Yuna performing beautifully under pressure
Plushy in the TE

Lows:
The amount of falls in the men's event
Julia and Mao in the ladies event. Heartbreaking :cry:
Plushy's retirement

phaeljones

On the Ice
I agree with most of the above, confirming, adding or modifying (as should be apparent), by the following:

highs:
- seeing Kevin Reynolds skate the free skate for the team event better, I think, than he has ever skated in his life even though he missed the whole first part of the season;
- seeing Plushenko skate, and seeing and reading of his interaction with the younger skaters Brown and Hanyu;
- watching both V/M and D/W skate so beautifully;
- seeing Hanyu's reaction when he won OGM;
- being able to look pass the rigged scoring and enjoy so many of the skates because they were so great;
- seeing Denis Ten get the podium.

lows:
- rigged judging generally (even if it did not make a difference in the placements in some disciplines, this matters) but especially in the ladies where the results were plainly wrong.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Highs:
Yuzuru Hanyu's record breaking SP -- It goes without saying. Sassy! Loved it. :)
Jason Brown's SP -- I am so thrilled he got into the final group -- Even as a fan I've underestimated his prospects all season so it's great to see him rise to the occasion.
Peter Liebers SP -- surprising himself and everyone with a top 5 finish!
Daisuke Takahashi FS -- Even with the mistakes, he reminded us yet again why we :love: him so.
Davis and White winning all their segments (team/individual) with four great dances
Virtue and Moir keeping things interesting in the individual event with a great SD/FD.
Volozoshar/Trankov's SP -- Love the music and the elements were of high quality
Savchenko/Szolkozy SP -- love Pink Panther
Mao Asada's FS - I cried at the footwork. I love the fight and resolve she had.
Yuna Kim SP/FS -- Loved that she could just come back and perform two very lovely performances, regardless of the result
Carolina SP/FS -- A comeback of sorts for her as well
Adelina SP/FS -- Regardless of the result, again, I admire her for bringing it at this Olympics.
Shibutanis SD -- Best all season!
Castelli/Shnapir turning in four personal bests!
Gracie Gold -- Solid Team FS -- I really love the change in her mental game.
Ashley Wagner -- FS -- A good move to change back...she had a lot of attack and passion, even if it wasn't the most technical of programs.
Polina Edmunds making a solid international debut AT THE OLYMPICS
Misha Ge FS -- Just an entertainer!
In general, I enjoyed the Men's SP, Pairs SP, Ice Dance SD/FD and the Ladies FS (yes, even with the questionable judging)

Lows
-- The judging, even if the placements were correct. In addition to the Russian inflation, I felt the judges were also very inconsistent with technical calls and PCS marks.
-- The audience. So partisan. Though they were supportive of some non-Russian skaters
-- Mao Asada's SP; heart breaking
-- Shibutanis FD; so sad to hear about their wardrobe malfunction
-- Vitriol aimed at the winners due to a disagreement with the result (namely D/W & Adelina)

Favorite moments
-- Jason Brown's Olympic Valentine! (Sooo cute).....Really seeing Jason Brown just seeing THE OLYMPICS was awesome
-- Felicia Zhang looking adorable than ever.
-- Davis and White at the podium. I have never seen demure Meryl Davis SMILE THAT BIG. I loved it!
-- Seeing Adelina running (good job camera ga) to find her mom after she won OGM. Even if you didn't agree with the result, you had to be cold not to be touched by the hug and tears they shared.
-- Shibutanis capturing all the fun moments!
-- The spirit of all the teams during the team event. The concept needs work, but I enjoyed watching!

Good idea for a thread....have to say writing it all down, I realize I enjoyed this even more than I realized. Despite my misgivings about the event, I still LOVE figure skating and figure skating at the Olympics. But I have to say I'm glad it's over because I need to be productive again!!

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Highs: (not really in any order, except for 1.!!)

1. Mao Asada's LP: Yes, yes, yes! Figure skating never made me cry until now, but this time I really had to hold it in! That was one amazing awesome freakin' badass Gangbuster LP she did there! Loveliest, angelic little butterfly on ice spiting out BV like nobodies bussiness and proofing she's one of the greatest skaters ever, medal or not. That's my favorite skate of the whole Olympics, and I'll rewatch it for all eternity. So proud to be a Mao fan!

2. Yuzuru Hanyus's SP: goes without saying I guess.

3. Daisuke Takahashi skating so much better than anyone could hope, and even making me like that weird LP (Lori, really, whut?!). Again, so proud to be fan!

