How short is too short for a blade? | Golden Skate

How short is too short for a blade?

skatingqueen24

Spectator
Hi everyone! I recently returned to skating after about 10 years off and have been researching options for new boots and blades. I wish I could keep my Klingbeils forever šŸ˜­ but my foot is just too wide for them now.

So, I have a new pair of 9.5 inch Paramount Phantom equivalent blades I could use. My question is, would a blade that is a Ā½ inch shorter at the back of the boot be ok to use? My new boots are the Jackson Supreme Pro 5320 and are 10 inches long. Would there be issues with using a 9.5 inch blade instead of a 9.75? Iā€™ve read the flare on the bottom of the fusion heel is more for style, so maybe the length for blades can vary a tad.

I did speak to my tech about this and I believe he said this size would be ok (nothing shorter than 9.5) but I was overwhelmed by all of the options for boots and am honestly not sure if Iā€™m remembering that correctly. Has anyone mounted slightly shorter blades without issue? Thanks in advance for your help!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hi everyone! I recently returned to skating after about 10 years off and have been researching options for new boots and blades. I wish I could keep my Klingbeils forever šŸ˜­ but my foot is just too wide for them now.

So, I have a new pair of 9.5 inch Paramount Phantom equivalent blades I could use. My question is, would a blade that is a Ā½ inch shorter at the back of the boot be ok to use?
The main question is whether your new pair of blades is returnable for refund or exchangeable for a different size. If so, I would go for a 9.75".

But if no (i.e., you're stuck with them anyways), you might as well mount them and try them out. You might need to have the blade mount adjusted later to position the sweet spot a bit better, and you might need to adjust to a bit shorter tail. But given that you've been off ice for 10 yrs and are starting over with new boots and blades anyways, these adjustments are probably minor compared to the overall adjustments you'll be needing to make.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I have Jackson Elite/Supreme Pro 5320s in size 6.5. The sole measures 9.75" and my blades are 9.5". These are MK Dance blades, which would normally be mounted flush from toe to heel, but as the Fusion heel has a cosmetic flare, it's not necessary on this boot. On a heel without the cosmetic flare, I wouldn't countenance the shorter blade.

With a freestyle blade, I prefer the blade to be fitted flush at the toe and about 1/4" in from the heel anyway, so I think you'll probably be okay. Mind you, I'd either return the "Phantom equivalents" or sell them on and buy genuine MK Phantoms in 9.75"!

skatingqueen24

Spectator
Thank you all! :thank: I am stuck with them, so I think Iā€™m going to try them out and see how it goes.

My old skates have the same blade in 9.25ā€, so I might even like that the new tail isnā€™t a huge jump in size. Iā€™ll be trying them out in the next week or two so Iā€™ll try to report back on how it goes! :bsplit: