How important is costuming? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

How important is costuming?

melmel

On the Ice
Gotta agree with you on this one. The costume has no redeeming qualities. :noshake:

I just don't understand why the fake tank top. My brain can't compute.:scratch2:

But I wouldn't want Yuzu to let go of his love of frills and sequins, or anyone else who likes it. Good costumes and bad costumes are part of my reason for watching skating.

Same ! I love the glitter and the sparkles and the frills and the weirdness sometimes as much as I love the sobriety of others in all the disciplines. :hap93: Figure skating wouldn't be the same without those costumes as pretty or as horrible the are.
(also when you have a bad eyesight, it helps to distinguish who is who during the warmup)

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
While some of the costumes are great to laugh at, I really don't mind because they don't effect the skating. Yuzu's lettuce top was just... lovely but the program and the skating were still great!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Who design's Leonova's Costumes? Well, with the exception of her long program from this season. I always think she looks great and her costumes fit her perfectly.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't remember where it happened but, we were discussing under garments for men. I remember mentioning Johnny's Otonol Unitard. Johnny is Very slim on TV which means he must be a twig in person.

I'd like to know what Adam Rippon wears under his costumes because that boy has giant legs and a HUGE Butt....I haven't seen him in a Unitard since 2010 when he wore this costume. He looked great in it and I loved this performance.

Adam Rippon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pHhqa7b1yA

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist
I've been thinking about this a lot and I'm not sure how much costuming really "makes or breaks" a program. I understand how insanely difficult it must be to find the right color, fabric, and style to look good on the skater AND look good when that skater is on the ice and under the bright lights. And also be functional for the skating that they are doing.

I thought that those pants and boots that Jason Brown had for his LP last season were the worst things he could have EVER worn and I can't believe they waited until Worlds to change them.

I thought Joshua Farris' SP costume from last season was one of the best men's costumes I had seen in awhile on a man - both in how it looked on him and how it looked on the ice. But I thought he should have gone with something a tad grayer than that top for his Schindler's List LP. I think it's really hard to look good with that light color on the ice and have the pale complexion that Joshua has. Sometimes I thought he looked too "washed out".

I've noticed that a lot of skaters just go with something black, dark blue, red, or even purple. Those colors look good on most people. It's when you go to light or bright shades that you have to be careful. Some skin tones just can't make certain colors work.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I like the costume aspect of figure skating, even the awful ones - we have websites dedicated to the ugly/awkward/inappropriate, that make for interesting discussions

http://skatingfugly.tumblr.com/

And, we have the stunning costumes that leave us breathless and make iconic routines, and give us things to talk about for years.

Thank you--what a wonderful site.

Figure skating IS camp and a HUGE part of the enjoyment for us dedicated aficionados of camp ARE the tacky, gaudy, giltzy, ritzy chintzy, OTT costumes. Look, I may personally think the Shakers truly understood the concept of "Simplicity is elegance," but I'm not sure anyone would ever accuse them of being Fun Monsters. And a costume monstrosity IS fun. What's wrong with that?

Layback11

Record Breaker
Thank you--what a wonderful site.

Figure skating IS camp and a HUGE part of the enjoyment for us dedicated aficionados of camp ARE the tacky, gaudy, giltzy, ritzy chintzy, OTT costumes. Look, I may personally think the Shakers truly understood the concept of "Simplicity is elegance," but I'm not sure anyone would ever accuse them of being Fun Monsters. And a costume monstrosity IS fun. What's wrong with that?

Nothing, until you get sued for inflicting severe cornea burns on your fans with it. :biggrin:

moriel

Record Breaker
I don't remember where it happened but, we were discussing under garments for men. I remember mentioning Johnny's Otonol Unitard. Johnny is Very slim on TV which means he must be a twig in person.

I'd like to know what Adam Rippon wears under his costumes because that boy has giant legs and a HUGE Butt....I haven't seen him in a Unitard since 2010 when he wore this costume. He looked great in it and I loved this performance.

Adam Rippon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pHhqa7b1yA

I'm actually quite curious of skating men underwear...
Because well, they don't look like they use that ballet undies, for example. But i suppose just plain normal underwear would not be comfortable either.

Alex D

Record Breaker
I think, for the Ladies the dresses are very important, so is the styling. But, I have to admit, at times when you meet them you feel so underdressed, all that beauty and then my blue jacket...

But girls like to style up, the hard part is to find one that doesn't need an hour every morning in the bathroom!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think, for the Ladies the dresses are very important, so is the styling. But, I have to admit, at times when you meet them you feel so underdressed, all that beauty and then my blue jacket...

But girls like to style up, the hard part is to find one that doesn't need an hour every morning in the bathroom!

Oooh, Alex D, please don't stereotype like that...the only time I spend an hour in the bathroom on my appearance is when I am competing! :biggrin:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Speaking of Costuming. What do you think of skaters who skate with their hair down? I just watched an interview with Kaetlyn Osmond and she looks like different person with her hair down. I guess it depends on the music selection but, personally, I'd rather a skater wear their hair up stylishly than down and wild. Even if a skater were performing to Janice Joplin, I'd rather the "wild feel" of the music come from the costuming, make up, and facial expression, rather than a skater whipping and flipping their hair. A situation I often encountered when I was judging

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Speaking of Costuming. What do you think of skaters who skate with their hair down? I just watched an interview with Kaetlyn Osmond and she looks like different person with her hair down. I guess it depends on the music selection but, personally, I'd rather a skater wear their hair up stylishly than down and wild. Even if a skater were performing to Janice Joplin, I'd rather the "wild feel" of the music come from the costuming, make up, and facial expression, rather than a skater whipping and flipping their hair. A situation I often encountered when I was judging

Which is why Jason has the ponytail. When he was young, judges told Kori that all that hair whipping about was distracting. (and he has quite a mess of tangled hair, as you may know). No "whip my hair" here. :biggrin: Me, I'm a huge fan of product, male or female: schmuss it down til it can't be schmussed no more....

mrrice

Record Breaker
Which is why Jason has the ponytail. When he was young, judges told Kori that all that hair whipping about was distracting. (and he has quite a mess of tangled hair, as you may know). No "whip my hair" here. :biggrin: Me, I'm a huge fan of product, male or female: schmuss it down til it can't be schmussed no more....

Exactly......It's Paula Abdul's fault. Or maybe Janet Jackson but, there is nothing more distracting than trying to get the feel and character of a program than wild distracting hair.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

In my opinion, depending on the costume, hair down or in a half-up-half-down would look better. However, if a skater has bangs like Meagan Duhamel, they should pin them back. For really really long hair, like I saw with Lorraine McNamara in her and Quinn Carpenter's SD this year, her hair was in a half-up-half-down. And it worked for the costume that she wore. However, I kept seeing hair go to her face and I always got nervous that she wouldn't be able to see what she was doing. So Maybe find a clip, or do another hair design that will lessen the risk.

But sometimes I feel like buns are too much and would prefer more ponytails.