Hanyu 'GIFT' show was huge | Golden Skate

Hanyu 'GIFT' show was huge

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yuzuru Hanyu's solo ice show at the Tokyo Dome was last night, and a massive success, with over ten programs old and new, state of the art optics and story, and yes, the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra. It was sold out in the arena and in cinemas in every prefecture in Japan as well as several overseas countries, had domestic streaming by Disney+ (which many overseas and especially Chinese hooked into with VPNs) which Disney, unlike our own powers that be, really put the effort into promoting, and an international stream for people across the world (he even thanked those streaming in!) Whether people like Yuzu and his skating and his style or not, the numbers and the pictures (and the money!) don't lie. There's an audience, well and truly above the 'fans'.

I said, way back after he first turned pro, that if Yuzuru could make it work it would be good for all skaters who wanted to do so after they left the competitive field and got told off for thinking anything so ridiculous; while no one else could do something on this scale (not even the Russians, who nevertheless do have successful shows), I still really do believe that it shows that, if they start really thinking about and giving the public the good stuff, there will be an audience. A bigger one that the current round of old-style shows. And that could only be good for interest in the shows... and in skating (which, like all sports, is primarily entertainment when all is said and done) as a whole.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would love it if there were a market for both: the pro competitions, so we could see competitive skates in a more relaxed setting, and the razzle dazzle skating spectacular, of which GIFT appears to be a prime example.

Of course razzle dazzle isn't cheap to stage, and so we have the chicken or the egg: how does the skating spectacular promoter find funding? (presuming they can't get Yuzu to star in their show ;) ).

ETA: I am not using "razzle dazzle" as a pejorative, but as a compliment, the show does look amazing, I particularly liked the descent with wings, reminded me of the beginning of EW&F concerts back in the day. :)

Magill

Record Breaker
I would love it if there were a market for both: the pro competitions, so we could see competitive skates in a more relaxed setting, and the razzle dazzle skating spectacular, of which GIFT appears to be a prime example.

Of course razzle dazzle isn't cheap to stage, and so we have the chicken or the egg: how does the skating spectacular promoter find funding? (presuming they can't get Yuzu to star in their show ;) ).

ETA: I am not using "razzle dazzle" as a pejorative, but as a compliment, the show does look amazing, I particularly liked the descent with wings, reminded me of the beginning of EW&F concerts back in the day. :)
I understand the razzle dazzle is meant as a compliment to the grandiose side of the show but there was also this black-and-white-soft-spoken-minimalist side of it that should not be overlooked and dismissed as I am sure it would have been a very different event without it. And which requires very different qualities (and a different budget, if we're on it).
Yet even the winged and fiery entrance was a reference to Yuzuru's own childhood skate to "Firebird" and his "Phoenix" nickname used by fans and sport commentators alike. So even if it was grand, it was at the same time personal and meaningful, and not just glittering for the sake of it, which I think essential.
One thing is to have the funding you need at your disposal. Knowing how to use it is yet quite another beast;)
As for the pro competitions, watching how it goes with the regular ones, I'd rather stick with the shows :)

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was sad to see the demise of the Peggy Fleming competition, and I can see what you mean about pro competitions - also having them detached from the official ISU structure and decision-making would I think be a plus.

True, the budget and the risk involved must have looked insane at the start (the gross profits, as people have calculated, look even more insane but still, at the time he was approached no one could know...) I still think that, though the scale and spectacle might not be possible. the story was what really tied it all and took the audience by storm. And that is, if to a lesser extent, replicable. We'll see with the multi-cast Notte Stellata.

