Harvard's An Evening with Champions benefit show, Sep 18 - 19, 2015 | Golden Skate

Harvard's An Evening with Champions benefit show, Sep 18 - 19, 2015

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The initial cast list for the 2015 edition of An Evening with Champions has been posted on the event website.

*** Please stay tuned for more updates regarding the 2015 show cast as they are posted on this page! ***

HOSTS: Paul Wylie, Emily Hughes

MEN: Ross Miner, Shotaro Omori, Harrison Choate

LADIES:
Kimmie Meissner
Emily Hughes
Courtney Hicks
Ashley Cain
Yasmin Siraj
Rachael Flatt
Maria Kalina​

ICE DANCING: Anastasia Cannuscio & Colin McManus

PAIRS: Ludmilla and Oleg Protopopov

SYNCHRONIZED SKATING TEAMS
The Haydenettes
Team Excel Collegiate
Team Excel Senior
Act I of Boston​

GUEST PERFORMANCES: Harvard University Figure Skating Club

FWIW:
The list above has many differences from the 2015 cast list recently published by IN (which was posted in the Paul Wylie thread and is copied below).
But both lists indicate that updates will be forthcoming.​

Both lists have the Protopopovs :cool:, who are returning to the show for the 23rd year.

When/Where:
7 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 18; and 7 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 19.
Venue: Harvard’s Bright Hockey Center at 79 North Harvard Street in Allston, Mass.
Tickets available from the Harvard Box Office beginning in August.​

Older posts re the 2015 cast -- copied from the Paul Wylie thread:

General news re Paul:
It was announced today that he once again will co-host Harvard's An Evening With Champions.

The show, which will take place Sept. 18-19, boasts a long list of participants, including Kimmie Meissner, Karen Chen, Rachael Flatt, Ashley Cain, Courtney Hicks, Yasmin Siraj, Ryan Bradley, Shawn Sawyer, Richard Dornbush, Ross Miner, Shotaro Omori, Harrison Choate, Anastasia Cannuscio and Colin McManus, Gretchen Donlan and Nate Bartholomay, the Haydenettes, Act I of Boston and, in a welcome return, Ludmila and Oleg Protopopov. More names may be added soon. Paul Wylie and Emily Hughes will return as co-hosts. ...
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/07/14/136553374 (Jul 14)​

The day after tomorrow is Mr. Protopopov's birthday. He will be 83. Mrs. P. (not to be confused with our Mrs. P. :) ) is three years younger. They have been married for 58 years. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Having watched the Protopopovs through the years it's undeniable that they have magic. Their love for each other just shines through their programs and the way he presents her is beautiful. Good for them for still being able to skate.

Last edited:

charmblade

Final Flight
I'll probably be going to this, so I'm definitely interested to see the final cast. I'd really like to see Ryan, Ricky, Gretchen and Nate so I hope they will be attending. The show last year was a lot of fun (and I even got to meet Ashley Cain and Courtney Hicks at the intermission, they're both really sweet).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'll probably be going to this, so I'm definitely interested to see the final cast. I'd really like to see Ryan, Ricky, Gretchen and Nate so I hope they will be attending. The show last year was a lot of fun (and I even got to meet Ashley Cain and Courtney Hicks at the intermission, they're both really sweet).

Update: The 2015 cast list on the website has been revised (at the same link as in the OP).

Added:
Mirai Nagasu
Johnny Weir (who tweeted :) about returning to the show)
Alex Johnson​

Added (and who were on the IN list):
Richard Dornbush
Ryan Bradley
Donlan/Bartholomay​

Note: Still no sign of Karen Chen and Shawn Sawyer on the website list, although they were on the IN list.

Cool that last week the EWC page on Facebook had singled out Sho Omori as a "showstopper."

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Mini-updates:

- Dornbush has disappeared from the 2015 cast list.
(Only my speculation, but I wonder whether a schedule conflict with a comp was the reason. SLC and Lombardia take place at the same time as the Harvard shows.)

- Team Excel Collegiate has disappeared too.​

charmblade

Final Flight
Just bought my ticket for Friday night :party2: Anyone else going?

The cast list is still in flux, it seems. Along with Ricky, Alex and Courtney have disappeared from the list. It's definitely disappointing, those three are some of my favorites, but I'm still stoked about the rest of the cast, especially Johnny, Ryan, and Mirai.

It's a really great charity event as well, so you know your money is going to a good cause and you get to see some amazing skaters. Win/win situation!

ice coverage

Record Breaker

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Happy to see that Christina Gao has been added to the cast :).
(Her addition was not a given -- she had not been listed on the first few versions of the 2015 cast list, although she is a board member of the event.)

Latest version of this year's cast:

HOSTS: Paul Wylie; Emily Hughes

MEN: Johnny Weir; Ryan Bradley; Nathan Chen; Shotaro Omori; Alexander Johnson; Kevin Shum; Harrison Choate

LADIES; Kimmie Meissner; Emily Hughes; Rachael Flatt; Ashley Cain; Christina Gao; Yasmin Siraj; Maria Kalina

ICE DANCING: Anastasia Cannuscio & Colin McManus

PAIRS: Ludmila and Oleg Protopopov

SYNCHRONIZED SKATING TEAMS: The Haydenettes; Team Excel Senior

GUEST PERFORMANCES: Harvard University Figure Skating Club​

(Act I no longer is listed. Our discussion was for naught. :eek:hwell:)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ross Miner is no longer listed? :cry:

Still a great line-up! If you're able to attend this, please post reports & photos!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ross Miner is no longer listed? :cry:

Still a great line-up! If you're able to attend this, please post reports & photos!

The good news is that Ross Miner was assigned to the SLC Classic :), which is taking place at the same time as the Harvard shows.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Richard Dornbush is also doing the SLC Classic, hence his disappearing from Evening with Champions.

charmblade

Final Flight
Just got back from the show, it was amazing! If you guys want I can type up a full report tomorrow, but quick notes:

Paul Wylie looks fantastic and he even skated!! It was a lovely surprise, he usually hosts without skating himself but apparently due to his heart attack earlier this year he felt motivated to perform and it was awesome.

Nathan Chen performed his Michael Jackson short, including a quad and a triple axel, and he was on fire. The crowd erupted when he finished. He did a perfect 3A about ten feet in front of me and it was jaw-dropping.

The Protopopovs!!! They skated in bright pink outfits and showed true grace and elegance. What a wonderful thing to see.

Johnny Weir as Carmen is everything you could ever hope Johnny Weir as Carmen to be.

One of early acts is saved for a local skater(s) who raises the most money for the event. There were three little kids who skated to Star Wars and put on the most adorable show ever. There was a Princess Leia, a mini-Darth Vader, and an even more mini-Yoda. They ended with Yoda force-killing Vader, who flopped dead on the ice. It was amazing.

Also, when Alexander Johnson performed they said that he had surgery four weeks ago, but didn't say what kind. But that probably explains why he didn't end up competing at Salt Lake this weekend. However, he looked great, doing a triple jump and a 2A, multiple spins, and many expressive moves showing his flexibility so he seems to be doing very well in his recovery.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Thank you! Looking forward to more reports/photos, etc. What did Harrison Choate skate to?

cl2

Final Flight
Thanks for the summary! I am going tonight, and convinced a few of my non-skating coworkers to join me. I'm confident they will love it!