Horseracing News | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Horseracing News

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's one more contender for the 3YO Eclipse award: Birdstone. He won the Belmont, and if he wins the Travers, he will have one-up on Lion Heart.

I think 9 furlongs is the limit for Lion Heart. He hung on to win the Haskell, but My Snookies Boy was gaining fast. Birdstone is no speed demon, he is a closer. I'm not sure Birdstone will have that much competition in the Travers. Purge was terrific winning the Jim Dandy, but he probably hit a new high Beyer figure, and the possibility is he may bounce in the Travers. I think Rock Hard Ten bounced after HIS high Beyer in the Swaps, and that's why he ran so poorly in the Haskell. 3 weeks may not be enough time for RHT to recover.

But you never know: some other 3YO could show up and win the Travers. Nick Zito has Pies Prospect, 3rd in the Haskell, Sir Shackleton, who won the WV Derby, and Birdstone. But Pies and Shack aren't in line for the 3YO Eclipse. It will be interesting to see who actually runs in the Travers.

Johar

Medalist
Did any of you see Monkey Puzzle run at Saratoga on August 2nd? He finished 4th that day. Real nasty-tempered horse from what someone told me.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I missed seeing the races on August 2nd (forgot to put on TiVo). I'm only at the Spa from Friday through Sunday then have to leave to get back to work. I won't be at Saratoga this weekend, either, as I'm going to Philly Park Saturday to see Smarty Jones in person.

euterpe

Medalist
I was so disappointed that Pollard's Vision didn't win the West Virginia Derby. But maybe there's an upside to that. If he won TOO many races, he'd be off to the breeding shed. I think we can look forward to the one-eyed wonder for a few more years. His best races may be yet to come. At least I hope so. :rolleye:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Arlington Million goes off this Saturday at Arlington in Chicago. Runners include:

1) Mr. O'Brien, 8-1, Pat Day
2) Vespone, 12-1, Frankie Dettori
3) Sweet Return, 7-2, Jerry Bailey
4) Kicken Kris, 8-1, Kent Desormeaux
5) Sabiango, 6-1, Victor Espinoza
6) Mystery Giver, 15-1, Rene Douglas
7) Epalo, 8-1, Andrasch Starke
8) Senor Swinger, 12-1, Brice Blanc
9) Vangelis, 10-1, Jose Valdivia Jr.
10) Powerscourt, 4-1, Jamie Spencer
11) Hatif, 50-1, Mike Smith
12) Magistretti, 30-1, Edgar Prado
13) Mobil, 20-1, Jono Jones

An interesting note: Sabiango is owned by Monty Roberts, the real-life 'Horse Whisperer'. Sabiango won the Grade I Charles Whittingham Memorial in June.

Also in the news: Seven Moons ran yesterday at Saratoga, but was rank throughout and finished off the board.

Johar

Medalist
Poor Seven Moons. Ugh!

Well, Sunday Silence has a son running in a Godolphin 7-Stars race in England tomorrow. He's not in my stable, though.

Horse Name: SUNDAY SYMPHONY (GB)

Race Details: Learndirect Maiden Stakes
8f 2-y-o

Race Course: NEWMARKET, UNITED KINGDOM

Date: Friday, August 13, 2004

Last edited:

bronxgirl

Medalist
I always have a soft spot for any horse owned by Monty Roberts. I loved reading about his method for horse training. It seems so intuitive and humane. :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Johar

Medalist
Scipion, a half to Vindication, won at first asking on August 14, 2004 by 1 3/4 lengths in a seven-furlong dirt maiden at Saratoga.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Correction. Funny Cide will be running at Saratoga NEXT SUNDAY, August 22. The weather should be great, in the low 70's and not too hot for the 'Cide.

There was a disqualification from 1st to 4th for the English horse Powerscourt in the Grade I Arlington Million today. As a result of the disqualification, Kicken Kris was 1st, 24-1 shot Magistretti was 2nd, and 4-1 post time favorite Epalo was 3rd.

Balto Star faded to 3rd in the Grade I Sword Dancer at Saratoga. 7-1 longshot Better Talk Now won, and Request for Parole was second.

Speightstown equaled the Saratoga track record of 1:08 winning the Grade II Alfred G. Vanderbilt. He hooked up with frontrunner Mike's Classic in the backstretch and they dueled all the way until the last furlong, when Speightstown pulled away, with Gators N Bears and Clockstopper closing fast. Speightstown was more than equal to the new challengers, and hit the finish line 1 1/2 lengths ahead of Clockstopper, while Gators N Bears came again to finish 3rd.

I was at Philadelphia Park today to see Smarty Jones's farewell to his fans. It should have been a celebration, but it was a sad thing. Here is this small, strong, beautiful horse with so much talent, and he will never race again. He will never be on the list of great horses, and if one of the 3YOs he beat goes on to win a big race or two, Smarty may not even get an Eclipse award. :(

euterpe

Medalist
I am still bummed out about Smarty's career coming to an end. He could have been one of the really great ones, if MONEY hadn't intervened. :cry:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looks like Bob Baffert has another good one. 2YO Roman Ruler got off to a belated start in the Grade II Best Pal Stakes at Delmar yesterday, but he rallied and won the 6.5 furlong race by 7 lengths, despite having to alter course in the backstretch when Wetherly broke down and lost rider Desmormeaux (Wetherly was later euthanized). Roman Ruler is the sun of Fusaichi Pegasus and seems headed for the Triple Crown, barring injury.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Way to early for me to project precocious 2 year olds to the first Saturday of May in their 3 year old year :sheesh:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Too soon? Yes, but the media keeps doing it. During the telecast, they kept referring to Officer, another precocious 2YO touted as a Derby hope who never ran at Churchill Downs.

Let's just hope that Roman Ruler doesn't win the Breeders' Cup Juvenile. That's the kiss of death for a 3YO career. :rolleye:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another big weekend for racing is coming up. Lots of questions will be answered in the 2YO fillies and colts, 3YO fillies and older horses division.

Friday (8/20) Stakes:
SPINAWAY (Saratoga, Grade II, $250K, 7 furlongs, 2YO fillies)
The field for the Spinaway Stakes, in post position order, with jockey / weight:
1. Classic Elegance, Pat Day, 121
2. Punch Appeal, Cornelio Velasquez, 121
3. Miss Matched, Robby Albarado, 121
4. Sense of Style, Edgar Prado, 121
5. Portsea, John Velazquez, 121
6. Play With Fire, Pablo Fragoso, 121
7. Broadway Gold, Jerry Bailey, 121

Saturday (8/21) Stakes:
HOPEFUL (Saratoga, Grade I, $250K, 7 furlongs, 2YO colts and geldings)
Probable starters:
Afleet Alex
Consolidator
Devils Disciple
Flamenco
Storm Surge
Wild Nature (GB)
Winning Expression
Possible starter:
Proud Accolade

ALABAMA (Saratoga, Grade I, $750K, 1.25 mi, 3YO fillies)
This 3rd leg in the 3YO filly Triple Tiara will feature
Ashado – winner of 2nd leg Coaching Club American Oaks
Stellar Jayne – winner of 1st leg Mother Goose Stakes
Susan’s Angel
Yearly Report
Last Song
A Lulu Ofa Menifee
A Song in A Minor,
Fleet Indian
Honor Point

Both of these races, plus the Del Mar Oaks ($300K, 9 furlongs, Grade IT, 3YO fillies), will be televised on ESPN Saturday at 5PM EDT.

Sunday (8/22) Stakes:
PACIFIC CLASSIC (Del Mar, Grade I, $1M, 1.25 mi, 3YO and up)
The field, in post position order with riders (all carry 124 lbs):
1. El Elogiado, Kent Desormeaux, 30-1
2. Colonial Colony, Rafael Bejarano, 8-1
3. Choctaw Nation, Victor Espinoza, 9-2
4. Perfect Drift, Pat Day, 7-2
5. Pleasantly Perfect, Jerry Bailey, 6-5
6. Total Impact, Mike Smith, 6-1
7. Night Patrol, Tyler Baze, 20-1
8. During, Corey Nakatani, 12-1

SARATOGA BREEDERS’ CUP HANDICAP (Saratoga, Grade II, $300K, 1.25 mi, 3YO and up)
Confirmed starters/weights:
Funny Cide (118)
Alumni Hall (115)
Evening Attire (115)
Sarava (115)
Colita (112).
Possible starters/weights:
Bowman's Band (116)
Presidentialaffair (115)
Country Be Gold (113)

Both of these races plus the Longacres Mile (Emerald Downs, Grade III, $250K, 3YO and up) will be televised Sunday on ESPN2 at 7pm EDT.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Go Funny Cide! Win one at the Spa for the home team! (at least one of my favorite horses is still running :) )

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sense of Style ran away with the Spinaway, and Afleet Alex showed that the hype about him isn't just hype. These 2YOs are awesome!

Allen Jerkens lived up to his title as master of the upset when his filly Society Selection ran right past the duelling Ashada and Stellar Jayne in the stretch to take the Alabama.

Funny Cide was hooked into a speed duel early on, and continued to vie with Jerkens' Bowman's Band down the stretch in the Saratoga Breeders Cup Handicap. The two failed to take notice of my old pal Evening Attire who made a sweeping move past them to win it all, just 4/5s of a second off the track record.

Pleasantly Perfect is indeed perfect--recovered from his Dubai World Cup and winner of the Pacific Classic. Perfect Drift and Total Impact completed the Trifecta.

bronxgirl

Medalist
I think Funny Cide needs a new trainer - he showed too much ability as a 3 year old to be performing this way as a handicap horse.

euterpe

Medalist
I think it's a lot harder to beat older horses than it was to beat other 3YOs.
But Funny Cide hasn't disgraced himself in any of his races this year. He's finished in the money, most often 2nd, in graded stakes races.

Funny Cide is a gelding, and many geldings don't reach their full stride until they are 5 or 6. He'll be around for at least 5 more years. Give him time to come into his own.