Have any figure skaters provided you light in a dark time? | Golden Skate

Have any figure skaters provided you light in a dark time?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought about this so much. I know that some people have athletes, musicians, influencers, artists, etc that they say saved their life. I never had one of those, but one figure skater I would say brought me light during a dark time.

As some of you know, I'm a fan of now-retired skater Kevin Reynolds. I have a great appreciation for him for creativity, perseverance, and being ahead of his time for being the only man to land 2 quads in a short program for 4 years. It was because of him, I learned the rules of figure skating/program creation in a way. In May 2017, I saw the GP assignments were posted and I saw that Kevin was going to Skate America. I was so excited because I would finally get a chance to see him skate in person. So me and my family bought tickets and such. During the almost half a year period, I went through an experience that led me to have some emotional and mental trauma. I won't get into what happened, but it was the worst mental experience I ever had. I felt like things weren't looking up. I had to keep pushing through because I'm like that. But I didn't feel very happy. Even seeing my favorite band Hanson during that time period didn't help me feel better (Don't get me wrong, I had fun seeing them, but still). I had an overhang. In addition, grad school was so difficult and I had a very hard time absorbing information for some classes. I was counting down to go to Lake Placid because I knew I would feel happy. I remember when I met Kevin Reynolds in the hotel lobby (The hotel had an interesting layout). I remember getting a selfie with him (After two attempts cause my phone was out of storage LOL), telling him he was one of my favorite skaters, got his autograph, and showing him my college graduation cap where he was one of four names I wrote on the corners of people that made college a better experience for me. I felt SO happy. My dream came true there and when I saw him skate. After the men's FP and when I was on the way back home, I teared up. It meant so much to me. I felt like me meeting him and seeing him skate helped start the healing process for me. It didn't completely heal it. As grad school finals that semester gave me high stress levels. But it was a start. And I'm forever grateful for it.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a lovely story @cheerknithanson. I remember your graduation cap.

I've been watching since Janet Lynn, and I can't pinpoint any specific time, but that's probably due more to my aging memory than anything else:laugh:. But certainly anything we truly love, or a part of that community, is a help in times of trouble.

And I would hope we all love figure skating. :)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When I'm feeling down, I 💕to watch some of my most favorite figure skating performances. That cheers me up (hey, not only during "down" times).

I wouldn't say this was a "dark" time @ US Nationals (except for all of the COVID positive testing & subsequent withdrawals)., but Sean Rabbitt definitely made our day when he came over to our seats to say "Hello" to us! I was hoping to see him in the concourse, but this was even better! 💕🐰🐇⛸️

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After my mom passed away in Dec. of 2014, I was pretty down. Prior to her passing, I had gone to Boston Nats in 2014 and had just started getting back into watching skating again, after a very long hiatus. I really liked this cool skater named Jason Brown and his Riverdance that brought the house down. Just for a little treat, when I saw Skate America 2015 was in Milwaukee (and realized Jason would be there) , I decided to make the 90-mile drive. It would be something fun that would give me a much-needed break from all of my executor responsibilities...Long story short, while I was there, I fell in love with this little Japanese guy's skating. Who was he?! Since I didn't watch juniors, I had no clue. Well, the rest is history. I had so much fun getting acquainted with all his skating programs on You Tube, have made a lot of new online friends (and met some in person), and have travelled to 3 Worlds, 5 Skate America, 4 events in Canada (3 Sk Can, 1 GPF), and also 5 Nats. The happiness I got from skating really pulled me out of my "funk". I have been especially blessed to have interacted multiple times with my favorite skater (and his family too)...Now my favorite thing to do every day is read up on what's going on in the skating world.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I thought about this so much. I know that some people have athletes, musicians, influencers, artists, etc that they say saved their life. I never had one of those, but one figure skater I would say brought me light during a dark time.

