Holichenko and Darenskyi push forward with nerves of steel | Golden Skate

Holichenko and Darenskyi push forward with nerves of steel

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

When not training, Darenskyi runs a football (soccer) team to collect money for the frontlines of the Ukrainian army.

“Before the war, I played on the Falcon football team,” he explained. “When the war began, half of the team went to serve in the army. A whole squad was wiped out, killed, and at at the moment, two people from the team are in hospital with injuries. I’m now playing on a new team that raises money to help the military. We buy helmets body armor, clothes, and so on. Every Saturday we play in a tournament that collects money and it also helps to distract civilians from the war so that they get some emotion besides the war.”

They are keeping their short from last season, but have a new FS :) Also working on a new lift and death spiral!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So many interesting (and heartbreaking) details in this article:

This past year, Holichenko and Darenskyi did not have much time to train due to the invasion, but they pushed through an exhausting six-day trip through several countries in order to compete in France

Also, now training in Ukraine, in Dnieper? Both of their fathers serving in the defense of their country? And yet they push on for skating.

This is bravery. I have a new favorite pairs team.:hap10:

Vemvane

On the Ice
May they have the very best of luck, both on the ice and off. I hope both of their fathers come home safely.

“City Hall has given us ice for free and this helps very much!” said Darenskyi. “Our goal is to show that there is figure skating in Ukraine and it will develop despite the war. We also want our people to see that athletes are also fighting. We want people to know what is happening in Ukraine.”
“I am motivated and pushed by my friends, relatives and those people who are dear to me,” said Darenskyi. “They really want to see me at competitions and I want to represent my country at many competitions.”

Shows how important international sport can be for morale. I'm glad they're getting support for their competition career in the midst of the war, and that they have this opportunity to perform. Their SP at Worlds was very moving.