Highs, lows, favorite moments at the Olympics | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Highs, lows, favorite moments at the Olympics

MizukiS

Rinkside
I wonder why some of her fans can't follow her lead and be classy and graceful even in (wrongful) defeat?

Why the wonder? I'm sure you're not naive to think that everyone is built the same. People wil always have different opinion and reactions no matter who they idolize or whether they're fans or not. Just look at this board and tell me if fans always reflect the skater they like.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Highs

The Team Event - really liked seeing the teams' support of each other
Jason Brown's SP and skating last in the FS
Mao's FS
Hanyu's SP
Dai's gorgeous FS
Akiko's final FS
Ashley's attack during S&D
V/M's final Olympics and trying to win their second OGM
Likewise with Yuna
Adelina fighting back after being left out of the team event
Polina Edmunds making the Top 10 at her first Sr Int'l event
Carolina Kostner's SP and her medal
The Gala
Johnny & Tara's fun fashion and insightful commentary (except during Ice Dancing)
Dick Button's Twitter commentary
BBC live streaming

Lows
All of the questionable judging and ISU/IOC's refusal to do anything about it
The men's LP splatfest
Mao in 16th after the SP
People getting nasty with each other on this board
People getting nasty to Adelina via social media
Perving on Yulia
Partisan skating audience

magicalwords

On the Ice
High
Mao, Carolina, and Yuna all going clean and finishing their career on a high note (well, except Mao who's still competing in Worlds :party:)
Hanyu's SP
Ashley's face
Ice dance
Denis Ten winning a medal :clap:
D/R SP in Team Event

Low
Men's LP in general
Judging :disapp:
Audience
Plushenko withdrawing

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Favorite moment: the gala.:clap::clap:
:agree: It looked like all the skaters had a great time and it was so nice to see them skate freely without any pressure! The gala was lovely and reminded me why I love figure skating. The competitions and medals are nice, but it's the skating itself that keeps me coming back for more.

campbellka

Rinkside
Here are my highs and lows from the Olympics, overall:

HIGHS
*Gracie Gold's Olympic debut. If she can fine-tune some things, she'll be unstoppable in four year's time.
*V/T's short and long programs. So full of emotion, and it was great to see the end result, after all of the hard work and struggle. Additionally, this was like their "coming out" Olympics. So many displays of affection, on the ice, off the ice, on Twitter & Tumblr. They are really soulmates. I love it! :love:
*The debut of the slopestyle sports. Was really interesting to see how each of them make their runs unique.
*The figure skating team competition really held my interest. It was a fun format. I hope we get it again in 2018.
*The Ukraine being there, in the middle of all of this turmoil, and being excited. The gold medal winners in biathlon concluded their games in a great way.
*The ambiguity behind Gus Kenworthy & Gracie Gold. He alluded to the fact that they were dating on the Today show to Matt Lauer on Valentine's Day, but I think during the Olympics, maybe had to keep it on the down low because of the competitive focus factor. Still, I am curious to see if they are seeing each other, and I'll guess we'll find out in the next few months. He's a cutie, and such a great skier. :)
*Realizing that both Davis & White and Virtue & Moir have been skating together for 17 years, started at the same time in 1997. That is a partnership! I enjoyed watching clips of them when they were young, competing. Adorable!

LOWS
*The absence of Bob Costas from the anchor desk. I always count on seeing him every time the Olympics come around, and it was too bad that he had such an eye infection.
*U.S. pairs not being at the same level as a few others in the field. Something needs to change to get them there. I don't even know what it's like to have a top pair from the U.S. anymore. It's not the days of Meno/Sand or Ina/Dungjen.
*U.S. speedskaters not medaling, the silver in short-track withstanding. Don't know what the issue was, but that was a shocker. Even more so was that the Dutch excelled.
*I was expecting some other coverage, not just about Nancy & Tonya, from the 1994 Games. Maybe a feature on G & G, or an interview with Katia since she is from Russia, or an update, or something.
*Shaun White not doing a three-peat.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

HIGHS

*The ambiguity behind Gus Kenworthy & Gracie Gold. He alluded to the fact that they were dating on the Today show to Matt Lauer on Valentine's Day, but I think during the Olympics, maybe had to keep it on the down low because of the competitive focus factor. Still, I am curious to see if they are seeing each other, and I'll guess we'll find out in the next few months. He's a cutie, and such a great skier. :)

Woah, really? Seems kind of random. When would they have crossed paths prior to the Olympics? Unless they hit a love connection AT the Olympics.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Woah, really? Seems kind of random. When would they have crossed paths prior to the Olympics? Unless they hit a love connection AT the Olympics.

I have no idea whether Kenworthy and Gold are or ever were an item ... I do not really care either way ... wish each of them the best. (He seems like a great athlete and nice guy -- I love his love for dogs.)

All that said, to answer Mrs. P's question: it is possible that they had crossed paths earlier at the spring and/or autumn Team USA pre-Olympic media summits for all Sochi sports. Although all the athletes were kept very busy with their media obligations, they seemed to enjoy whatever mingling they could squeeze in with those from other sports.

Or as you say, maybe K and G became acquainted at the Games. I recall that Gold tweeted a two-shot of herself with him as they awaited the Opening Ceremony -- which could mean absolutely nothing, of course.

campbellka

Rinkside
I have no idea whether Kenworthy and Gold are or ever were an item ... I do not really care either way ... wish each of them the best. (He seems like a great athlete and nice guy -- I love his love for dogs.)

All that said, to answer Mrs. P's question: it is possible that they had crossed paths earlier at the spring and/or autumn pre-Olympic media summits for all Sochi sports. Although all the athletes were kept very busy with their media obligations, they seemed to enjoy whatever mingling they could squeeze in with those from other sports.

Or as you say, maybe K and G became acquainted at the Games. I recall that Gold tweeted a two-shot of herself with him as they awaited the Opening Ceremony -- which could mean absolutely nothing, of course.

I think Gus said they had met through a mutual sponsor before the Games.

Angryyew

Rinkside
Highs:

Back to back to back great performances by Kostner, Sotnikiva & Kim
Asada's LP
Shiffrin's slalom gold
Cute Jason Brown moments
Women's gold medal hockey match
Sweden's come from behind win in one of the cross country relays
Ted liggity's giant slalom win
Russia sweeping the podium in the 50KM cross country on the last day of competition
Dutch speedskating dominance
Tara & Johnny
Jeremy getting back up and finishing
Plushy in the TE
Julia in the TE
Pikus-Pace winning a medal in skeleton

Lows:

Bodie's downhill
Shaun White's half pipe crash
Asada's SP
Jeremy's TE
Plushy withdrawal
Men's LP
judging controversy
USA speedskating suck fest
USA men's hockey failing to score a single goal in final two games

All in all, I enjoyed these games and the highs were higher than the lows were low.

nycskate2014

Rinkside

HIGHS

*I was expecting some other coverage, not just about Nancy & Tonya, from the 1994 Games. Maybe a feature on G & G, or an interview with Katia since she is from Russia, or an update, or something.

No Katia at all...I could not believe that they not have her at the games