As some of you know, I'm a fan of now-retired skater Kevin Reynolds. I have a great appreciation for him for creativity, perseverance, and being ahead of his time for being the only man to land 2 quads in a short program for 4 years. It was because of him, I learned the rules of figure skating/program creation in a way. In May 2017, I saw the GP assignments were posted and I saw that Kevin was going to Skate America. I was so excited because I would finally get a chance to see him skate in person. So me and my family bought tickets and such. During the almost half a year period, I went through an experience that led me to have some emotional and mental trauma. I won't get into what happened, but it was the worst mental experience I ever had. I felt like things weren't looking up. I had to keep pushing through because I'm like that. But I didn't feel very happy. Even seeing my favorite band Hanson during that time period didn't help me feel better (Don't get me wrong, I had fun seeing them, but still). I had an overhang. In addition, grad school was so difficult and I had a very hard time absorbing information for some classes. I was counting down to go to Lake Placid because I knew I would feel happy. I remember when I met Kevin Reynolds in the hotel lobby (The hotel had an interesting layout). I remember getting a selfie with him (After two attempts cause my phone was out of storage LOL), telling him he was one of my favorite skaters, got his autograph, and showing him my college graduation cap where he was one of four names I wrote on the corners of people that made college a better experience for me. I felt SO happy. My dream came true there and when I saw him skate. After the men's FP and when I was on the way back home, I teared up. It meant so much to me. I felt like me meeting him and seeing him skate helped start the healing process for me. It didn't completely heal it. As grad school finals that semester gave me high stress levels. But it was a start. And I'm forever grateful for it.
It’s amazing how empathy makes people feel stronger.

I overall find figure skaters to be pros at helping me out when I feel low. I have a YouTube playlist called ‘non mellow Figure Skating’ that I use in the gym for running. It has a huge variety, but Uno and Trusova have an unfair share of it.

My other fav, Mozalev, is of little renown, but the trajectory the kid charts and his investment in this thing keeps me with him. His 2020 win over Kagiyama was the last good thing that happened before the pandemic’s curtain closed in, so I survived it all watching this kid overcoming difficulty after difficulty. The fact that he pulled himself by the skin of his teeth into the Olympics just blows my mind. I like that kid, he skates for Team Try-Hard, for my team. For that single-minded dedication and wanting to succeed so hard, I forgive him every fall and whatever imperfections in musical interpretation other people find 🌟

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I overall find figure skaters to be pros at helping me out when I feel low. I have a YouTube playlist called ‘non mellow Figure Skating’ that I use in the gym for running. It has a huge variety, but Uno and Trusova have an unfair share of it.
Yes, this! How could I forget? I have an unusual playlist! Grant Hochstein coming in 10th at Boston Worlds but being a HUGE winner! Max Aaron skating his heart out at Boston Worlds, even though we knew no American men were likely to make the podium. Shoma's Ladies in Lavender and Great Spirit. Aliona and Bruno's OGM skates. Jason's Riverdance. And the list goes on and on! These programs always provide a "pick-me-up".

Last edited:

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, this! How could I forget? I have an unusual playlist! Grant Hochstein coming in 10th at Boston Worlds but being a HUGE winner! Max Aaron skating his heart out at Boston Worlds, even though we knew no American men were not likely to make the podium. Shoma's Ladies in Lavender and Great Spirit. Aliona and Bruno's OGM skates. Jason's Riverdance. And the list goes on and on! These programs always provide a "pick-me-up".
Grant Hochstein's 10th place finish is one of my favorite figure skating moments ever. I was there in the person and the audience reaction was deafening. Such a wonderful moment.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
When I'm a bit down (luckily for me, I have not experienced such mental upheaval and darkness as the OP, and I'm so happy for you that Kevin helped you on your way up), watching Aljona and Bruno's Olympic Free skate always cheers me up. As does Jason Brown's River Dance Programme at Nationals in 2014.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Slutskaya's FS at 2005 Worlds

I started watching because of my mom, This was the first Worlds I watched alone after she passed away,
Irina overcoming her illness to perform flawlessly on home ice and regain the World title
made me connect with the emotion that my mom would've been very happy to have seen it.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
That's a good question. I started figure skating lessons when I was 12 years old living in Prince George. We also skated in our back yard. Skating was always an escape for me and it still is. Even though I don't go skating anymore I still enjoy watching competitions and ice shows and even going to see them live if possible. I went to Skate Canada 2021 held here in Vancouver a few months ago. It was awesome and yes skating has helped me through many dark times. I miss actually going to the rink and participating as a skater, but watching skaters - at any level- is enjoyable.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
This isn't skater-specific, but after I broke both legs in 2020 and was stuck in a nursing home to recuperate, the cheap plastic sunglasses I picked up at Nationals in 2018 helped me stay focused on healing rather than how miserable I was. "#WeGetUp" got me through learning to walk again. I kept those sunglasses on my bedside table the whole time I was there. Thanks, USFS!

mercybuckets

Rinkside
Absolutely!

I quit watching skating for a few years as a teenager because I wanted so badly to be able to figure skate myself and my personal circumstances were such that it wasn't possibly at the time. I also had a very contentious relationship with my family at that point and I remember just feeling terrible and like nothing was ever going to get better.

Anyways, Worlds was in Boston that year (I still wish that I had been in a mental place to go when it was close to me lmao) and I saw Mao Asada leaving after a practice and I waved to her and she waved back and then I went and cried in a public restroom. But it was a really big moment for me somehow. I wouldn't say it saved my life but it did made a big difference at the time.

Other than that, I def watch certain skaters when I'm feeling down. Deniss Vasiljevs, Jason Brown, Mirai Nagasu, Max Aaron, Aliev's 'Sound of Silence,' Gracie Gold's 'She Used to Be Mine' if I want to cry.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Absolutely!

I quit watching skating for a few years as a teenager because I wanted so badly to be able to figure skate myself and my personal circumstances were such that it wasn't possibly at the time. I also had a very contentious relationship with my family at that point and I remember just feeling terrible and like nothing was ever going to get better.

Anyways, Worlds was in Boston that year (I still wish that I had been in a mental place to go when it was close to me lmao) and I saw Mao Asada leaving after a practice and I waved to her and she waved back and then I went and cried in a public restroom. But it was a really big moment for me somehow. I wouldn't say it saved my life but it did made a big difference at the time.

Other than that, I def watch certain skaters when I'm feeling down. Deniss Vasiljevs, Jason Brown, Mirai Nagasu, Max Aaron, Aliev's 'Sound of Silence,' Gracie Gold's 'She Used to Be Mine' if I want to cry.
Oh, I'm sorry you didn't go to Worlds, but great you saw Mao. I saw the ladies short program and Mao and Evgenia were my highlights. And I so agree about Vasiljevs and Brown.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
When I'm feeling down, I 💕to watch some of my most favorite figure skating performances. That cheers me up (hey, not only during "down" times).

I wouldn't say this was a "dark" time @ US Nationals (except for all of the COVID positive testing & subsequent withdrawals)., but Sean Rabbitt definitely made our day when he came over to our seats to say "Hello" to us! I was hoping to see him in the concourse, but this was even better! 💕🐰🐇⛸️
Same. I have to say Gracie Gold made me feel something this year at Nationals. I was having a really hard winter and seeing her skate that short program made me feel hope in a way I hadn't for a while. I'm not the die hard Gracie fan but doing what she did made me feel something.

Mao Asada also got me there at certain points in her career.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I too can say that Shoma Uno has been a light for me in dark times.

When the world seemed bleak in 2020, his YouTube channel was something to look forward to every week. There was something about his honesty and the little bits of humor in those videos that gave me hope.

More importantly, though, he has given me confidence in myself and helped make my life feel more meaningful. There have been times over these past couple of years when I thought my very existence was pointless, that I hadn't done anything truly meaningful with my life, that everything I had ever done or accomplished was due to sheer luck and not through my own efforts...negative thoughts such as these dogged me persistently. These thoughts were particularly intense after I blew a very good job opportunity last summer after only a couple of weeks of working there. What kept me going after that was the thought that I needed to see Shoma in Vegas.

There I was, drawn like a moth to that intense little flame in his soul... That spirit of never giving up, no matter the circumstances...

And after the competition ended, I was able to meet Shoma for a brief moment and give him a stuffed animal! Hearing him say "Thank you" in Japanese really moved me. I had never thought I could meet Shoma before. One could think it was just luck. But I was able to plan out how to get around some confusing stuffed animal regulations and able to run as fast as possible towards the secret exit...

The giraffe you see in my profile picture is the same type of stuffed animal that was given to him. I bought another one for myself to remind myself that I indeed have done something meaningful for someone.

I admittedly still don't have a new job yet, but I'm in the process of getting one. And I'm a far more confident person than I've ever been before.

Joubabe

On the Ice
Country
United-States
When my younger sister was dying of cancer I would often wake up in the middle of the night in a panic with my heart pounding out of my chest. I found that focusing on what Brian Joubert might be doing at that moment would eventually bring me calm. It was usually morning in France so I would speculate whether he was practicing quads, training in the gym, having Sunday breakfast with his family, or competing somewhere around the world.

I was lucky enough to meet him briefly at LA Worlds in 2009 and he met all of the high expectations I had of him.

I will always be grateful to Brian for helping me get through that terrible time.

Last edited:

nguyhm

On the Ice
The year when Mao Asada lost her mother was also a very dark difficult time for me and I was even more drawn into her skating than ever. She will always be my absolute favorite and great inspiration. Mirai Nagasu's perseverance and comeback stories also help me have a more positive outlook in life. I learned that we cannot avoid dark times (unforeseen things that happen to us beyond our control) but we can find ways to cope and find hope again.

Last edited: