How do they decide who goes first in events? | Golden Skate

How do they decide who goes first in events?

CDMM1991

Medalist
There is a draw at every individual competition before the event starts in which skaters pick numbers from a bag to determine what order they will skate in.

MsLutzy

Rinkside
It's all random. At small events where lots of people compete like at my rink, they don't actually pick numbers from a bag, they just generate a random order from the computer.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
So it is completely random that the "top contenders" just happen to be last most often? This seems hard to believe, or is this a "TV trick" that they just air them towards the end.

Numbers Cruncher

Rinkside
Starting order

The starting orders differ depending on whether the competition is qualifying or non-qualifying. For qualifying competitions the rules are very strict, you'd need a rules book to say exactly how orders are chosen.

But let's say you have 18 skaters in the short program. For the freeskate you'll have three groups of six, the top six in the short will skate in the last group, the bottom six in the short will skate in the first group and the middle stay middle. That's why you always see the best skate last. Within those groups you'll have a draw to see who skates when.

If you really want to get technical I'll get my rulebook....:eek:

NC

I have read that for the big events broadcast live, like nationals, the TV people are pushing for changes to make for a more dramatic show. They want, so I understand, to have two draws for the final flight of six, so that the top three after the short program will go last (in random order), and numbers 4 - 6 first.

The new executive director, coming from a background in television producing and public relations rather than skating, seems to be receptive to this sort of thing, as I understand it.

Is anything like this in the works, Numberscruncher?

Mathman :)

Numbers Cruncher

Rinkside
TV Rule

Mathman,

It's already in place for US Nats.

"At the U.S. Figure Skating Championships only, for the championship (senior) ladies, men, and pairs free skate, and for championship (senior) free dance events, the final draw group shall consist of:
Ladies and men: six (6) competitiors in the final group;
a. Starting order for the final group will be drawn in two sub-groups.
i. The top three (3) finishers in the short program shall be the last to skate in the final group, and will be drawn from one(1) subgroup.
ii. The 4th, 5th and 6th place finishers in the short program will be the firstt to skate in the final group, and will draw from the other subgroup;
Pairs: four(4) couple in the final group;
Dance: five (5) couple in the final group."

All starting orders are tied to the maximum numbers allowed in warm-up groups, there are tables galore. No accountant ever goes to a competition without their rule book. The experienced accountants just love to watch us junior folk run to our books to try to figure this stuff out! But they also tell us, "Never think you know it, always check!"

NC

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Great answers Numbers Cruncher, it is hard for me to believe you are new to this board. I am glad you are hear, excellent information! I couldn't possibly belive that it was a truly random draw from a hat for the TV events at least.

Thanks Again,
S

Numbers Cruncher

Rinkside
Orders

Seanibu - Glad to help, it's always fun to pull out my rule book and dig around for things.

I've been around the board for more than a year, but rarely post because I'm more of a fact person and not much for speculation. It's just fun to see what's happening with skaters and those who love them.

NC