HELP! Hypermobility and overpronation | Golden Skate

HELP! Hypermobility and overpronation

starrysnowflake

Spectator
Hello! I'm new here and looking for some help!

I've been skating for about a year now and am struggling to progress as I have extremely fallen arches (overpronation). On top of this I have really bad hypermobility in my ankles and my feet (left foot especially) roll inwards meaning I can't hold an outside edge, balance on one foot or spin AT ALL as my arches are so bad.

I have tried off the shelf insoles and even visited multiple podiatrists who have made me custom orthotic sports insoles and visited a skate shop who specifically makes skating insoles all of which cause sharp pain in my arches and I can't skate for more than 15 minutes at a time. Even then my ankles roll inwards and I'm always on an inside edge and still can't skate straight.

I've tried strengthening exercises and they haven't helped and I'm not really sure what else to do, however, I'm thinking my boots may not be helping. I'm currently using Edea Overtures and I know Edea are made for their flexibility so I'm thinking if I changed to a stiffer boot it would give me more support? But I don't know where to start! It's so bad I may not be able to skate anymore.

I would appreciate recommendations or any advice you think may help!

paigelizzy

Spectator
Hey there! I’m a figure skater with eds (which causes SEVERE hyper mobility) and I struggled with the same issues! Though I haven’t yet figured out a insole i’m completely happy with, I will say that wearing stiffer skates did help me a lot. It’s not so much the edea’a back and forth flexibility that harms my ankles, but the side to side motion that i found in lower level boots. I currently skate in ice flies and they do wonders for me, but they are quite expensive. You might prefer a traditional skating boot for more stiffness in a more affordable way. Another thing I would recommend is physical therapy- it helped me strengthen my ankles a lot so that I could handle the bending and straightening without dislocations.

Elija

On the Ice
Have you had your blades adjusted? The blades can be moved right to the inside of the boot, which should help you get on an outside edge. Generally this should be done when you first get the boots before they’re permanently mounted, but if they’re overtures I’m guessing they may have come with the blade. Holes can be plugged though if they’ve all been drilled, so talk to a skate tech about remounting (if you didn’t already have this done when you got them). Ideally they will watch you skate and can adjust from there.

starrysnowflake

Spectator
Have you had your blades adjusted? The blades can be moved right to the inside of the boot, which should help you get on an outside edge. Generally this should be done when you first get the boots before they’re permanently mounted, but if they’re overtures I’m guessing they may have come with the blade. Holes can be plugged though if they’ve all been drilled, so talk to a skate tech about remounting (if you didn’t already have this done when you got them). Ideally they will watch you skate and can adjust from there.
Thanks for your reply! Yes when I first got them the blades did come with the boot but I went to a technician and I had the blades adjusted and the boot heat moulded too. They said that was as much as they could do but it didn't seem to make a difference sadly.

starrysnowflake

Spectator
Hey there! I’m a figure skater with eds (which causes SEVERE hyper mobility) and I struggled with the same issues! Though I haven’t yet figured out a insole i’m completely happy with, I will say that wearing stiffer skates did help me a lot. It’s not so much the edea’a back and forth flexibility that harms my ankles, but the side to side motion that i found in lower level boots. I currently skate in ice flies and they do wonders for me, but they are quite expensive. You might prefer a traditional skating boot for more stiffness in a more affordable way. Another thing I would recommend is physical therapy- it helped me strengthen my ankles a lot so that I could handle the bending and straightening without dislocations.
It's nice to know I'm not the only one! I find insoles do little help and cause a lot of pain in the arches so I think a stiffer boot would definitely help keep everything upright. I would try ice flies if it helped even though I would be a bit self conscious feeling like I've overbooted when I can barely skate as it is because of everything.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks for your reply! Yes when I first got them the blades did come with the boot but I went to a technician and I had the blades adjusted and the boot heat moulded too. They said that was as much as they could do but it didn't seem to make a difference sadly.
For extreme pronation, you'll likely need a combination of corrective orthotics, corrective blade placement, and corrective shimming. Here's an informative article written by a sports podiatrist: "Podiatric Management in Ice Skating". It can be downloaded from: https://www.aapsm.org/sports-interest-articles.html; scroll down to "Ice Skating". Good luck!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I would recommend a boot that hugs the ankle, in the way that Edeas do not. A proper fitting with a reputable fitter should help, to make sure you have the right boot and blade combination, plus any custom insoles, blade placement, shimming, etc. Maybe some physical therapy, too. Do you pronate in life outside skating?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Everything that has been suggested above by @WednesdayMarch and @tstop4me as well as wearing slip over the foot elastic ankle braces and bunga pads. I've worn these ankle braces for years after ankle injuries (both ankles at different times) due to high arches and pronation issues.

Also, you do NOT need an ice fly, even if edea was the right brand for you.

starrysnowflake

Spectator
I would recommend a boot that hugs the ankle, in the way that Edeas do not. A proper fitting with a reputable fitter should help, to make sure you have the right boot and blade combination, plus any custom insoles, blade placement, shimming, etc. Maybe some physical therapy, too. Do you pronate in life outside skating?
Yes I do overpronate even in outside life too. Would you have any boot recommendations by any chance?

starrysnowflake

Spectator
For extreme pronation, you'll likely need a combination of corrective orthotics, corrective blade placement, and corrective shimming. Here's an informative article written by a sports podiatrist: "Podiatric Management in Ice Skating". It can be downloaded from: https://www.aapsm.org/sports-interest-articles.html; scroll down to "Ice Skating". Good luck!
Oh wow thank you! I have never heard of shimming before. I contacted my skate technicians to ask them but even they hadn't heard of it and they're one of the best in my country.

starrysnowflake

Spectator
Everything that has been suggested above by @WednesdayMarch and @tstop4me as well as wearing slip over the foot elastic ankle braces and bunga pads. I've worn these ankle braces for years after ankle injuries (both ankles at different times) due to high arches and pronation issues.

Also, you do NOT need an ice fly, even if edea was the right brand for you.
Thanks for the help! I haven't tried ankle braces but have tried sports tape which didn't work. Can I ask why an ice fly wouldn't help if it's a stiffer boot?

Vicki7

On the Ice
Jumping in to say that as someone with flat feet and much milder pronation than yourself, I had to get out of Edea full stop. Although an ice fly is a stiffer boot, Edea boots aren’t designed to hug your ankle like a more traditional boot is, so you’d have a boot that was way too advanced for you, but with the same issue around the ankle.

Honestly, when the padding on my overtures started to break down, I could barely do crossovers. Get yourself to a good fitter and try some other brands. Your feet and ankles will thank you.

starrysnowflake

Spectator
Jumping in to say that as someone with flat feet and much milder pronation than yourself, I had to get out of Edea full stop. Although an ice fly is a stiffer boot, Edea boots aren’t designed to hug your ankle like a more traditional boot is, so you’d have a boot that was way too advanced for you, but with the same issue around the ankle.

Honestly, when the padding on my overtures started to break down, I could barely do crossovers. Get yourself to a good fitter and try some other brands. Your feet and ankles will thank you.
Oh wow! Can I ask what boots you switched to and what you would recommend?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for the help! I haven't tried ankle braces but have tried sports tape which didn't work. Can I ask why an ice fly wouldn't help if it's a stiffer boot?
Because Edea doesn't fit snug in the ankles like traditional boots and ice fly is simply too highly rated boot for your level even if they would have worked for your foot (which we've established they won't).

What is your skill level? Cannot suggest boots without knowing that and possibly height/weight.

starrysnowflake

Spectator
Because Edea doesn't fit snug in the ankles like traditional boots and ice fly is simply too highly rated boot for your level even if they would have worked for your foot (which we've established they won't).

What is your skill level? Cannot suggest boots without knowing that and possibly height/weight.
At the moment I'm doing singles and starting on doubles. I'm around 5'6 / 5'7 and 130lbs. Thanks so much for your help!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
At the moment I'm doing singles and starting on doubles. I'm around 5'6 / 5'7 and 130lbs. Thanks so much for your help!
Look at Risport RF3Pro and Jackson Elite 5300. Those should be stiff enough for your height/weight needs as well as stiff enough to support your hypermobile ankles while learning doubles. You didn't really mention (IIRC) if you have narrow, wide or split width needs for your feet, if they were more narrow then I'd also suggest Graf boots for you (style can be mentioned if they apply to your needs, just ask me ;) ).

Pair your boots with Intermediate MK PRO or JW CORONATION ACE blades and you should be good to go! Please also look into those elastic ankle braces, they will help you alot!

Good luck! :)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Yes I do overpronate even in outside life too. Would you have any boot recommendations by any chance?
Whatever fits your foot and keeps your ankle snugly supported! It's unlikely to be any model of Edea because of the way they are constructed. Personally, I'm a fan of Risport, Jackson and Graf but it really is horses for courses.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Hijacking this thread temporarily to ask those who know - are Risport not loose-ish around the ankles the way Edeas are? I was under the impression they are.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hijacking this thread temporarily to ask those who know - are Risport not loose-ish around the ankles the way Edeas are? I was under the impression they are.
No they are not. Edea are one of a kind in that department.