4. Jason Brown, especially the SP. That young man is a real showman and he'll continue to make fans everywhere cheer their lungs out for him within seconds.

5. Carolina Kostner leaving her Olympic demons in the dust and probably having the best competition of her life.

6. Yuna Kim coming back like the queen she is and always was and skating 2 great programs.

7. Adelina Sotnikova kicking her critics butts by skating the best she ever has! (*not looking at the scores*)

8. Weaver/Poje's FD, which was definitly the hottest moment of the whole Olympics.

9. Pang/Tong and all their unbelieveable magic.

10. Stolbova/Klimov's LP, they really brought the house down!

Also, Han Yan doing so great in his first big event, Denis Ten coming back from 9th to medal, Ashley Wagner proofing her haters wrong, Akiko Suzuki just existing, and some more, probably.
I'd add more from the team event too, but my memory is too weak to remember all the great things from there right now "xD

Lows:

The judging (of course). But even more so, the sad faces from some of the skaters. Aliona crying on the podium. Florent Amodio nearly breaking down after his performance. Javier missing the podium by such a small margin. Patrick looking as if he had cried at the flower ceremony. Julia looking so angry with herself after her skates (and nobody hugged her - how can you not want to hug her?). I wished everyone could be happy at the end, but that's never possible.

Favorite moments:

Yuzurus reaction to the SP score (and that lovely lady next to him, she was amazing! :biggrin: ), and the moment he found out that he won.
Daisukes smile throughout his LP :love:
Mao's reaction to her LP.
Adelinas reaction to her win and Carolina being the nicest lady in the world concratulating her instantly. And that High5 on the podium was so cute!
That picture from Jason and Yuzu watching the ladies LP together!

noskates

Record Breaker
Highs? Watching Jason Brown skate on Olympic ice even though he didn't have a perfect skate. Future! Future! Future! The possibilities are limitless. Mao Asada's long program. It was beautiful and I teared up at the end of it. She is a true champion. Charlie and Meryl every time they stepped on the ice and every time they were on camera with the media. True champions, humble, happy, well-spoken and great representatives of the USA. Polina Edmunds and all the hope and promise of the future (altho Gracie is my favorite) Listening to Johnny Weir.

Lows. The bitching and whining and complaining about the judging in the press and on this board. It truly has ruined this event for me.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Lots of great highs and only a few lows, but the lows have pretty much ruined it for me...

Highs:
- Julia's SP & FS in the team event
- Kaetlyn's SP in the team event
- Yuzuru's SP in both events
- Jason Brown's SP
- Jeremy continuing his SP after that fall
- Jeremy's FS
- Daisuke's FS
- Davis/White winning gold
- Ashley's "not pleased face"
- Gracie's FS in the team event
- Ilinykh/Katsalapov's FD
- Carolina's SP in the team event
- Carolina's SP & FS in the individual event
- Mao's FS
- Yu-Na's SP & FS
- Adelina's SP & FS
- Valentina's FS in both events
- How Carolina, Mao and Adelina proved everyone wrong by skating so strongly
- All three US ladies in the top 10
- Ashley being the only US lady to stay on her feet in the FS
- Tweeting live while watching (so entertaining and fun)
- Being able to watch skating every single day for almost a full two weeks.

Lows:
- Lack of strong skating in the men's event
- Mao's SP (broke my heart)
- Akiko's SP & FS
- Jeremy's SP
- Julia's SP & FS (I'm not even a huge fan of hers but knowing how she's been skating all year, that was shocking)
- All of the over-emotional crying/whining about the scoring
- All of the over-emotional crying/whining about how rude the Russian crowd was
- The very mean/hurtful/nasty mood towards Adelina (like she did something wrong...)

I agree with noskates. I was very happy with the way everyone skated in the ladies event and while I find the judging questionable, I'm not 1/16th as outraged as some people, who seem to have taken offense to Yu-Na's gold medal snub as if it were done to them personally. If Yu-Na wanted to she could file a complaint against the judging/results and, because she is Yu-Na Kim, they'd have no choice but honor it and investigate. Yu-Na has accepted the outcome without demanding re-judging, filing petitions, slamming people in the media, launching attacks on other skaters, crying, whining and acting like the world was coming to an end. I'm sure she's upset and hurt...but she conducts herself with dignity and class and doesn't come down off of her throne (ie. doesn't stoop to the level some people are).:thumbsup:

I wonder why some of her fans can't follow her lead and be classy and graceful even in (wrongful) defeat?

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
These are in no particular order.

HIGHS
- Julia Team SP and Team FS
- D&R Team SP
- Carolina skating well and getting on the podium; her SP was so beautiful
- Gracie Team FS
- Ice Dance individual (Beautiful skating from many teams, especially the medalists. Ice Dance will never be the same again without the D&W/V&M rivalry).
- Yuna SP and FS (I don't like her FS, but she fought so hard for it). She's now a 2-Time Olympic Medalist!
- Mao FS
- Abbott finishing his individual SP after the fall
- Abbott FS
- Yuzuru both SPs
- Patrick individual SP
- V&T both SPs
- S&K unexpectedly skating so well (they weren't even on my radar before!)
- C&S getting so close on the Throw 4S
- Gracie, Ashley, and Polina having such a respectable showing
- Jason being in the final group and being so thrilled with the whole Olympic experience
- Kevin Reynolds skating so well in the Team FS
- Denis Ten winning the bronze medal
- P&T skating well in their last competition

LOWS
- Patrick FS and his evident disappointment afterward
- Yuzuru FS (if he was going to beat Patrick, I hoped it would be because he skated lights out)
- Watching most of the men struggle in the FS
- Abbott Team SP
- S&S FS (it's a beautiful program, but the mistakes took all the life out of it; being third again must be so hard for them)
- Mao individual SP
- That fans get so out of whack over judging (for heaven's sake, IT'S ONLY FIGURE SKATING!!!)

As I look at the list I've just typed out, my highs outnumber my lows, and yet the lows were so low that in many ways this was still a sad Olympics for me. Vancouver felt so perfect and everybody skated well who was expected to. The Canadian crowd gave those Olympics such a warm feel. This Olympics left me with a completely different feeling. There were many memorable moments in Sochi, but looking back, I enjoyed Vancouver a lot more.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
HIGHS
- The team event. It was great to see Canada get a silver and the United States get bronze, plus many people skated so well. It was also nice to see Plushenko skate well although I will now remain silent about what I think of his withdrawal from the individual competition!
- Julia Lipnitskaya - although not a medalist individually, she was super-adorable and skated so well in the team competition.
- Carolina Kostner's bronze medal.
- Mao Asada bringing herself all the way back up from 16th place to 6th in the ladies' free skate.
- Stolbova/Klimov's surprising ascent to 2nd place. I don't think anyone can say they didn't deserve their score, no matter how they feel about other Russians' scores.
- The free skate of Moore-Towers and Moscovitch.. so joyous, even though they didn't medal! Doesn't really deserve its own "line," but Paige Lawrence saying that she wanted to stay on the ice forever and bow to everyone was quite amusing.
- Both programs of Castelli/Shnapir in the individual comp - is US pairs skating back?
- Denis Ten's bronze.
- Peter Liebers' and Jason Brown's ascents into the top 10, even though neither skated perfectly.
- Jeremy Abbott getting up and continuing, landing all his jumps after that nasty fall.

LOWS
- Jeremy Abbott taking the bad fall to begin with.
- Plushenko's withdrawal.
- Hanyu and Chan both imploding in the men's free.
- Savchenko/Szolkowy imploding in the pairs' free and getting "only" a bronze.
- Pechalat/Bourzat finishing just off the podium.
- The rumours of a judging fix.
- Mao in 16th place after the short program, falling out of medal contention, although she didn't end up finishing in THAT bad of a position.
- Viktoria Helgesson, Jenna McCorkell, and Kemp/King missing the free skate (although I don't know who I would have wanted out so K/K could skate.. I just feel sorry for them because it seems they regressed in recent years and can't manage to nail a clean program).

Yuko & Alexander's absence was sad, but I won't count it as a real low because the lows should really involve people that actually were at the Olympics.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
highs:
* me discovering figure skating :yay: I have never watched any sports event voluntarily because I found it all so boring - but turns out, this one's actually fun! (although it's gonna take me some time to understand the rules. plus, I'll definitely need to make a list of abbreviations)
anyways, like I said, I really have no idea what I'm talking about, but other things I liked:
* Yuzuru Hanyu. His SP was just amazing. He's officially my new favorite thing ever! (I might actually need therapy to get over this late-blooming fangirl-attack, but I so don't care)
* Mao's FS was also amazing and so beautiful. In the end she almost made me cry with her. I'm glad she went out with a bang.
* Yuna Kim keeping her cool and delivering two beautiful performances (and simply being one classy lady)
* Polina Edmunds. That girl just always looked genuinely happy. Which made me smile.
* Misha Ge. Also looked like he was really enjoying himself. So much fun to watch him do his thing.
* already looking forward to the exhibition tomorrow :biggrin: from what I've heard about it so far, it should be fun

lows:
* people taking it out on Adelina that they don't like the end result. I don't care how much one hates the outcome, personally attacking a 17-year-old who has nothing to do with the judging :disagree: not cool.
* the audience seemed weird. I don't know, I have zero experience in this regard but the way people (re)acted most of the time..... it just felt really really uncomfortable and sometimes they were just plain rude

nycskate2014

Rinkside
High
Yuna - perfect, beautiful as always
Little Yulia - the next star
Mao - nice comeback
Adelina - not happy about her gold, but she did nice to say the FU to her team
Carolina - a masterpiece

The low
Cansdaian papers not being good sports
Russia audience -p not sports....no clapping for others who are not Russia...and Sochi horrible place, filthy, dirty, streets filled with crap of cat and dog
Judges - corrupt
Gracie Gold and Ashley Wagner - not good sports, very gauche

usethis2

Medalist
High

Yuna's SP
Mao's FS
Yuzuru's SP

I was also pleasantly surprised by Adelina and Gracie's performances. (Not counting their media appearances)

--------

Low

Judging
Judging
Judging

And media frenzy on Yulia (with special focus on her age and her leg spread)
Elene Gedevanishvili not receiving +6 GOE for her successfully landed jumps.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
highs:
* me discovering figure skating :yay: I have never watched any sports event voluntarily because I found it all so boring - but turns out, this one's actually fun! (although it's gonna take me some time to understand the rules. plus, I'll definitely need to make a list of abbreviations)
anyways, like I said, I really have no idea what I'm talking about, but other things I liked:
* Yuzuru Hanyu. His SP was just amazing. He's officially my new favorite thing ever! (I might actually need therapy to get over this late-blooming fangirl-attack, but I so don't care)
* Mao's FS was also amazing and so beautiful. In the end she almost made me cry with her. I'm glad she went out with a bang.
* Yuna Kim keeping her cool and delivering two beautiful performances (and simply being one classy lady)
* Polina Edmunds. That girl just always looked genuinely happy. Which made me smile.
* Misha Ge. Also looked like he was really enjoying himself. So much fun to watch him do his thing.
* already looking forward to the exhibition tomorrow :biggrin: from what I've heard about it so far, it should be fun

lows:
* people taking it out on Adelina that they don't like the end result. I don't care how much one hates the outcome, personally attacking a 17-year-old who has nothing to do with the judging :disagree: not cool.
* the audience seemed weird. I don't know, I have zero experience in this regard but the way people (re)acted most of the time..... it just felt really really uncomfortable and sometimes they were just plain rude

Welcome to GS!

And welcome to your new obsession!

As someone new to our sport, you might enjoy some wonderful performances from days gone by. This used to be difficult, but now it's easy with Youtube!

I'm sure others will join in with their recommendations, but a few of my favorite all time performances:

John Curry Olympic Long Program, 1976

Dorothy Hamill, Olympic Short and Long Programs, 1976

Robin Cousins Olympic Short Program, 1980

Torville/Dean iconic Olympic Free Dance to Bolero, 1984

Gordeeva/Grinkov vs Mishkitunik/Demetriev pairs skating battle, Olympic Games, 1994

Michelle Kwan, US Nationals Short and Long Programs, 1998

I actually envy you! You have a chance to watch these for the very first time! Savor the moments!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
highs:

lows:

So glad you discovered the joys of figure skating! I'm new to GS but have been watching and loving skating for many years; would like to to second all of TontoK's recommendations and add a few more, all from the 1992 Olympics in Albertville:

ice dance -- Usova/Zhulin and Klimova/Ponomarenko

men's singles -- Paul Wylie

Watch, enjoy, and fall in love!

Pamigena

Record Breaker
thank you so much TontoK and skatedreamer, I will have a look at all of those
(I guess me and youtube are going to continue our standing date for a while longer :popcorn:)

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I remember reading about 3 years ago that Plushy predicted the next OGM would be Hanyu. Looks like he was prescient! I liked how he told Hanyu he liked his skating. Passing the torch! I am glad he did well even though I haven't always been his greatest fan.

Highs
Hanyu's SP
Mao's LP
Daisuke!
Jeremy after fall in SP

Lows
Audience