How come....? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

How come....?

BelleFilleYuna

On the Ice
No, I am not surprised because they are part of my life. But yeah, I am surprised that there is a term like "metrosexual" to specifically describe them.

Tell me about it.

But to be honest, as rampant as metrosexual is, I sometimes think it weird men sitting in a beauty parlor for three to four hours to have their hairs permed and dyed or getting a facial and stuff lying on a bed and being obsessed with designer clothes....but then I must be having a double standard, right??:p
It's just in my days very few men seem to care about these things and sometimes it's strange to me. And I'm not even that old!! A decade seems to be enough to change the norm.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Exactly! These guys who secretly watch project runway talk "fashion is gay, fs is gay" bs. I think this is almost exclusively American phenomenon.
I grew up in Manhattan, and I found most people, including my own father and brothers, comfortable with 'metrosexuality'. Now, I go to college in a small town, and I observe all kinds of bias and ignorance everyday. This is not to look down upon coutryside dwellers. I just want to know why..

I don't think it's exclusively American - the same thing happens here in the UK too.

Ant

chocola

Rinkside
watching beautiful Kristi Yamaguchi on Today Show which makes me forget all the headaches we've been talking about on this forum :love:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Yes it is - don't forget we pick up most expressions over here that are used in the US.

Ant

Oh, thanks Ant for your info!

BTW, the posters who are comfortable with guys' being fashionable and beautiful, do you like men's FS costumes looking like an extention of everyday cloth? Or do you consider FS costumes to be completely independent of everyday life? I've just realized that traditional FS costumes are pretty unusual and special compared to everyday cloths, perhaps not too much so for some women (if you wear fancy cloths), but perhaps very true for men. But some of the male skaters wear pretty simple outfits that look almost like an everyday cloth.

I geneally like both types of costumes.

On the one hand, I loved it when Jeff wore very simple costumes that almost looked like everyday-life outfits, such as Adios Nonino costumes (I actually thought them to be practice outfits), or something like formal wears, such as the Olympic LP shirt in deep wine. Shawn's LP costume was also pretty simple. I think that I enjoy these costumes as if I were looking at guys' fashion on street and at parties.

On the other hand, I also absolutely love the Johnny-type of flamboyant costumes that you could wear nowhere but on the rink. I loved all of Johnny's costumes, Adam's black/white costume at SA, Daisuke's black-swan costume and Rafmaninoff (spelling?) purple costume. Although flamboyant costumes are more typical and traditional in FS, I feel that it may be more challenging for the designer to make them look fashionable because these are so independent of the fashion trend outside of FS. Indeed, many of the flamboyant ones that I saw at SC were zzz... and Evan's costume did not even stand out (!). But when designed nicely, I love flamboyant costumes just as much as "simple" ones.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it depends, I think, on the program... and the costume itself... I like the more understated costumes, but then I also like the outrageously loud that Jef Billings is known for creating for skaters like Kurt and Scott to wear...

I like some of Johnny's costumes, but his 2005 SP costume was too much like a warm up suit our high school cheerleaders had - and I'm not saying he's girly or anything like that - it just, for me, took away from the program because I kept making that connection. It distracted instead of helped lol