Horseracing News | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Horseracing News

Johar

Medalist
Lambert Point, a half to Point Given, bombed badly in her first start, finishing 10 of 11 at Keeneland yesterday. The horse she beat was eased, too. People who saw her said she has an awful gait and isn't very pretty, but does have an unusual, pretty facial marking. I'll try to get photos of her.

Last edited:

John King

Final Flight
Bad pun time

There was a report that 4 horses who competed in the Greek Olympics have tested positive for banned substances.I guess they forgot these words of wisdom:Just Say Nay! :biggrin:

bronxgirl

Medalist
I remember reading that Ireland may lose its only Gold as the horse that won the individual show jumping had some banned substance in the first test. Haven't heard anything on what happened with the back-up.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That will be Azeri's last race, I believe. I just wish she would have had it in a race she'd be able to win. Leave it to Wayne Lukas to put her in the Classic. Maybe he thinks that like Cat Thief, she can do the unexpected.

Does anyone think that Birdstone has a realistic chance to win the Classic and steal Eclipse honors from Smarty Jones?

Johar

Medalist
I think Birdstone could pull off an upset.

Ghostzapper will be interesting to watch. He is pure speed but also has endurance.

Azeri could not beat Storm Flag Flying at 1 1/4 miles, and the final time of that race was slow. Against speecier horses she may be cooked.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Why are they putting Azeri in the Classic? I love her, but I don't think she can beat the older horses in the Classic. I just hope she doesn't get hurt.

euterpe

Medalist
I looked at the Racing Form for the Beyer speed figures for the Classic horses. Birdstone has a top of 108 for the Travers. Ghostzapper had two Beyers in the 120's this summer; Funny Cide and Pleasantly Perfect got 112 in their last races, and most of their races are in 114-118 range. Roses in May is in that range, too, as is Perfect Drift.

If you bet Birdstone, you wouldn't get a good price anyway. I'm rooting for Funny Cide or Pleasantly Perfect to win. The one concern I have about FC is the heat. It's pretty warm in that part of Texas this time of the year. Heat seems to take the starch out of him.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, Ghostzapper proved that the 128 and 120 Beyers weren't an exaggeration. The horse was simply phenomenal winning the Breeders' Cup Classic and will probably win Horse of the Year honors. Ghostzapper is a 4YO and owner Frank Stronach (that Austrian-Canadian guy who owns all the racetracks) says the 'zapper will run as a 5YO. Roses in May ran a gutsy race to place second, and this was his only loss in 2004 (he's won 5 races in a row, including the Whitney at Saratoga).

Birdstone was 7th, so it looks like the 3YO Eclipse award will go to Smarty Jones.

Better Talk Now at 28-1 was the surprise winner of the Turf, and I had bet him across the board because he had a previous win at the 1.5 mile distance on a yielding turf, and the Lone Star turf was yielding.

That followed the surprise win of European horse Wilko in the Juvenile, also at 28-1. And I had Wilko across the board, too!

Interesting side note: Classics winner Ghostzapper and Juvenile winner Wilko are both sons of Awesome Again, who won the Breeders' Cup Classic in 1998.

Johar

Medalist
Six Perfections, Birdstone and Pleasantly Perfect have been retired.

Halfbridled, from last year's BC, has been retired as well. She never was good after that race.

Azeri will continue to race :biggrin: Now, I knew she wasn't going to win the BC Classic, but I still like her alot.

Lambert Point, the half to Point Given, finished a badly beaten 9th and last. It was her second start. In her first start she finished 10th out of 11 and was some 25 lengths behind the winner. People who have seen her run in person say she moves badly.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Azeri is scheduled to be bred next spring, but will still continue to race. Wish her luck as a future dam of champions and a successful racing season.

Johar

Medalist
Harlington is entered to run on November 25, 2004 at AQUEDUCT

Your comments for this horse were: '02 Unbridled x Serena's Song colt

Race: 5 Distance: One Mile Surface: Dirt Age: 2 Sex: Colt
Race Type: Maiden Special Weight Purse: $46000
Jockey: John R. Velazquez
Trainer: Todd A. Pletcher

Johar

Medalist
The card for Harlington scratched due to unsafe track conditions.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hollywood Park - November 28th, 2004 - Race 7
Matriarch S. - Grade: 1
Estimated Local Post Time: 3:35 PM
Race Type: Stakes
Breed: Thoroughbred race
Age Restriction: Three Year Old and Upward
Sex: Fillies and Mares
Purse: $500,000
Distance: One Mile
Surface: Turf

Post Horse Name Age Sex Weight Jockey Name
1 Hoh Buzzard (IRE) 4 Filly 123 David Romero Flores
2 Quero Quero (KY) 4 Filly 123 Corey S. Nakatani
3 Denebola (KY) 3 Filly 120 Gary L. Stevens
4 Intercontinental (GB) 4 Filly 123 Jerry D. Bailey
5 Ocean Drive (KY) 4 Filly 123 John R. Velazquez
6 Ticker Tape (GB) 3 Filly 120 Victor Espinoza
7 Musical Chimes (KY) 4 Filly 123 Kent J. Desormeaux
8 Island Fashion (KY) 4 Filly 123 Tyler Baze
9 Etoile Montante (KY) 4 Filly 123 Edgar S. Prado

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clark H. Nov. 26 Churchill Downs #11

1. Colonial Colony (Pleasant Colony), Pat Day, 116, Dallas Stewart;

2. Saint Liam (Saint Ballado), Edgar Prado, 117, Richard Dutrow, Jr.;

3. Seek Gold (Touch Gold), Larry Melancon, 111, Nick Zito;

4. Lundy's Liability [BRZ] (Candy Stripes), David Flores, 120, Bobby Frankel;

5. Sir Cherokee (Cherokee Run), Brice Blanc, 116, Michael Tomlinson;

6. Suave (A.P. Indy), Dean Sarvis, 113, Paul McGee;

7. Fantasticat (Storm Cat), Eddie Martin, Jr., 113, Bobby Barnett;

8. Eurosilver (Unbridled's Song), Javier Castellano, 113, Carl Nafzger;

9. Perfect Drift (Dynaformer), Kent Desormeaux, 118, Murray Johnson; and

10. Pies Prospect (Crafty Prospector), John McKee, 112, Nick Zito.

Last edited:

Johar

Medalist
28-year-old stallion Private Account died of old age at Claiborne. He was the sire of Personal Ensign, Private terms, etc.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Probably owned by a doctor (boards are required for most HMOs and hospital admitting privileges) What a beauty. I've loved black horses ever since I read the Black Stallion as a kid. :love:

Johar

Medalist
Board Elligible

Owner: Rudina Stable
Breeder: Dr. Bernard Abramovici :laugh:

31(8-7-10) $412,621 as of Nov. 28.