Han Yan & Yuzuru Hanyu health updates | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Han Yan & Yuzuru Hanyu health updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

daphna

On the Ice
1.It's good to see Yuzuru's head didn't fall off and that he's still in one piece
2.I'm sure he'll do fine without Orser for the next few weeks - I doubt he'll be in shortage of coaching. Any coach in Japan will take the charge if asked.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Yuzu also pulled a leg muscle--not sure if it happened during the collision, in the warm-up after the collision, or during his skate. It looks to me from the footage that as he returned on the ice his left leg was hurting. I can't even imagine how much pain he must have been in, both due to the head injury and possibly the leg as well. Athletes are used to working through pain, but this was extreme :(

I just hope he'll be 100% ok. Take care of yourself, Yuzu! Very glad to hear Han Yan is clearly already better.
How long does it take for an athlete to heal after they pulled a leg muscle? I wonder.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
thanks for sharing.
Hanyu does talk to himself and makes gestures in the air often. -Even when he's not concussed.
I thought he was 'rearranging ' the program in his mind, and with his fingers trying to calculate which jumps he would try and where we would rest etc. ...

I. . . thought he was gesturing to Orser actually.

Bonesfan

On the Ice

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Both skaters coaches should have withdrawn them. Allowing them both to skate was insane it's the coaches job to keep the skaters healthy and not push them to far.
But here's the thing. If the skaters themselves made the decision to skate (or not skate), do coaches have the power to veto the decision? For all we know, Orser may have told Yuzu to withdraw but he refused. Likewise Han's coach.

Neither are minors (if 18 yr olds are considered adults in their respective country), so perhaps there's nothing others can do if the "adult" skaters are stubborn. Short of a new ISU rule that gives referees the power to force-withdraw, that is. (and deal with the backlash if referees "robbed" skaters of whatever event - you know conspiracy theory will happen lol.)

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
But here's the thing. If the skaters themselves made the decision to skate (or not skate), do coaches have the power to veto the decision? For all we know, Orser may have told Yuzu to withdraw but he refused. Likewise Han's coach.

Neither are minors (if 18 yr olds are considered adults in their respective country), so perhaps there's nothing others can do if the "adult" skaters are stubborn. Short of a new ISU rule that gives referees the power to force-withdraw, that is. (and deal with the backlash if referees "robbed" skaters of whatever event - you know conspiracy theory will happen lol.)
Actually Yuzuru´s a minor under Japan´s law, as other have said here, he will be untill next month when he turns 20. Anyway, Yuzuru would have skated even with Orser and his mother attached to his leg, the only way to stop him is if regulation prohibit him from doing so.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Why would they not have the right to walk away and not function as their coach? It seems they could basically say "I don't support this, I will not act as your coach competing when I deem it unsafe, I will not be in the kiss and cry or otherwise support you in this competition, I'll be in the locker room."

Honestly is there something preventing them from doing this? They don't have to support an athlete's decision do they?

Ryusa5

Rinkside
Neither are minors (if 18 yr olds are considered adults in their respective country)
Hanyu is still a minor in his home country but the competition took place in China where the age is 18 so I'm not sure how he was considered
But the thing is he suffered 2 hard hits on his head in less than a second,and he was bleeding from both places so I really don't think he was in the right set of mind to decide something like that.Of course he wanted to compete all he could think was probably GPF with shock and andrenaline taking over him.Same as Han who he had a really ugly hit on his heart area on top of his chin

I really think that from now on everyone involved in collisions like this where the skaters injure their heads should't be allowed to compete by rules.They should state clearly that if your head hits a hard surface at high speed you're out.No discussion

badknees

Medalist
Absolutely agree. How would this be any different than the whistle blowing when you have a costume malfunction that the referee deems unsafe?

Amei

Record Breaker
News flash. Yuzuru arrived in Tokyo just now on a wheelchair. he looks OK. going for examination after this.

He's a 19 (almost 20) year old athlete, if he's in a wheelchair, clearly something isn't okay... at least in my opinion. Hopefully its just precaution, since someone has mentioned that he might've gotten a leg injury.

Amei

Record Breaker
Absolutely agree. How would this be any different than the whistle blowing when you have a costume malfunction that the referee deems unsafe?

Correct me if I'm wrong - but if you are mid-skate and the referee stops the performance because of a costume issue - you get to re-start. If they WD, that's it they don't get a shot at the GPF.

makaihime

Final Flight
He's a 19 (almost 20) year old athlete, if he's in a wheelchair, clearly something isn't okay... at least in my opinion. Hopefully its just precaution, since someone has mentioned that he might've gotten a leg injury.

Yeah, he pulled a leg muscle during the program, which was why he needed people to carry him out of K&C..

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
He looked like he could barely get up for the final few falls of the free skate. I don't know what he injured, but it looked like the falls caused even more injuries (hopefully not severe ones).

FSjunkie

Match Penalty
Oh please, not the asthma excuse again. Other skaters like Charlie White and Joshua Farris has asthma, but you don't see them stumbling around like zombies after their free program.

AprilS

On the Ice
Oh please, not the asthma excuse again. Other skaters like Charlie White and Joshua Farris has asthma, but you don't see them stumbling around like zombies after their free program.

FSjunkie, it has been mentioned time and time again that this thread is for health updates only. Please take it to the designated thread in the Cup of China area. Thank you. *besides, I'm pretty sure it has been said that he pulled his leg muscle during the program and that's why he had trouble standing/walking...

eiriene

Rinkside

And his asthma may not be as well-controlled as that of Charlie White and Joshua Farris. He can definitely be an athlete in peak condition and still have breathing issues. FWIW, he may be eligible to take "extreme" systemic medicines like oral steroids for more asthma control, but be opting to avoid that due to the side effects. The point is, we don't know his intimate health situation, and it's not worth speculating about unless Yuzuru explicitly speaks out about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.