GIFT was a hell of an experience, and I hope Yuzuru goes on to create more experiences and yes (because I'm a fan) makes a mint doing it :biggrin: but I'm greedy, I want more.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
I've been watching a lot of YouTubes lately and many of them have been videos of ice shows in the past. Not just SOI but Ice Wars and some others. As you can see from my avatar I'm a huuuuge Kurt Browning fan and have been utterly amazed at revisiting his fantastic footwork. You wouldn't think a body could move like that and there is no one currently that has speed in their choreography. But it also made me acknowledge once again that I truly miss the pro competitions.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A full 35,000 visitors stormed the Tokyo Dome, one of Japan's largest event halls, to experience his one-day show GIFT firsthand. Weeks before, advertising posters adorned the trains of the million-strong metropolis, and on social media, fans' excitement was almost unstoppable. With streaming sites broadcasting the performance around the globe, and 30,000 more viewers in Japan, Korea and Taiwan who watched the event live in movie theaters, GIFT proved to be a very successful ice show.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What is also amazing is that he was approached to do the show - he says himself he wouldn't have thought something this big as Tokyo Dome was on the cards - and approached before his first shows in Prologue. It could quite well have been too ambitious, even for Yuzuru Hanyu. The numbers for the livestreams are not yet available, probably because both kept it open - Disney+ will till 12 March and the international one (which was not cheap but apparently standard price for Japanese shows and worked like am absolute subtitled dream) closes today 1 March.

Oh, and a small point, that the show involved as many quads than you will probably see at many official competitions these days :laugh: plus all the rest. And he somehow got permission from the Prince estate and Hisaishi (new piece to Spirited Away, as well as H&L) both of whom are notoriously negative on giving it.

I do hope he's resting up now and will take it a little easier when he has other skaters around....

PS - a Japanese business journal (aka not just fans) has estimated the total sales for GIFT, presumably with merchandise sales to date, to at least 2 billion yen. I don't know if he'll do another show this big, but given that money talks...

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I've been watching a lot of YouTubes lately and many of them have been videos of ice shows in the past. Not just SOI but Ice Wars and some others. As you can see from my avatar I'm a huuuuge Kurt Browning fan and have been utterly amazed at revisiting his fantastic footwork. You wouldn't think a body could move like that and there is no one currently that has speed in their choreography. But it also made me acknowledge once again that I truly miss the pro competitions.

Did I read somewhere that this will be his last SOI tour? I h[e fans will make that extra effort to go, in that case.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Did I read somewhere that this will be his last SOI tour? I h[e fans will make that extra effort to go, in that case.
Yes, this is Kurt's last year at SOI.

I will not be going to SOI this year, as it is not coming anywhere near me. I did see Kurt at the Holiday SOI in December, so will have to consider that his farewell.

In reply to @noskates post about Kurt, I think Keegan is a worthy successor to him in the footwork and performance departments!

Magill

Record Breaker
Going back to the main subject of this thread, I have just rewatched the GIFT and, hey, that is quite an emotional journey to be taken on, really!
I reiterate, if you do not speak Japanese, watching it with or without subtitles makes a hell of a difference. If you have a choice, go for the subtitled version.
I wonder what is going to happen to it now as I hate to think that was it and it will never be available for watching again. I hope they make it available somehow as a whole, not just short extracts here and there as in this case the whole thing is truly much more than its parts.
Noting Yuzuru is not just the sole skater in GIFT, but also the author and the producer of this show, I wonder what he is going to do next and whether it impacts the way other shows are thought of and created by other people in the business, introducing both more meaningful scripts and more creative use of technology.
He has had such an impact on competitive figure skating. Could he potentially change the universe of ice shows now for a change?

Kirito

Spectator
Well, it seems he is interested in telling new stories (with himself as the main character 😎), not repeating known stories and folklore. That might indeed create a new genre in ice shows, who knows? For now, I can wait for his new story with CLAMPS, their illustration of him is astonishing. I don't know how to insert image here so I leave the link to reddit post that contains the images:https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/11d1vfn/art_gift_clamp_collab_yuzuru_hanyu/.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Going back to the main subject of this thread, I have just rewatched the GIFT and, hey, that is quite an emotional journey to be taken on, really!
I reiterate, if you do not speak Japanese, watching it with or without subtitles makes a hell of a difference. If you have a choice, go for the subtitled version.
I wonder what is going to happen to it now as I hate to think that was it and it will never be available for watching again. I hope they make it available somehow as a whole, not just short extracts here and there as in this case the whole thing is truly much more than its parts.
Noting Yuzuru is not just the sole skater in GIFT, but also the author and the producer of this show, I wonder what he is going to do next and whether it impacts the way other shows are thought of and created by other people in the business, introducing both more meaningful scripts and more creative use of technology.
He has had such an impact on competitive figure skating. Could he potentially change the universe of ice shows now for a change?
I'm dreaming of a DVD/Blueray/online release of Prologue/GIFT/Notte Stellata.

The design and flow of the show was impeccable, Mikiko (who I believe also did the Tokyo Olympics) did a stellar job on it, all that light and show and video story never felt like 'fill in while he rests/gets changed' (there were about what, 10-12 costumes???) but integral to the whole. It would have been so easy for one small man in the middle of it all, even one with Yuzuru's charisma and presence, to be overwhelmed, but she and Yuzuri made sure that never happened, it was still very much centred. I do think other shows could look at what she and the crew did, as well as at Yuzu, and learn.

For now, I can wait for his new story with CLAMPS, their illustration of him is astonishing. I don't know how to insert image here so I leave the link to reddit post that contains the images:https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/11d1vfn/art_gift_clamp_collab_yuzuru_hanyu/.

There's also the little mushroom-haired chibi inspired by baby Yuzuru pics, which I adore and want.

Last edited:

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
I am happy that the show was well received. Can figure skating sustain 30,000 for every show and competition? Doesn't the United States in the big arena require 50,000 to fill their arenas? Or is it a smaller amount like. 10,000? I think the sponsor and arenas been fussing over the lack of fill seats. I thought they been unhappy with only 2000 .

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am happy that the show was well received. Can figure skating sustain 30,000 for every show and competition? Doesn't the United States in the big arena require 50,000 to fill their arenas? Or is it a smaller amount like. 10,000? I think the sponsor and arenas been fussing over the lack of fill seats. I thought they been unhappy with only 2000 .

The number they could fit into Tokyo Dome was restricted by the need for the big rink and all the equipment, which they minimised where they could (extra seats 'with partially blocked' view were made available the day before and yes, sold out :laugh:) Numerous informal polls of the success rate on the lotteries make people suspect they could have sold twice the number they did :jaw: Plus of course the cinemas. He could have had 55,000 people there. He just didn't have the room for the seats.

Now of course figure skating can't sustain those sort of numbers generally, not even in Russia and Japan and certainly not in NA or my corner of the world. Even biased as I am, I don't seriously think Yuzuru would dream of doing it too often, never mind the work involved. But all of the Prologue shows, and the three Notte Stellata all sold out, and there's a good chance FAoI will, and SOI Japan might (all of the last three have other skaters, good exposure) and some of them have very high seating (some of the Prologue shows were in a 12000+ rink). Also if the Koreans keep developing well, and Yuna chooses to do shows with them... who knows?

The other thing is, the amount of money to mount something as big as like GIFT even with its shall we say restricted -? cast salaries would have been massive, as was the risk involved. I think NS will also be a high level production, it's for a very special occasion, but most general ice shows even in the big markets (though if Yuzuru signs up for China, all bets are off :biggrin:) let alone elsewhere simply couldn't - even if they would - take those sorts of financial risks.

Last edited:

Magill

Record Breaker
The number they could fit into Tokyo Dome was restricted by the need for the big rink and all the equipment, which they minimised where they could (extra seats 'with partially blocked' view were made available the day before and yes, sold out :laugh:) Numerous informal polls of the success rate on the lotteries make people suspect they could have sold twice the number they did :jaw: Plus of course the cinemas. He could have had 55,000 people there. He just didn't have the room for the seats.

Now of course figure skating can't sustain those sort of numbers generally, not even in Russia and Japan and certainly not in NA or my corner of the world. Even biased as I am, I don't seriously think Yuzuru would dream of doing it too often, never mind the work involved. But all of the Prologue shows, and the three Notte Stellata all sold out, and there's a good chance FAoI will, and SOI Japan might (all of the last three have other skaters, good exposure) and some of them have very high seating (some of the Prologue shows were in a 12000+ rink). Also if the Koreans keep developing well, and Yuna chooses to do shows with them... who knows?

The other thing is, the amount of money to mount something as big as like GIFT even with its shall we say restricted -? cast salaries would have been massive, as was the risk involved. I think NS will also be a high level production, it's for a very special occasion, but most general ice shows even in the big markets (though if Yuzuru signs up for China, all bets are off :biggrin:) let alone elsewhere simply couldn't - even if they would - take those sorts of financial risks.
Yuzuru said himself GIFT was a one-time event and would not be repeated although whether he meant this particular show or doing the Tokyo Dome-style events in general remains to be seen. He also admitted there were many things that were possible for the show only because the Dome was its venue and the technical possibilities there were mind blowing - so, well, it remains to be seen if he ever gets tempted to go back there again.
OTOH, I also recall that last year there were some people saying not all the ice shows in Japan sold out as well as those with Yuzuru so his superstar status obviously plays a huge part in the numbers for all of his shows, even in the market so deep and so figure-skating-loving as Japan. Which must be a sobering thought for anyone trying to repeat what he has just done, with different cast and circumstances, as his status is quite unique.
Yuna in Korea? Yes, could be. If she's interested.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
OTOH, I also recall that last year there were some people saying not all the ice shows in Japan sold out as well...

Even in Japan, and definitely elsewhere, being a figure skating fan is Not Cheap these days of it ever was. Tickets, travel, accommodation, books, magazines (and do NOT talk to me about postage!) and then merchandise (didn't I read Kazuki is running a line of this now? It's becoming more common for all the popular ones, I guess and for each show, which can mount up). Fans and the general public everywhere may have to get more choosy...

I don't know about Tokyo Dome sized shows, but I am hopeful that more solo ones will be in his future, and not only in Japan.

Last edited:

Magill

Record Breaker
Even in Japan, and definitely elsewherem being a figure skating fan is Not Cheap these days of it ever was. Tickets, travel, accommodation, books, magazines (and do NOT talk to me about postage!) and then merchandise (didn't I read Kazuki is running a line of this now? It's becoming more common for the popular ones, I guess). Fans and the general public everywhere may have to get more choosy...
I don't know about Tokyo Dome sized shows, but I am hopeful that more solo ones will be in his future, and not only in Japan.
I do not care for the size but I would love him to do some more thoughtful, meaningful, artsy things like GIFT turned out to be. It was so unique in this aspect!
The thing was it was clearly about him and his story, but also pretty detached from it at the same time. We as the audience were filling the gaps in as the story developed because we could see Yuzuru narrating it. But actually if you listen to / read the narration itself, there is not one point that would refer to any specific event, to skating or even sport as such. It is all a very general journey through varying states of mind, emotions, inner dialogues, monologues and insights. It makes it so deeply relatable cause it might be anyone's story. I even saw some reviews online where authors chose to refer to the protagonist as the "Narrator" and not as "Yuzuru". It is even more striking when you think of it as an emotional journey of such a champion and celebrity. But it is most of all so human.
I know it was his conscious intention to reach with GIFT to our own stories and feelings. I think it was great in this aspect.
And, yes, sure I would love him to take his shows outside of Japan, too... But also others to take up the challenge and move down the line searching for deeper meanings and ways to express them in shows, not just for bigger audiences and higher budgets.

Last edited: