How much longer for Hanyu/Fernandez/Chan? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How much longer for Hanyu/Fernandez/Chan?

Biellmann

Match Penalty
Huh? With Boyang Jin's progres, Nathan's potential for combining technical with artistic, Shoma's charisma, Jun Hwan Cha's body movement, Samohin's audacity, Samarin's music choices and so on, the future looks quite bright.

Jumps, jumps, jumps, and not even clean rotated jumps, aggressive jumping and empty programs, ugly spins, that's all i see. There's nothing else. Charisma? Where? :confused:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Has Yuzuru really said that he will retire after 2018? I cannot believe that. Patrick and Javier, sure, but Yuzuru is still so young?!?! I would not group Javier and Chan in the same age racket...for me personally they are more in the Takahashi, Ten, Oda, Kozuka group.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I am sure Chan and Fernandez will retire after the Olympics, or at the end of the season. Fernandez might compete at the Worlds 2018 because it will be held in Milan, not far away from his own country, so that would be a great occasion to say goodbye to his fans around the world.
I am not sure about Hanyu though. It may depend on several reasons, like how he performs at the Olympics, will he be injury free etc. I think if he doesn't win gold or even a medal then he may continue for at least a season.

I really really like this generation of men skaters. Hanyu, Fernandez and Chan are a great 'trio' because all of them are very different but superb skaters. Hanyu and Chan are amongst the bests ever, so...and I also like that there is this new generation, Shoma, Chen, Deniss, Samohin. I started to get into men's skating again after the 2010 Olympics, and season by season it becamse more excited every time. Sochi was also great because there was this veteran generation of Plushenko and Joubert, then the more experienced ones, e.g. Fernandez, Chan and Ten, and the newbies, like Hanyu.

I And my prediction is there is no Olympics held in 2022. I'm concerned about war on the Korean Peninsula or in Asia derailing 2018.

The world is simply gone mad.

What? Why there would be a war on the Korean peninsula or huge problems in Asia in general? :scratch2: :confused:

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
This is recent interview of Hanyu: "After hurting my left instep joint, the least burdensome jump to my left foot is 4Lz and 4Lo. Although I am not suggesting that it will be added to my programme next season, I think it is better to start (becoming an asset) as soon as possible."

now , if that is not a bit of confirmation that he is not planning to stop after 2018 I don't know what it is :think:

Senescal

Rinkside
Patrick and Javi probably will retire after olympics.

My doubts are about Yuzu, I believe is an issue about motivation. He will continue skating as fas as he can find motivation in the new era.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Jumps, jumps, jumps, and not even clean rotated jumps, aggressive jumping and empty programs, ugly spins, that's all i see. There's nothing else. Charisma? Where? :confused:

Well, that is your loss. I'm sure not a fan of every young up and comer Moria mentioned (or the ones other posters mentioned), but there are so many talented men, which are so different in their strengths and styles, and so many of them have something unique. I'm quite surprised someone would just call all of them 'jumps and ugly jumps' and nothing more.
Personally, I love Boyangs commitment to improving his PCS, see the potential in Nathan (although I don't like him that much yet), love Deniss' amazing skating skills and performance quality (which will only get better, since he's with Stephane!), am always entertained by Dany, and really think some of the not-yet-seniors have great potential to become amazing skaters (Sota, Cha and Aliev most of all for me). I'm sure men's skating will be great after 2018 too.

As for the thread question, both Javi and Patrick are very, very likely going to retire after 2018. Maybe if one of them does really, really bad, they might stick around for a 'redemption' season, just to skate well for themselves, but even that would surprise me. Both have had so many great skates over their long careers, they have nothing to prove anymore. I'm sure both will stick around in shows, and I'm looking forward to Javi maybe starting as a coach (we can always do with more handsome coaches :biggrin: )
Yuzu... well, he probably doesn't now at this point in time himself. While I obviously would love for him to stick around longer, IIRC, he originally said he'd retire after 2018 at least partly because everybody has normal human limits, and he's not sure he could put his body through more than that. Looking at all the injuries he's had... sometimes, I think I'd be happier with him retiring earlier, just so that he can stay healthy. OTOH, I think he loves competing, so he'd probably like to stick around longer. Really, I have no idea. I guess he'll at least stay for WC 2019, since it's in Japan. After that, we really can't tell yet - I'm sure any potential further injuries (or his last one flaming up again) are going to be the deciding factors.

Rissa

Record Breaker

What? They're not only jumps.

Shoma Uno has unbelievable charisma, perhaps stronger than Yuzuru and Javier. There's incredible focus and intensity to his skating when his programs go well, that you can feel from nosebleed seats, he projects really strongly. He also displays Daisuke-like danciness which is really impressive. He was the revelation of 2015 GPF for me.

Boyang Jin has that great vibe of fun when he skates. I think he will end up sort of Javi-like type of skater.

Nathan, as I said, has potential rather than accomplishments - in his exhibition he displayed great musicality and ability to smoothly perform fairly complicated choreo - je's got the jumps, he's got the moves, he needs to combine them. Given that he's 17 and already has learnt all the jumps, he will focus on stabilizing them and working on the widely-understood "artistry".

Jun Hwan Cha has good musicality, easy natural elegant body movement that is very reminiscent of Yuzuru and a bit of Yuna Kim. Given that he's in Orser's hand, the component side of his skating is certain to develop.

Daniel Samohin's jumps are a diseaster but when he's relatively on, he's got whacky music choices and shamelessly campy performances that he performs living daylights out of (c'mon, WHY WHY WHY Delilah? with those hand movements, lol, it's performing gold).

Samarin he has some ways to go but he's got interesting programs and decent performance chops.

All these guys have something going on for the besides jumps. They're young, they'll get better, especially in the non-jump department. It's possible that some of them will crash and burn (I'm actually worried about Samohin) but nevertheless, the future looks very bright.

ETA: oh yeah, thanks Li'Kitsu for mentioning Deniss Vassiljevs. He's the opposite of most of the guys I mentioned, he's got pretty great "artistry" for his age, wonderful body movement and some fantastic spins but he needs to learn those quads or he'll get nowhere. (Another of those I'm worrying about, and wonder whether Stephane is actually a good coach for him because he needs to focus on the tech)

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Both Chan and Fernandez have been in 2010, 2014 Olympics. 2018 would be their third. Don't think their body can handle 3-4 quads after 2018.
Yuzuru maybe sticks around for a while, but unlikely to hang on until 2022.

It is my guess but despite Hanyu being young with the increasing quads there is only so much the body can take and if he wins another gold I am thinking he may call it a day and go out on top = still skate but not necessarily competitive. I think many of us thought he would dominate after the olympics ie after 1988 Brian Boitano was unbeatable even on the pro circuit and his challenger Brian Orser soon just became a reliable "Susan Lucci" - always second or behind. I am pretty sure from what Fernandez and Chan have said they will be gone after 2018 for many reasons - the body, age, other interests and pro skating/shows, and this being their third olympics. Hanyu has not dominated like we thought or many thought having loss twice the world title and didn't even win all his GPF - don't misunderstand me but the new jumping bean cnotest has made skating I suppose a lot more unpredictable other than it appears a real clean skate is almost impossible now.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If the big 3 decides to retire/take a season off (mostly aimed at Yuzuru), we have...
-Shoma
-Nathan
-Alex K.
-Vincent
-Boyang
-Sota
-Adian
-Dmitri
-Cha
-Koshiro
-Kazuki

and possibly so much more! I'll miss the trio but the next era looks exciting (in both positive and negative ways) :laugh:

So sad hoping Nam might make the list :( But he hasn't really progressed.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
ETA: oh yeah, thanks Li'Kitsu for mentioning Deniss Vassiljevs. He's the opposite of most of the guys I mentioned, he's got pretty great "artistry" for his age, wonderful body movement and some fantastic spins but he needs to learn those quads or he'll get nowhere. (Another of those I'm worrying about, and wonder whether Stephane is actually a good coach for him because he needs to focus on the tech)

Well, obviously he needs quads, but why would you assume that Stephane doesn't realize that? Did you know Stephane still practices quads himself, every day, even though he has no real reason to do so besides personal motivation? Deniss was injured this summer & wasn't able to start jumping 3A until 2 weeks before Rostelecom Cup. Do you think he's going to just start doing quads out of the blue? I think Stephane cares first and foremost about his health, the way it ought to be.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
So sad hoping Nam might make the list :( But he hasn't really progressed.

That's just the opinion of one person...I think Nam's prospects are just as good, if not better, than some of those other skaters. Especially poor Adian who may never come back at all.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Well, obviously he needs quads, but why would you assume that Stephane doesn't realize that? Did you know Stephane still practices quads himself, every day, even though he has no real reason to do so besides personal motivation? Deniss was injured this summer & wasn't able to start jumping 3A until 2 weeks before Rostelecom Cup. Do you think he's going to just start doing quads out of the blue? I think Stephane cares first and foremost about his health, the way it ought to be.

I'm sure that Stephane realizes that, I just don't know whether he can teach Deniss quads effectively and whether Deniss wouldn't benefit more from a more tech-expert coach. At least part-time. I guess we will wait and see.

ETA: I missed the fact that Denis was injured. Now his lack of form makes more sense to me, and makes me more hopeful for the future. He and Stephane have such an amazing rapport that I would love their partnership to work out.

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
When Hanyu and Javi leave, it will be a huge transition for Orser!

He's got more than enough students to focus on... :laugh: I think Jun Hwan Cha will become his next focus, the next champion-in-training.

However, I recall some interview of Orser's where he was talking about his own retirement, but I don't remember which Olympics he mentioned, 2018 or 2022? He said that emotional investment in his students is so great that he doesn't know how much he will be able to take.

Last edited:

Lambari

Final Flight
It is my guess but despite Hanyu being young with the increasing quads there is only so much the body can take and if he wins another gold I am thinking he may call it a day and go out on top = still skate but not necessarily competitive. I think many of us thought he would dominate after the olympics ie after 1988 Brian Boitano was unbeatable even on the pro circuit and his challenger Brian Orser soon just became a reliable "Susan Lucci" - always second or behind. I am pretty sure from what Fernandez and Chan have said they will be gone after 2018 for many reasons - the body, age, other interests and pro skating/shows, and this being their third olympics. Hanyu has not dominated like we thought or many thought having loss twice the world title and didn't even win all his GPF - don't misunderstand me but the new jumping bean cnotest has made skating I suppose a lot more unpredictable other than it appears a real clean skate is almost impossible now.

Hanyu has won the GPF 3 times in a row. (2013-2014, 2014-2015 and 2015-2016)

I don't think most people though he would dominate at 2012 or before, but if you're counting that, yes he got silver at GPF 2012-2013 and 4th at 2011-2012.

is a real clean skate that much impossible now though? Difficult yes, but Hanyu's ones last season, Shoma's at GPF and others (I don't recall) and Javier's at WC 2016, even Patrick's frees last season show otherwise. That's a decent ratio for the top men, except Javier that had one clean free, but still good considering all of them in my opinion.

Last edited:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Has Yuzuru really said that he will retire after 2018? I cannot believe that. Patrick and Javier, sure, but Yuzuru is still so young?!?!

He has, and only if he's satisfied with how 2018 goes but it was quite some time ago and everything we've been seeing lately seems to suggest he's changed his mind. What Marin mentioned, he seems to be very challenged by the young up and coming skaters and most importantly, when asked what would he do after PC if he won, he said well get more. I do believe the one thing that's important is his health. If that is fine, then he seems to be very energized and willing to compete.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hanyu has won the GPF 3 times in a row. (2013-2014, 2014-2015 and 2015-2016)

I don't think most people though he would dominate at 2012 or before, but if you're counting that, yes he got silver at GPF 2012-2013 and 4th at 2011-2012.

is a real clean skate that much impossible now though? Difficult yes, but Hanyu's ones last season, Shoma's at GPF and others (I don't recall) and Javier's at WC 2016, even Patrick's frees last season show otherwise. That's a decent ratio for the top men, except Javier that had one clean free, but still good considering all of them in my opinion.

oops I meant GP events this year.

narcissa

Record Breaker
oops I meant GP events this year.

I mean, adding a quad loop and doing 4 quads isn't easy. Plus, it was in Canada, and Patrick Chan's PCS were...well, IMO he wouldn't have gotten them if he wasn't skating in Canada (the Canadian judges were giving Hanyu 7's for skating skills?! ...enough said) but that's just my opinion. Hanyu did fall but it was the first GP event he was trying the quad loop so it's not like he's been getting worse at his old layout.

da96103

Record Breaker
This is what that would happen:

Yuzuru Hanyu: He would only retire after he performs the 4Lz and 4Lo combo in the Long Program. Upon retiring, he would become the head coach of Japan and only allows skaters to join the national team if they can do at least 4 different types of quadruples.

Javier Fernandez: He would retire after Olympics 2018. He will pull Miki Ando into the ice after the Olympics FS and propose to her. They would get married in the summer. After one year of domestic life, Javier would miss figure skating and start to train pairs skating with Miki Ando. Ando-Fernandez would the first couple to do side by side Quadruple Salchow and wins the Olympic gold in 2022.

Patrick Chan: He would retire after Olympics 2018. He would get a lucrative contract with ISU to supply ice wine to all medallist in all ISU events for the next 50 years.

Shoma Uno: He would skate for another 20 seasons and he would never age. His would retire suddenly when the Japanese authorities forbid him and his fur coat wearing coach from stealing water from the Fountain of Youth Temple in Nagoya.

Boyang Jin: He would be skating to Superman next season, Batman the season after and would retire when he runs out of Superheroes characters to skate to.

Nathan Chen: He would never do another 3A in his career but for some weird reason was able to acquire the 4A and 4Lo. He would be the first skater to do 8 quadruples in the FS. However because ISU does not want to change the rule of compulsory 3A or 2A in SP, his jump layout in SP is always 4A+3T, 4Lz, 2A.