Have any of you seen these kids' shows? | Golden Skate

Have any of you seen these kids' shows?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Earlier this week I saw this YouTube video from one of my favorite YouTube channels called "Top 20 Unintentionally Disturbing Kids' Characters From Around The World" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rJn8RREWYc

There's a number of shows that never aired in the USA listed here, or shows more popular in other countries. And It got me wondering if any of you guys have seen these shows/remember these characters since there's a number of users on this forums for other countries. And maybe some nostalgia can be brought back here. Yes there's going to be two characters of "Sesame Street" but they're ones not shown anymore and haven't for a while. The video is 27 minutes long so to save you time, I'm going to do the work and list out the characters, shows, rankings, and time frame from where in the video it was in:

20. 0:45 The Boobahs from "Boobah."
19. 1:56 The puppets from "The Wiggles."
18. 3:13 Fofão from "The Island of Dr. Moreau."
17. 4:17 Sasuga Minami from "Miburi TV."
16. 5:02 The flute from "H.R. Pufnstuf."
15. 6:06 The Groke from "The Moomins."
14. 8:01 Mr. Blobby from "Noel's House Party."
13. 9:09 Mummenschanz from "The Muppet Show."
12. 10:35 The phone from "Téléchat."
11. 11:41 Morso from "Morso."
10. 12:38 Karbonkel from "Ik, Mik, Loreland."
9. 13:34 Ananas from "Téléfrançais."
8. 14:28 Hartley Hare from "Pipkins."
7. 16:29 The Walrus from "Pingu."
6. 17:48 Psalty from "Psalty's Songs for Little Praisers."
5. 18:55 The puppets from "Peppermint Park."
4. 20:58 Wizbit from "Wizbit."
3. 22:41 Rat'Afák Plachta from "Slniečko."
2. 23:28 Nobody from "Sesame Street."
1. 24:54 Mr. Noseybonk from "Jigsaw."

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I just watched this vid.

Some comments.

20. The Boobahs seem to be Teletubbies V.1. the failed version. OTOH I found the concept of TV for pre verbal children darn odd to begin with. Fortunately, my grandkids never liked them. Cam at that age wanted to rock out to the TV commercial that was done to I Want to Get Away by Lenny Kravitz. Maddy just ignored TV when she was pre-speech.

16. My kids liked HR Puffenstuff and loved Witchypoo. I don't remember the image of the flute particularly.

13. The Muppet Show was the prime time version of Jim Henson's schtick. It was not exclusively or even primarily for children. Yes, Mummenschanz is not an act for kiddies. But it is not like it was on Sesame Street.

6. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kids'_Praise!_albums
What is most distressing about this one is that it is aimed at children of evangelicals. Psalty is short for psalter, a psalm book. This for me makes the pervy stuff even more appalling.

2. Nobody from Sesame Street is just terrifying. Jim Henson should have resisted the temptation to include him.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Now, I have to admit, I haven't watched the whole video yet. I just wound through to the bits about programmes that I have seen.

So, thank you so much for giving us the bookmarks, cheerknithanson!!! :bow: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

20. The Boobahs seem to be Teletubbies V.1. the failed version. OTOH I found the concept of TV for pre verbal children darn odd to begin with. Fortunately, my grandkids never liked them. Cam at that age wanted to rock out to the TV commercial that was done to I Want to Get Away by Lenny Kravitz. Maddy just ignored TV when she was pre-speech.

Right track, but wrong direction. The Teletubbies came first, and the Boobah's were ITV's attempt to copy them. Maybe it was because I was too old when the Boobah's came along (I was, erm, 18...), but I never saw the point from the clips I saw. At least the Teletubbies seemed to have a point.

13. The Muppet Show was the prime time version of Jim Henson's schtick. It was not exclusively or even primarily for children. Yes, Mummenschanz is not an act for kiddies. But it is not like it was on Sesame Street.

Incidentally, "Noel's House Party" was not a children's show either.

Nevertheless, I absolutely loved Noel's House party when I was a child! Saturday nights were brilliant in the 90's. You would have your evening meal, then you would watch "Gladiators" on ITV, then "Noel's House Party" on BBC1, and then go to bed! Bliss!

And I didn't find Mr. Blobby disturbing. Yes, he did go too far a lot of the time. But, that was the whole fun of it.

Mr Blobby even got the Christmas number 1 in 1993 with his self-titled song. And another version of it was released in 1996 called ""Mr. Blobby & the Smurfs" (No prizes for guessing who this was a duet between!)

Noel is best known nowadays for presenting the UK version of "Deal Or No Deal". Which is way better than the American version! ;)

2. Nobody from Sesame Street is just terrifying. Jim Henson should have resisted the temptation to include him.

I loved Sesame Street too, but I am too young to remember "Nobody". But, from the clips in this video, yes he does seem very disturbing!

4. 20:58 Wizbit from "Wizbit."

I loved Wizbit! Hey, I had this rabbit cuddly toy which I named after Wooly, and my Mum made a Wizbit out of a Corn Flakes packet to accompany him!

Here's a full episode (Oh, the theme song!)

The video only talks about Wizbit and Wooly. But, the star of the show was magician Paul Daniels. I was a massive fan of Paul Daniels growing up.

By the way, the day after this video was uploaded, it was announced that Paul Daniels had an incurable brain tumour (story on BBC website). :cry:

Didn't watch any of the other programmes.

But, for me, the most disturbing thing about the video was one of the narrators! So sinister sounding! :eek:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No problem! Now I HAVE seen "Sesame Street" (Of course I did. Who didn't lol. I mean like it's been around for 46 years and counting) and "Boobah." I saw Boobah only because back in 2005-2006, my family friend's daughter (The family friend was me and my brother's nanny from when we were babies. She's not so much our nanny anymore, but she stays still when my parents work and helps around the house and take me places since I don't drive (I'm scared of driving lol)) was 1-2 at the time and she used to watch it. The Boobahs weren't creepy to me, just slightly weird.

And I have seen "Pingu" for the same reasons as above. But I never saw that episode.

Now the Nobody character I have NOT seen, but then again, it was the 60's-70's when that character appeared. And things have changed on what was considered okay for kids shows. Like back in the 50's, they were allowed to show smoking. The way that character acted seems like a drug dealer.

Now I wanted to show these shows cause a lot of them were aired when most of you posters were kids or when your kids were kids. So I thought there's a chance you might have seen these shows.

By the way, are there any posters on this thread from Finland who saw the show "Morso?" Because I couldn't find any info on Wikipedia about it and it seems obscure.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
6. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kids'_Praise!_albums
What is most distressing about this one is that it is aimed at children of evangelicals. Psalty is short for psalter, a psalm book. This for me makes the pervy stuff even more appalling.

I looked it up too because I wanted to see how old it was. I had a feeling it meant "psalms" as Psalty began with "Ps." And it was about songs.

Like why not use a puppet for a doll? Or make it a cartoon?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
A psalm is a praise song, hence the little Praisers.

So the Praisers need their psalter. Hence Psalty. Very literalist.

Aimed at the same sort of parents as the Duggars, I would suspect.

Last edited:

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think I'm going to be very sorry that I bumped into this thread - LOL! Some of those characters are creepy enough to cause nightmares and I just might have one tonight.

The only show I recall is HR Pufnstuff because Jack Wild was one of the heartthrobs of the 70s. I never cared for the show but my best friend did. The theme was something like "H R Pufnstuff. He's your friend when things get rough. . .can't do a little cus he can't do enough."

I feel so old. . .

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think I'm going to be very sorry that I bumped into this thread - LOL! Some of those characters are creepy enough to cause nightmares and I just might have one tonight.

The only show I recall is HR Pufnstuff because Jack Wild was one of the heartthrobs of the 70s. I never cared for the show but my best friend did. The theme was something like "H R Pufnstuff. He's your friend when things get rough. . .can't do a little cus he can't do enough."

I feel so old. . .

No problem! Thanks for bumping it up!

My mom sung part of it to me one morning a few weeks ago, and was like, "Is it weird that I remember it?" And I was like, "Nah."

My mom is 54 though.