How does one deal with a person(s) who invite themselves along? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How does one deal with a person(s) who invite themselves along?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
/Also, i would highly dicourage you from suggesting a joint vacation together in the future, unless you really want that! Vacations are precious, & too rare to be wasted w someone who makes you not enjoy it.

just because I offer it doesn't mean it will happen... they're pretty strict as to how they vacation, and in a few years they're planning to move out of country so... ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Good Luck Toni & keep us posted!

So I finally got a message back about the Itinerary that we have for the full day (I posted a photo of it on facebook last night as part of my "countdown" I have going). Get this - now she wants me to get with her daughter (my friend) to "fully plan out the days". Um... but... that's micromanaging. I've blown her off, told her that we have been chosen to be testers for a new system Disney has (this is not a lie, we were chosen to test out their magic bands!) and so we can't plan certain things (like specific times) to do attractions and what not because we can't use the same "fastpass" system (I think only Gail will understand all of this lol). Now she's telling me we shouldn't use the new system. Too late, already signed up, can't cancel. (Also not lying... once we clicked yes we were told we can't opt out again.)

louisa05

Final Flight
just because I offer it doesn't mean it will happen... they're pretty strict as to how they vacation, and in a few years they're planning to move out of country so... ;)

Oh, honey, don't fall for the "they are moving far away soon" thing. We fell for that one with my mother-in-law's truly horrifying friend and all agreed to let her join the family for the Easter holiday as we were told it isn't like it would be a permanent thing, she's moving out of state in a few months.

That was five years go and the awful woman still has not moved and has been at every family holiday since spewing her negativity and insults. If we had money, we might pay her moving expenses just to get rid of her.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah this one is already a done deal... I shouldn't say few years, more like 18 months (if that)... they have their work/visas/etc...

even if it falls through, my family isn't planning on another vacation for a LONG time... and I won't be giving them a reason to latch on to another vacation...

Oh, honey, don't fall for the "they are moving far away soon" thing. We fell for that one with my mother-in-law's truly horrifying friend and all agreed to let her join the family for the Easter holiday as we were told it isn't like it would be a permanent thing, she's moving out of state in a few months.

That was five years go and the awful woman still has not moved and has been at every family holiday since spewing her negativity and insults. If we had money, we might pay her moving expenses just to get rid of her.

I am truly sorry to hear it. She sounds like Aunt Mary Maria in Anne of Ingleside. Too bad one of your relatives can't put on an iron-ribbed, majestic persona and tell her, "Dear, either you behave yourself, or you won't be welcome here anymore." Or even just, "You are always welcome here, but if you are here, you will be expected to keep your insults to yourself." Alas, most of us are too polite to meet such folk on their own ground.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Dear me, I have loved the L.M Montgomery books for years. When I reread them a few years ago, I found I loved them just as much as I did when I was 12. Aunt Mary Maria indeed!

Dear me, I have loved the L.M Montgomery books for years. When I reread them a few years ago, I found I loved them just as much as I did when I was 12. Aunt Mary Maria indeed!

I still treasure my Anne books. I read and reread them through childhood, and when I reread them as an adult, I realize what a good writer she is. She has a distinctive, colorful narrative voice and a gift for sharing emotions believably. She is especially adept at depicting a community with its share of personalities of all ages. One of my favorite Montgomery creations is Mrs. Rachel Lynde. And her short stories (in such collections as Chronicles of Avonlea) are among the best around for any age group. I'm so glad to encounter another fan here.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Did you ever read any of her non-Anne books? Of them, I particularly liked A Tangled Web & My Blue Castle.

I have those two books but haven't read them. I did read the trilogy about Emily of New Moon (apparently among Madeleine L'Engle's favorite books, which is where I first heard of them). I didn't warm to them as much as Anne. But I'll put your two recommendations on my tower of "to read" books.

Since I love children's lit, I often reread stuff I read as a kid, and I also have also read kid books (for various ages) for the first time as an adult. It strikes me that the best books for young people can be enjoyed and even treasured by a receptive first-time adult reader. Other books can be cherished by a child but have no intrinsic pull, and only the adults who loved them when young can enjoy them in maturity. Montgomery's books can be approached at any age because they're the Real Thing.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, I agree. I didn't like the Emily books as much as either the Anne books or the two I mentioned, but they were still well worth reading. The several Canadian TV miniseries with Megan Follows as Anne & Colleen Dewhurst as Marilla was an especially good translation of books to TV

louisa05

Final Flight
I am truly sorry to hear it. She sounds like Aunt Mary Maria in Anne of Ingleside. Too bad one of your relatives can't put on an iron-ribbed, majestic persona and tell her, "Dear, either you behave yourself, or you won't be welcome here anymore." Or even just, "You are always welcome here, but if you are here, you will be expected to keep your insults to yourself." Alas, most of us are too polite to meet such folk on their own ground.

Oh, dear, she is. Never thought of that. Thanks for the laugh!!

This is at the in-laws so I can't say a damn thing. We tend to leave really early these days.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Tonichelle, a person cannot please everyone and in this case you should just concentrate on your own family and the vacation you have planned with them. Ignore her as much as politely possible and if necessary repeat again and again with a friendly smile: "Sorry, but this is the way we have planned with the family". Every time after that just change the subject by making some remark, which you can plan several beforehand.

Don´t let her spoil your vacation!!!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Ah, another lover of children's lit! Also dearly love the Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingles Wilder. I reread that series every few years.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I played "Miss Stacey" (poofy sleeves and all) in our high school's production of Anne of Green Gables... it's been forever since I've read the books, though.

Ah, another lover of children's lit! Also dearly love the Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingles Wilder. I reread that series every few years.

An amazing writer Wilder turned out to be, and I think she was in her sixties when she published her first book. In fact, her daughter, Rose Wilder Lane, published before she did. A funny event I read about: a fan wrote Laura that someone had plagiarized something from one of her books, and it turned out that the fan had read a novel of Rose's describing an event that Laura's book told about as an experience of young Laura. "It's all right," Laura wrote the fan. "She's my daughter."

Gee, maybe we should all go on vacation together. We'd get along much better than some of the people who dampen our real-life holidays. I, however, would only go on the chicken rides at Disneyland. Anyone equally lily-livered can stay behind with me and talk books.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Gee, maybe we should all go on vacation together. We'd get along much better than some of the people who dampen our real-life holidays. I, however, would only go on the chicken rides at Disneyland. Anyone equally lily-livered can stay behind with me and talk books.

Don't do Disneyland, then, go to Disney World... we'll go to EPCOT, pretty sure that'd be more your speed (and it's a LOT of fun without going on rides).

heyang

Record Breaker
Yes, I agree. I didn't like the Emily books as much as either the Anne books or the two I mentioned, but they were still well worth reading. The several Canadian TV miniseries with Megan Follows as Anne & Colleen Dewhurst as Marilla was an especially good translation of books to TV

I read the 1st 4 of 8 of the Anne books. I discovered them when reading a book named Mine for Keeps. I've discovered many books by reading references to them in other books.

I also loved the 1st 2 of 3 of the Anne miniseries. I bought all 3 on DVD after watching them on PBS. Megan Follows truly epitomized Anne IMHO.