph 64r THIS!"

This is the only board that I post on. While I don't have much to say about the technical aspects of skating I like to read and learn from the rest of you. GS has something for everyone. If someone isn't interested in who is the prettiest....DON'T READ THE THREAD!
:rock:

That seems so simple.

Kasey

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Does Hockeyfan and Gkelly post much about 'who's the prettiest'. We don't want to lose the posters who are avid sportsfans.

Joe

How many threads have these avid sportsfans started lately? If you want intellectual discussion about the sport, how many threads have you started lately? It's OFF SEASON. It's not sacreligious to start threads about "Skater lookalikes" and whatnot for the fifteenth off season in a row. There are some 'avid sportsfans' who probably take the off-season OFF of boards such as this, and come back when the season gears up again.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Piel said:

But isn't that also part of skating? The skaters themselves? ;)

It's the off season - if we didn't have this stuff this time of year we'd have NOTHING to talk about. And it's not like most of the more serious threads don't turn towards the silly towards the 3rd or 4th page ;) (depending ON the thread it goes down hill towards the second reply :laugh: )

anya_angie

Final Flight
Hi guys! It has been a logn time since my last post! I've been lurking but not posting LOL.

I've started my own skating writing soap opera/game LOL I will post an announcement for it after I'm done here.

I've been offered to write for Blazing Blades! I offered to write a column reviewing each discipline of each competition all season! Whoopee! So, that will keep me busy during this summer!

I've also been making montages! For those interested I'll start a thread in Le Cafe with links to all of them. I've got G&G, Alexei/Evgeni, Evgeni, S&Z, Johnny, Ilia Kulik, and Irina Slutskaya, and still working on more!

I'm still choreographing programs but haven't typed anything interesting. I have however edited music I want to use! So when I post new programs I will be sure to provide a link to the exact music!

Offline my life has been just a tad hectic.

My sister had an affair with a bum and it exploded into such stress and embarrassment for all of us, but now, as we predicted, she seems to be back with her husband who just a week ago she was inches away from divorcing. But anyway that's been the main source or stress for us LOL.

My mom recently got an insulin pump, thankfully it's working all right for her, but since she had little experience with technology she had a hard time getting it to work.

That's it though for big events!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:

It's the off season - if we didn't have this stuff this time of year we'd have NOTHING to talk about. And it's not like most of the more serious threads don't turn towards the silly towards the 3rd or 4th page ;) (depending ON the thread it goes down hill towards the second reply :laugh: )
It is.. I was just trying to think of something to make everyone happy. Strictly skating for the all skating all the time folks, and skating light for those who don't mind a little fluff with their flips. I think the serious threads that go south are annoying to the hard core skating fans. I know I'm guilty of it.

Last edited:
Tonichelle said:

Nothing wrong with posting trivia but some people have a life that is quite busy with life. Skating is part of that life, and if the topics tend to be frivalous, it is a major reason for them to hibernate till Campbells.

That seems to be the rationale for the more astute skating fan. However, we don't want to take the trivia threads away from those who need that in their lives. There's room for all, but some posters will leave till the sport comes back.

So it's ok to talk about the 'hotties'.

Joe

Hey, you've been busy Anya-Angie!
anya_angie said:
I've been offered to write for Blazing Blades! I offered to write a column reviewing each discipline of each competition all season! Whoopee! So, that will keep me busy during this summer!
Wow! Way cool. :cool: :clap: :clap: :clap: